• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Career Choices

ben_rc

Hey Guys

That time for me to start thinking about Careers etc.

I'm pretty good with computers, so definitely something ICT related, is where I wanna go :)

What careers are they in ICT?

I was thinking, ICT Teacher? What else is there?

Would appreciate some views from people in the know, but any are welcome ;)

Cheers

Ben

i don't know, he did an apprenticeship when he left school with bt but that was 1978-79.

You would have to go round companies such as bt and find out how to get where you want to be in 10/15/20 years time.

I am 17, left school last year and started working as a builders labourer and was made redundant 6 months later due to the company not having enough work during winter so i have been jobless for 4 months now and am sick of being stuck at home with nothing to do.

Hopefully i am going to train as a mechanic, working on landrovers.

What i am trying to say is don't choose 1 thing you would like to do, have a couple of ideas and if you don't like one then you can follow a different career path but the main thing is to get some sort of qualifacations or a trade behind you so that you have got something to fall back on if something goes wrong.

A career in IT may not be that great a choice - Many organisations are looking to (or already have) moved their development and support functions offshore to countries with lower cost labour. The no. of jobs in IT in this country is shrinking, the roles that will be left will be customer facing requirements gathering and business analysis type roles.

- IT seems to be going the same way as manufacturing did in the late 70's and 80's

:( :(

Get into a local supermarket depot in the offices, thats what I did. Decent money, your inside doing something you don't mind doing. Not to mention once your there, you can transfer to different departments & depots.

lol i'm 16 and have no real idea of what i want to do, when i choose my options i just chose 3 that i liked or thought would be useful. :) . But it's probably best to keep your options open for later on because it's possible that you will not do one job for all your life.

Arrgghh, thanks for that somewhat bad, but helpful information. :(

So, whats next?

What could I go into? Not mechanic etc, nothing similar, can't see me doing that.

Something that interests you, basically. I was thinking of ICT and wound up doing photography (and far happier for it) but my qualifications in computing is a massive help, even tho that was on PCs and now I work exclusively on macs. Knowing your way around a computer will help loads in the future and for temp work in the mean time.

Although, back on the ICT point, my dad has been working ICT since the 70s and he's one of the top of engineers looking after MOD computers - if you can get a large skills base and know a fair deal about what you're doing, there are certain areas that shall never go abroad. The only issue with working on MOD systems, if a fire is detected the room fills with CO2 straight away to kill the fire, so you have to run out very quickly :P

Another profession I know something of is type setting. You get a load of text from a publisher, then you format the pages, page number, where the chapter/book names go. Pays very well, but very competitive and difficult to get into.

Although, back on the ICT point, my dad has been working ICT since the 70s and he's one of the top of engineers looking after MOD computers - if you can get a large skills base and know a fair deal about what you're doing, there are certain areas that shall never go abroad. The only issue with working on MOD systems, if a fire is detected the room fills with CO2 straight away to kill the fire, so you have to run out very quickly :P

Lol, Our server rooms at work have Halon gas in to prevent a data loss etc, so we aren't allowed down there unaccompanied. I guess it makes work down there a bit more exciting lol

To be honest I've never really planned out my career to any great lengths, I've sort of fell into what I am doing now, although I enjoy it and get lots of opportunities to travel all over the world I want something a bit more so I am going back to Uni in Sept. I'll probably end up back in the world of electronics but not in Distribution or as a product manager but more in the end product sort of thing.

I guess you are best off finding something that really interests you and then try that

have u considered the forces??

all 3 services are always looking for people with IT skills and u gain more than u would by just doing that job in a civilian job

i'm off to the RAF to be a pilot hopefully and know that there are loads pof careers available

RAF is a sound line, I'm considering getting into it before starting out as a photographer. My girlfriend's parents are both ex-navy and both say a job in the forces is a good move.

I'd suggest not working from home, sounds a nice easy life but much more healthy being with other people for 6-8 hours a day.

Programming is something I've always loved, I only do web based languages but it's so creative, you are always working on something different and it's very enjoyable. There are so many people in need of programmers, every business I've set foot in need databases, applications (tailer made to their business), websites and so on - and people might say it's all going East with cheap labor but truthfully... businesses will pay much more to save time and greater communication having you sit in their office than have some guy in India do it.

I'd suggest not working from home, sounds a nice easy life but much more healthy being with other people for 6-8 hours a day.

