• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Packing the diffs

iGP

Good morning, hope your all doing well today?

Need help and advice on a TT02R kit that I'm currently looking to build soon to which I have several hop-ups ready and waiting for racing. Both diffs are plastic-on-plastic gearing, the manual is recommending the use of AW grease. I've been following the advise that you want your front differential to be stiffer than the rear diff to ensure that the chassis handles well around corners.

Can anyone advise on how-to pack these diffs accordingly to get the performance desired and is AW the right grease method to use for this.

I'm not sure which diffs the R uses but if they are oil filled diffs then you can buy different oil in a variety of thicknesses that allows you to tune the diff as you want. You don't need much AW grease as it's very sticky. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alex97 said:

I'm not sure which diffs the R uses but if they are oil filled diffs then you can buy different oil in a variety of thicknesses that allows you to tune the diff as you want. You don't need much AW grease as it's very sticky. 

It's plastic-on-plastic. It was suggested to me to use CORE RC High Performance Lithium Grease. Pack the front fully and lightly coat the rear diff?

48 minutes ago, iGP said:

It's plastic-on-plastic. It was suggested to me to use CORE RC High Performance Lithium Grease. Pack the front fully and lightly coat the rear diff?

Lithium grease is very very light, Tamiya AW is good stuff. Also look at Lucas red and tacky as that's quite thick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex97 said:

Lithium grease is very very light, Tamiya AW is good stuff. Also look at Lucas red and tacky as that's quite thick. 

How about this? The AW grease that comes with the kit is tiny! 😠

Edited by iGP
Found this!

15 hours ago, Alex97 said:

You don't need much, it's not ment to be packed. What's in the kit is enough.

I've decided to go with two of the Tamiya 54875 TT-02 Oil Gear Differential Units. The club track is based outdoors and it's based on a clean car park surface, so I guess the final question is what oil for the front and rear?

The usual response is see what others are running at your club.   The general advice I’ve seen is to get the front diff as close to locked as possible without actually locking it, since locked diffs are prohibited at my club. 

My son’s car is on the standard unsealed diffs.  I’m planning to put 500,000cst in the front as that should stiffen it up without leaking. Rear I’ll leave more or less open but might add some more AW grease.  The thing with most grease options is they just get flung to the outside of the diff casing and stick, so the diff loosens up over time. 

• Like 1

On 03/02/2024 at 09:23, deprivedoflsleep said:

The usual response is see what others are running at your club.   The general advice I’ve seen is to get the front diff as close to locked as possible without actually locking it, since locked diffs are prohibited at my club. 

My son’s car is on the standard unsealed diffs.  I’m planning to put 500,000cst in the front as that should stiffen it up without leaking. Rear I’ll leave more or less open but might add some more AW grease.  The thing with most grease options is they just get flung to the outside of the diff casing and stick, so the diff loosens up over time. 

I recently purchased two Tamiya 54875 TT-02 Oil Gear Differential Units. I went with 100K & 50K cst oil in the front, 3K & 5K cst oil for the rear. The track where I race can feature low grip areas, sometimes dusty and loose... good for keeping you on your toes. Will experiment with weightier oils later however, I got a base idea to work from thanks to this guide and the TA08 Pro manual. 👍

Edited by iGP
Further oils now added.