• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Loosening up suspension

Hi, 

I recently got into the hobby with a Gmade Buffalo kit, and I’d like some advice on how to improve the articulation. 
Softer springs have helped, but it still lifts a wheel long before the suspension travel is used up. 
So what do you do to change that? Loosen the suspension ball joints somehow? Cut the springs? Or live with it as a scaler trait?
All ideas gratefully received, thanks in advance,

Nick

It might be a light RC so adding some weight to the chassis would help. Not ideal though. 

Thinner fluid in the shocks would allow the shocks to compress a bit quicker, I don't think that's the issue though.

Do the axles move up easily when the shocks are removed? Incase you have binding issues somewhere on the linkages etc.

Also, cutting springs actually makes them stiffer. 

Edited by JonnyUK

Thanks @JonnyUK, I had an early finish today so have been tinkering. 
It is supposedly quite lightweight, and I’ve only got ex-heli batteries so I am thinking of doubling up to add some mass. I reckon I can fit them pannier style to lower the CoG at the expense of some front end weight bias. 
The main thing I’ve noticed today is the ball joints on the shocks are distorted, which limits the movement available so I’ll get some alloy ones to cure that. 
Bike suspension grease has helped free the shocks up, as has completely filling the shocks when assembling them, they suck down slightly now so they sit further into the travel and that’s helped. 
Thanks again for the reply, and my springs shall stay as they are!  🙂

• Like 2