Programming is something I've always loved, I only do web based languages but it's so creative, you are always working on something different and it's very enjoyable. There are so many people in need of programmers, every business I've set foot in need databases, applications (tailer made to their business), websites and so on - and people might say it's all going East with cheap labor but truthfully... businesses will pay much more to save time and greater communication having you sit in their office than have some guy in India do it.

That sounds like me, totally. :D

I can see me designing websites, etc, but I have to admit, I love photography, but just don't have the right camera/equipment to get started properly.

That sounds like me, totally. :D

I can see me designing websites, etc, but I have to admit, I love photography, but just don't have the right camera/equipment to get started properly.

It's not about the equipment until you get deeper in, everyone has to start somewhere. At college and uni level, I always had access to entry level dSLRs (I have my own, so I never used their stuff) but most places that teach photography will have a set up for people who dont have the funds for new stuff. Photography opens a lot of doors, from graphic design to director of photography on a TV show like top gear. Get on the right course, and you'll be sure to find work. I'm a first year, and already getting offers sent in for work which pays

Actually, just read your post again, and realised you said you enjoy it :blush:

Ahaha, erm, what courses would I be looking to take then? Do all Uni's do different courses?

I'm only in Year 10 currently, so a while to go until Uni, but better start thinking now :)

Actually, just read your post again, and realised you said you enjoy it :blush:

Ahaha, erm, what courses would I be looking to take then? Do all Uni's do different courses?

I'm only in Year 10 currently, so a while to go until Uni, but better start thinking now :)

A load of unis do it, London South Bank runs by far the best course in the country - it runs a course called Digital Photography (the only one in the country!) and is 50% practical, and 50% theory covering all sorts from how TV programs are structured to philosophy and that provides an awesome background to your work. The lecturers are all a bit.. odd, to be fair, but they know their stuff and will get you into a good place. I can tell you places to AVOID - Bristol UWE and Bridgend (who run Cardiff uni's photography course). Glamorgan uni runs a decent course, but the location isn't the best.

If you want to consider any arty course like photography, web design etc etc, you need to build a portfolio and get pictures online. Getting public exposure and hints and tips is very important in getting better and having a good portfolio helps lots in the future.

Edited by halcalanky

businesses will pay much more to save time and greater communication having you sit in their office than have some guy in India do it.

We probably have experience of quite different industries and organisations, but this is not what I am seeing - I don't think the people who make the decisions care where the work is done. By far their no.1 concern appears to be cost.

I think you are right in that face to face communication is very important. High level requirements gathering skills and interpretation are key, but even these roles are now being supplied by the offshore solutions vendors - they fly people in for a couple of months consultancy and then fly them home when the development specs are done.

A load of unis do it, London South Bank runs by far the best course in the country - it runs a course called Digital Photography (the only one in the country!) and is 50% practical, and 50% theory covering all sorts from how TV programs are structured to philosophy and that provides an awesome background to your work. The lecturers are all a bit.. odd, to be fair, but they know their stuff and will get you into a good place. I can tell you places to AVOID - Bristol UWE and Bridgend (who run Cardiff uni's photography course). Glamorgan uni runs a decent course, but the location isn't the best.

If you want to consider any arty course like photography, web design etc etc, you need to build a portfolio and get pictures online. Getting public exposure and hints and tips is very important in getting better and having a good portfolio helps lots in the future.

You say portfolio, do you mean like a blog with all my snaps and pictures on? Like Flickr?

London, would love to go their, but its extra cost, to rent (doubt I'll afford buying) a house down there, but if needs must.

See the thing is, I'm crap at "Art". You know, the typical High School stuff, drawing still life etc, is there any part of this in a photography course? Or is it actually all photography?

I wouldn't rule out the IT route just yet...

I taught my firend the basics of programming when we were about 12 - I have long since lost interest in computers and went into manufacturing engineering. My friend is 29 years old and just got a job earning

You say portfolio, do you mean like a blog with all my snaps and pictures on? Like Flickr?

London, would love to go their, but its extra cost, to rent (doubt I'll afford buying) a house down there, but if needs must.

See the thing is, I'm crap at "Art". You know, the typical High School stuff, drawing still life etc, is there any part of this in a photography course? Or is it actually all photography?

You get a bigger loan in london, and halls are relatively cheap for the first year (between 80 and 101 depending on if you want ensuite) - then most choose to rent for their second and third years, my friends pay

Edited by halcalanky