• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lightning 2 sport with 4.6HO engine

Hi i fitted my hpi 4.6HO to my lightning 2 sport yesterday.It has standard gearing at the moment but was wandering if changeing the gearing would be worth it.I dont want to loose to much acceleration but would like some gearing to get some good top speed and get the most out of the engine and jp3 pipe.I dont know what size the spur is but the clutch belll is a 13 tooth.Would going up to a 14 tooth make a difference?Thanks.

With the poke you will get from that motor, you should use at least a 15 bell. I used a 19 bell and a Picco .28 in a L2 and pick up and acceleration was no problem. (tight fit though, 18 was better)

I fitted the 18 but the mesh was prity tight and i dont realy want to mod the chassi so i have fitted a 15 i already have.I am off out later to try it and if it goes well i might go for either a 16 or 17.Probably a 17 as that should mesh up ok :good: .

Let me no how u get on co I've got a Lightning 2 buggy [4 bashing].

You wouldn't be called Dom would you? I know it's a bit of a random question, but my step bro used to know someone called Dom who had a Lightning (Plus your from Manchester so I thought i'd ask lol)

I ran it with the savage 15 tooth clutch bell and it was going great.About the same top speed as my mates Hyper 8.Temps were only just about hitting 200f so i could of leaned it out more and got more out of it but it was running fine so left it as it was.Now i am ot sure weather to leave it at 15 tooth or go for a 16 or 17? :)

yeah 16 or 17 will be fine. They are the pro diffs which are pretty good and there is a Torsen diff in the centre. The acceleration is still mental though but that is only because im running a Falcon .28 Port and Polished by Cabbie lol, i switched to the 22t bell to help stop it tearing up the tyres lol

Well I know Cheshire Models is closing, but I didn't know Chapel is too? Hmmm... It doesn't say anything about it on their website.

I no, its wierd.

I found out cos me & a m8 r gud customers. He was supposed 2 b closin bout xmas [2007].

Hope he hasn't closed cos my mum's goin 4 me b4 work 2moro :D

All gud/regular customers of Chapel Models: if ur a gud customer & need sum parts then get 2 Chapel Models cos he's sellin evrythin off, and he's givin regular customers money off. :)

I got a set of £40 Lightning hubs for £30.