• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless Motors & Waterproofing...

C3PO

Blu-tac around every plug, hole and connection, its the only way that is non-permenant. The other option is Shoe-Goo, epoxy or some type of sealant.

But 99% of brushless ESC's aren't waterproof either.

But 99% of brushless ESC's aren't waterproof either.

Agreed.. those that say they are "waterproof" are merely splash-proof. which means a couple of drops of water coming off the tyres once in a while won't do any harm if it lands on the ESC , but if you drive through a puddle or park the car in deep melting snow & leave it switched on, then it will fry in an instant.

the way they get round it of course is they don't say "100% waterproof" so chances are they will not be properly waterproof ESC's... that is what they will say at least if you try to argue the case.

Agreed.. those that say they are "waterproof" are merely splash-proof. which means a couple of drops of water coming off the tyres once in a while won't do any harm if it lands on the ESC , but if you drive through a puddle or park the car in deep melting snow & leave it switched on, then it will fry in an instant.

the way they get round it of course is they don't say "100% waterproof" so chances are they will not be properly waterproof ESC's... that is what they will say at least if you try to argue the case.

I'm sure I saw a video of an ESC running a motor with the ESC completely submerged in a tank of water a few years ago...

LRP proving the waterproofability of their Quantum 2 ESC: (FLV file, 5MB)

http://www.lrp.cc/de/media/download/videos...action/?file=75

But from my experience, very few ESC's are truely waterproof (only MRT, and Mtroniks). And no sensored brushless ones at all. In wet racing, most people use wet boxes (a pot or component box that has all the electrics sealed in), but isn't cheap as it means needing a second set of ESC and motor thats sealed up with resin/shoe goo.

My ESC isn't waterproof, so I'll sit out wet meetings. :(

But from my experience, very few ESC's are truely waterproof (only MRT, and Mtroniks). And no sensored brushless ones at all. In wet racing, most people use wet boxes (a pot or component box that has all the electrics sealed in), but isn't cheap as it means needing a second set of ESC and motor thats sealed up with resin/shoe goo.

My ESC isn't waterproof, so I'll sit out wet meetings. :(

true.. i've seen all sorts of waterproofing methods, including even tupperware like boxes that are intended to put dentures in being used to house the electrics & even condoms obtained from the machine in the nearest public toilet or people asking for directions to the nearest Woolworths (OK it was a while ago) or the Early Learning centre to get some plastercine!

What i'm going to do though is keep a pre-soldered & programmed Mtroniks ESC & a brushed motor in my bits box.. then if it was to rain & i'm using brushless, do a quick switch... couple of screws, a couple of connectors & a sticky-pad (although Velcro may be an idea), then it's job done