• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

losi mini monster baja

martin34

Hi i just got in from work and ordered myself a nice green mini monter baja :D .Electric isnt real my thing but thislittle thing looks fun.Has anyone got any useful advice and tips?Also any links to good micro sites?thanks.

Nice one mate,im a nitro man but have been tempted to buy one of them FTX Fury's with the brushless motor.The little Losi LST2 and Baja look great,just think how mad they'd be with brushless motors in em,I like the Raminator aswell but must resist I keep spending too much.... :good: Let us know how it is when you get it mate,i'd be interested to know... :)

Edited by Mr Terminator

Thanks i will do MR T.I am nitro and petrol(Baja)but i am going to give these little electrics another go.I got mine for£119 from a shop in Watford that starts with a D and a M and a S at the end :whistling: .They do the Fury for £144.The Baja comes with Lipo and a charger so brushless is tempting.Maybe i can jump my whole front room :P .If it goes threw the front room window tho i will get shot! rofl

Well i got it today and its the best looking 1/18th i have seen :good: .The only trouble is that the lipo charger come with one of those 2 plug continental things :helpsmilie: .I dont have one of them so had to put a normal mlst batterie in it.I am still impressed tho and who said mamba and carbon? :P .

Well i got it today and its the best looking 1/18th i have seen :good: .The only trouble is that the lipo charger come with one of those 2 plug continental things :helpsmilie: .I dont have one of them so had to put a normal mlst batterie in it.I am still impressed tho and who said mamba and carbon? :P .

Piccies would be nice. They do look quite cool.

The Raminator looks good but it doesnt come with the upgraded diffs,ali shocks or the electrics that the mini lst2 or the monster baja come with as standard.The diffs on the original mini lst were ment to be a problem and they are what the Raminator comes with and it isnt that much cheaper.

Hi, I'm pretty new here but thought I would jump into this post as I also bought a Mini Monster Baja (although I got mine just before Christmas)...

2001406962271081173_rs.jpg

Pretty much the same spec as the normal MLST-2 but it comes with larger wheels and tyres to give it a real 'Monster truck' look. However the thing that really sets this truck apart from the normal MLST/2 is the 7.4v 1000maH LiPo battery as standard.

It flies!!!! (Way too fast for indoor use, unless you have a huge hall to play with)

One of the latest R/C magazines (In the shops right now, but forget which mag) tested one against the clock and timed 2.3sec for the standing 20m (thats a terminal velocity of about 19mph if my maths are right?). Not bad for a brushed RTR 1/18th scale truck only 10inches in length.

It's adjusted to keep the front wheels on the ground at the moment but with a small firming of the rear shocks and a quick tighten of the slipper it will easily pull wheelies (at the moment on perfectly dry tarmac it will happily pop the fronts in the air for a second on a standing start).

The only (small) problem is the tyres produce so much grip that on bone dry tarmac it is extremely easy to flip it if you try and turn under full power, hence the scratches all over the body below... oops!!

However on a slightly slick surface it handles like a dream with powered drifts easy to control whilst it gently lifts the inside front wheel into the air in gentle mock protest . There is any area not far from me that in the summer is a bit of a dust bowl, I cant wait to get this thing up there.

Anyway, some more pictures. I've not used the Baja body at all and decided to buy the 'Raminator' shell (about £11 full painted) from new as I my eyes it looked somewhat better...

2001442876087395855_rs.jpg

2001486852213661273_rs.jpg

2001452396570253266_rs.jpg

Here it is with my 1/10th Yokomo AE86 drifter for a size comparrison..

2001489079683216287_rs.jpg

2001451488078430836_rs.jpg

Plans for hop ups so far include:-

Carbon fibre chassis plates (Already arrived from the USA but waiting on the...)

CNC Alloy side rails (On the way now but delayed thanks to Parcelfarce!!)

CNC Alloy suspension arms (To improve looks and hopefully lower the C.O.G.)

Alloy body posts (already broken all 4 plastic ones DOH!! )

Brushless motor and ESC (Probably go for the dedicated Losi setup when they finally arrive in the UK)

I know the Alloy suspension will add a little bit of weight to the thing, but once I dump both heavy(ish) 370 motors and go brushless I think the issue will even itself out a bit, however the C.O.G. will be alot lower helping to keep things on the ground (hopefully). To be honest even if the alloy suspension add's loads of wieght this will only help the truck stay planted, as I've already said, it is pretty easy to flip it.

Highly recommend one of these trucks, As Martin says it's really not worth buying the Raminator over the Mini Baja. The Raminator body and wheels can be bought seperately far cheaper than the Mini Baja's DSM radio gear and LiPo battery (the LiPo battery alone is £36). Not to mention having to upgrade the diffs etc if you want to go brushless.

I just don't see me running the Drifter again any time soon....

Ps. The Mini Monster wheels & tyres are not really that much smaller than the Raminator ones, but the Raminator wheels are available from Losi in Chrome (instead of the horrid red/yellow combo) if you really want those tyres.

Edited by Civpilot

Hi mate your truck is looking good :good: .Got to agree that the Raminator body does look good with the chrome wheels.I havent ran mine yet with the lipo and have used the normal 1100 ni-mh pack.I have just been to Homebase and bought a plug adapter for the lipo charger and i have it on charge now.I am looking forward to seeing the difference between the lipo and Ni-mh pack.It's been on charge for nearly an hour but not sure how long it will take to charge.I am going to go for the carbon chassi aswell and i was originaly going to go brushless but think i am going to stay brushed now.Just waiting to see how Rustybasher gets on with the motors he is going to fit :) .