• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

hyper .21 8 port running temps

martinsmith1979

hello all

just got my self a hyper 21 8 port after i fryed my old one. done the break in (heat cylced it with 4 tanks and half throt for 4 tanks, then tuned)

i have got it tuned up to the piont of no improvment in speed, done the low end, and alligned the mid needle hole up with the HSN nedle hole. but the temps are bothering me abit! :confused:

the guide with the engine say no more than 220F, some forums say up to 300F.!!!???

if i get it to run at 220, its crap, i lean it out to increase power until no improvement and then richen it up by 1/8 turn, but the temps get to 280-290, i think it even got to just over 300F on one occasion. so to be honest, im sh!ting my self i bit. no glow plugs have gone pop, no flame outs, it just runs like a screamer at 290-300! but is this safe, it just seems so flat at 220. :confused:

any ideas, what does eveyone else run theirs at?

or sud i throw the venom temp guage in the bin and stop worrying!

or shal i order a new P&L now as i probably of knackered the engine in a matter of 6 tanks messing about with the tuning.!!!!

My Hyper 21 8-port runs "well" at about 220-250f. I have had it leaner and faster....but for what I do (bashing) I am quite happy with its performance at these temps. Your right though....it does SCREAM at around 290f. I suppose it is a balance between how fast you want to go and how long you want it to last.

Euan

I think this is where a 4 port lack the extra RPM that a 8port gets

But most people use about 220 - 230 :) whcih i also use :)

But anything i've heard upto 270 is okay :)

All in F :)

Ziggy

I think this is where a 4 port lack the extra RPM that a 8port gets

But most people use about 220 - 230 :) whcih i also use :)

But anything i've heard upto 270 is okay :)

All in F :)

Ziggy

dont be afraid to run it at around 285 i did with mine and it only overheated once after 4 hours of straight running with no rests

if i go any higher cew - i loose any smoke - and it wobbles as its ran short of fuel

It screams - a 4port can get fuel in fast enough to go anyhigher - this is why the 8ports better :)

Ziggy

You should be fine.....you might find that the temps will level out.

I wouldn't bother with a new P+L until you need one....might be for ages!

Euan

if its running fine at 285 with lots of smoke and performance thats fine

i tend not to tune by temperature anymore as its so misleading

aslong as all of the signs are ok(lots of smoke, not buring out glowplug, good performace.....) then its fine

my old traxxas 2.5r used to run around 300 and it lasted ages