• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

motorbike laws

Rc_mad

You will need to do your test to be able to ride a 33bhp bike, the exc 125 is around the 30bhp mark standard so you would need to get it restricted to around 15bhp to legally ride it on a cbt . Maybe try putting it on a dyno with the powervalve disconnected? but that would be so boring to ride.

I had a rs125 at 17 which was fully derestricted with L plates but i wouldnt recommend doing it because basically you are not insured and have no license for this so god help you if you crash into anyone!

iv dun my cbt for a 50cc moped, would i be able to get one..? or not..? cheers

Also i'll add, if the bike was built before 1980 or something like that, it doesnt need to be restricted to 33mph, mine isnt.

I think you mean the law that says a moped is a bike that is 50cc & restricted to 30mph (50kph now the EU have stomped in) & if registed before 1977, it must be fitted with pedals,

this is the blurb..

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)

CBT is a course which all learner motorcycle and moped riders must complete before riding on the road. CBT can only be given by Approved Training Bodies who have:Instructors that have been assessed by the DSA and sites approved by DSA for off-road training. CBT allows you to safely learn motorcycle theory, skills which make you safe on the roads and the correct attitude towards motorcycling.

You don't have to take CBT if you:

Passed a full moped test after December 1990. Live and ride on specified offshore Islands. Already hold a valid certificate of completion (DL196) obtained during a previous motorcycle entitlement or when riding a moped. Already hold a full licence for another Category A.

On completion of CBT you will be given a DL196 keep this safe. You must have this before taking a practical motorcycle test. CBT may be take on a Direct Access Motorcycle although some initial parts may be covered on a standard machine.

Moped Riders

To ride a moped on the rode you must be at least 16 years old and have a driving licence that entitles you to ride mopeds (Category P). At 16 but under 17 this can be a full moped licence or a provisional moped licence.

At 17 and over this can also be a full car licence, full motorcycle licence or a provisional driving licence. This provides provisional moped entitlement.

Provisional Moped Entitlement

After completing CBT this allows you to ride a moped. You must not carry a pillion passenger, ride without L-plates fitted to both the front and the rear of the moped or ride on motorways.

Full Moped Licence

Full Moped entitlement allows you to ride Mopeds without L-plates and carry a pillion passenger. Ths does not allow the use of Mopeds on a motorway even with a full licence. See below for definition of a moped.

Mopeds

Have an engine under 50cc Have a maximum design speed of 50kph (31 mph) Don't weigh more than 250kg Can be moved by pedals if the moped was registered before 1 August 1977

Provisional Motorcycle Entitlement

After completing Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) learners may also ride a solo motorcycle up to 125cc or with a power output of no more than 11kW.

Learners who wish to ride a sidecar outfit can do so as long as it has a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg.

With a provisional motorcycle entitlement you must not ride on motorways, carry a pillion passenger or ride without L-plates fitted to both the front and rear of the motorcycle. In Wales you may display D-plates (dysgwr - Welsh for learner). If you cross from Wales into another part of th U.K. you must display L-plates.

Full Motorcyle Licence

There are two types of full motorcycle licence.

Sub category A1-light motorcycle licence.

Category A-standard motorcycle licence.

Sub-Category A1

A full A1 licence allows you to ride machines up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW (14.6 bhp). You can obtain a full sub-category A1 licence by passing the practical test on a bike of between 75cc and 125cc.

Category A

A full category A licence gives you full entitlement to all machines. You can obtain a full category A licence with a two year qualifying period or without a two year qualifying period via Direct Access.

Category A with 2 year qualifying period.

This will be obtained by passing the motorcycle test on a motorcycle of between 121cc and 125cc and capable of at least 100kph (62.5 mph). Riders who are subject to the two year qualifying period will be restricted to machines of 25kw (33 bhp) maximum or power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg for two years from the date of passing their test. At the end of this time any size of motorcycle may be ridden without taking another test.

Category A via Direct Access

Direct Access is for riders of 21 years and over. Passing the motorcycle test on a machine of at least 35kW(46.6 bhp) gives immediate access to all sizes of motorcycle. You can practice on any size of motorcycle which exceeds the UK learner specification provided that you are accompanied at all times by a qualified approved instructor, on another motorcycle and in radio contact. Flourescent or reflective safety clothing is worn during supervision and L-plates are fitted and provisional licence restrictions are followed.

Accelerated Access

This is for riders over 21 or who reach the age of 21 before their two year qualifying period is complete, You can take a further test to give you immediate acces to all motorcycles. The test specification as above. You can practice for this test on motorcycles above 25kW (33 bhp) provided you follow the above specifications.

what!!!???

did i put 400hp+???

fool me....

i mean 400cc+

how long do i wait???

If you pass your test at 17 then you will be allowed to ride a restricted 33bhp 400cc and after 2 years you will be able to derestrict it and have about 55bhp, if its a 400cc sports bike like ninja/cbr etc, something like a drz400 wont need restricting as its around 33bhp as standard.

You will only be able to ride a bike with less than 15bhp at 17 on a cbt. I sudgest you do your test!

If you pass your test at 17 then you will be allowed to ride a restricted 33bhp 400cc and after 2 years you will be able to derestrict it and have about 55bhp, if its a 400cc sports bike like ninja/cbr etc, something like a drz400 wont need restricting as its around 33bhp as standard.

You will only be able to ride a bike with less than 15bhp at 17 on a cbt. I sudgest you do your test!

if you can get a test booked that is!

i dont know of many 400cc bikes that have 33bhp as standard, i know the ex250 kwak is built with 33bhp as standard.

ive brought a 600cc and had it restricted to 33bhp with a throttle stop. would rather not have all the carbs re jetted :lol:

if you can get a test booked that is!

i dont know of many 400cc bikes that have 33bhp as standard, i know the ex250 kwak is built with 33bhp as standard.

ive brought a 600cc and had it restricted to 33bhp with a throttle stop. would rather not have all the carbs re jetted :lol:

Throttle stop? when i had my bikes restricted there was only one method and that was buying specific washers to go just after the carbs to limit its intake, to my knowledge this is the only legal way of restricting a bikes output in the uk as you need to have a valid restriction certificate registered to that bike. The bike didnt need rejetting just ran like poo after 5000rpm, i think i went 2 days with the restriction in before i ripped it out :D

Edited by The Masochist

Throttle stop? when i had my bikes restricted there was only one method and that was buying specific washers to go just after the carbs to limit its intake, to my knowledge this is the only legal way of restricting a bikes output in the uk as you need to have a valid restriction certificate registered to that bike. The bike didnt need rejetting just ran like poo after 5000rpm, i think i went 2 days with the restriction in before i ripped it out :D

it has a valid restriction certificate ;)

That rumour has been going about for ages, people were saying it when I was 17 and I am 23 now so I can't see it happening to be honest mate. Scooters are great fun. I had a Piaggio in Tenereife at our apartment for a while, it was the easiest way of getting around the island without a driving licence.

Offtopic...

Tenerife is the NUTS !

Where abouts was your apartment..

Mines around the outskirts of Los Christianos!!!

Best place in the world..