• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dispelling the myths surrounding 7075 aluminum from certain you tubers

Captain bart

As an aircraft engineer with over 40 years experience working with 7075 aluminum i can say that trying to straighten a bent chassis plate is the totally wrong thing to do and here is why 7075 alluminium is only malleable after it has been heated up to a certain temp in an oven for a set amount of time after it has cooled down you have 30 minutes to work with it after 30 minutes it will start to harden again reaching full hardness in around 3 weeks you can artificially age hard by heating to 120degrees C for 72 hours for peak tensile strength  its called age hardening . I can tell you if it is bent slightly leave it as it is . When it bends it breaks the metal grain structure apart if you try to straighten it it pulls the grain structure even further apart weakening it even more and can cause micro cracking which will become worse and grow due to vibration and flexing. If it is a bend from landing on a metal railing trying to straighten it could cause it to break off at the bend line to straighten any 7075 chassis you must re heat treat it to reform the grain structure and straighten it within 30 minutes of reaching room temperature you can prolong this time by placing the part in a deep freeze at -18degrees C while frozen it stays malleable but at room temp starts to harden again . So if you slightly bend a chassis made of 7075 aluminum live with it or buy a new chassis .in aircraft it is used for structural parts that need to be very strong and not flex or bend very much . And no your kitchen oven will not get shot enough you Ned around 450 degrees C for 4 hours you ca leave it at 120 degrees for 3 days to harden it after working it , hoe this is clear for you guys ask questions if you have any i will answer as best i can . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quick question to @Captain bart is all 7075 grade aluminium still equal? I’m not suggesting the Chinese have form for suggesting grades of metal are equal to say Swedish metal or similar, when clearly they are not, or have things moved on from when I was involved in engineering?

NO NOT ALL 7075 IS THE SAME THERE IS A BI G DIFERENCE BETWEEN THEN FROM THE TOLERANCES ON THE ALLOYING METALS DIFERENCES OF +/- O.1% MAKE A BIG DIFERENCE TO DURABILITY STRENGTH .BUT MAINLY FROM THE TYPE OF HEAT TREATMENT APPLIED NOT ALL 7075 IS TREATED TO T6 MOST CHEAP CHASSIS ARE NOT PRECIPITATION HEAT TREATED (HARDENED) THEY ARE NATURALLY AGE HARDENED WHICH DOES NOT ATTAIN THE SAME STRENGTH BUT IS A LOT CHEAPER. M2C CHASSIS ARE THE BEST THEY ARE T6 7075 AND EXPENSIVE ARRMA IS 7075 BUT NOT T6  HOPE THAT ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION  

• Thanks 2