• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HBX 16889a Pro pinion gear noise

Jim_D

Evening all...

Next issue I have with our new toy then!

I bought my daughter the above car. It makes a very obvious clicking noise when moving which seems to be the metal pinion and spur gear teeth 'clapping' together when they turn. It would seem they are meshing together a bit too loosely.

A Google search reveals others with a similar problem, and one solution was to flip over the motor mounting plate (not sure what it's called) with no explanation how this helps, but it does. It seems to me it's just a difference in the machining of the plastic plate, so when flipped over it nestles into its groove a little better and tightens the gap between pinion and spur. However, I now think it might be too tight, but I'm not sure as I have zero experience.

Very scientifically... If I push the car along the floor I can only propel in a couple of feet before it stops. It's less than half the distance I can push our brushed/plastic pinion Tracer. It seems to drive OK when I tested it round the driveway. 

Am I better off flipping the mount back and having the clicking, or will it be OK being a little tighter? Will the metal gears wear themselves in? Shoild I file down the pinion? Am i going to wear out the motor trying to push the tighter gears round?!

Is there another solution?! Do I just have to put up with this quirk of a non-adjustable motor mount?

Fyi, I have also packed grease into the pinion/spur housing for the most lube I can get.

Any help greatly appreciated!

The pinion against spur being too tight is a lot worse than having a bit of play.

Depends how much play you have, any chance of a video showing it?

Hold the motor pinion completely still and show how much the spur moves back and forth.

Most people set the gap using thin card/couple of thicknesses of paper.  After a while you learn to set the clearance by eye. 

I have had a couple of RCs in the past which had not adjustable motor mounts.  Mesh can be altered by slightly filing one screw hole until a little bit elongated. 

If they are tapered head screws, still elongate the hole but then fit a 'normal' head screw. 

Edited by JonnyUK

OK. I'll swap it back again before I use it.

I guess I could also file a tiny bit off the plastic motor mount to allow it to move away from the spur a little. The pinion will presumably push itself off the spur as far as it can go and create the gap.

I've just realised its a brushless motor isn't it?

Brushless is always more noisy than a brushed motor, could just be that maybe.

It is brushless. I am sure the original clicking is the pinion and spur, though. When turned slowly the motor/pinion skips forward as it goes from magnet to magnet inside the motor and the pinion teeth slap the spur teeth as it skips forward. Don't know how else to describe it! Now they are tighter together they can never slap as they are so tightly meshed. I will try and get a video later when I take it apart again.

I'm pretty sure that the way you describe the original noise is normal for brushless RCs.

Noisy when pushed but a lot quieter when driven normally.

Small video attached, if it of any use to see what I'm talking about. I doubt the clicking will cause a problem, now I know its not causing undue wear. Maybe a bit annoying! Video starts with the 'tighter' set up, then I flipped the mount and the latter half shows the more obvious clicking.

Edited by Jim_D
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

that sounds normal to me in 2nd 1/2 vid

Brushless is never the quietest when turning slowly or by hand is it. 👍

• Like 1

Thanks for your input folks.

Now it's back together and greased again I think it's slightly better than it was to start with. Happy to leave as-is now I know it's basically normal!

Thanks again.

• Like 1