• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Smoking ESC?!😮

SXFoxstar

So here are some pictures. I swapped the channels as suggested and yes the throttle then made the servo activate. So frustrated as when I had the wheels off and it connected but not installed the axels turned.  Pictures attached

IMG_1337.jpeg

IMG_1338.jpeg

IMG_1339.jpeg

Does everything in the transmission turn freely with no binding?  Have you had the motor out at all, could you have meshed the gears too tightly when you put it back in?

It’s possible that the motor may be damaged - a bad motor can sometimes turn with no load on it but as soon as you fit wheels and expect it to go it doesn’t have the torque to work. 

I have just done the test if directly connecting the battery (it’s ok it is brushed) and it is dead. Seems it must have been killed off and I Just got unlucky that it ran first thing. I’ve located a shop with a new motor so will pick that up. Please do let me know if you can see anything wrong with my wiring though so I don’t destroy another motor 😢

Does everything in the transmission turn freely with no binding?  Have you had the motor out at all, could you have meshed the gears too tightly when you put it back in?

It’s possible that the motor may be damaged - a bad motor can sometimes turn with no load on it but as soon as you fit wheels and expect it to go it doesn’t have the torque to work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SXFoxstar said:

I have just done the test if directly connecting the battery (it’s ok it is brushed) and it is dead. Seems it must have been killed off and I Just got unlucky that it ran first thing. I’ve located a shop with a new motor so will pick that up. Please do let me know if you can see anything wrong with my wiring though so I don’t destroy another motor 😢

Wiring and jumpers all look good, I’d just tidy it up a bit more myself, but it’s all correct

• Thanks 1

You say it worked ok before you fitted the wheels, are they too tight, a mate of mine always overtightened his wheels which made the hub bearings bind up, it cost him a new motor, but taught him a lesson 😅, just a thought 🤔

Edited by wombat
Text missing

2 minutes ago, wombat said:

You say it worked ok before you fitted the wheels, are they too tight, a mate of mine always overtightened his wheels which made the hub bearings bind up, it cost him a new motor, but taught him a lesson 😅, just a thought 🤔

I would have agreed this was the issue but have since had the motor out and it is dead. Whether I had tightened them too much and that did the damage I will never know 😭

Ok I am seriously on the verge of giving up 😭picked up the new motor today 1hr round trip. Installed it as shown.  As soon as battery connected the wheel started spinning! I quickly moved the switch to alternate position assuming some kind of mis wiring but pretty sure it isn’t. It slowed then died with the ESC smoking again. I’m a grown man and I feel like crying right now. I can’t keep putting money into this and just don’t know what is happening now!

I’ve tested the motor and it is still operational. But I darent touch the ESC until I have more idea wtf is wrong with the car 😭

Edited by SXFoxstar

Check connectors in receiver are with red in middle and black on outside pin, I think the pic shows this. Test the motor out of the car, so that there is no resistance but dont give it full throttle. Check the voltage of your battery pack. A new esc will need to be calibrated  to your tx? Recalibrate the esc. Does the esc beep once for nimh? 

6 minutes ago, locky said:

Check connectors in receiver are with red in middle and black on outside pin, I think the pic shows this. Test the motor out of the car, so that there is no resistance but dont give it full throttle. Check the voltage of your battery pack. A new esc will need to be calibrated  to your tx? Recalibrate the esc. Does the esc beep once for nimh? 

So the motor works with just the battery still I think that is saved.  Receiver wired as you say.  My battery is NIMH (tester with the stick 1800mah 7.2v and the ESC was configured as second pic. I’m at a loss as to what is wrong.

What do you mean by re calibrate?  THe only instructions I can see in ESC guide is for setting throttle range, but the thing started when it was switched off!

IMG_1344.jpeg

IMG_1345.jpeg

Edited by SXFoxstar

So I did as you suggested.  Took the motor out of the car, connected the battery via the esc and this time it didn't do anything until I turned it on, but again smoke, motor started, stopped then went full throttle without any action on my part and then a lot of smoke 😞

Shop has said they can take a look for me but won't be in for another week so if anyone has any suggestions it'd be much appreciated.

So after further testing I can see that the receiver does stay off with the esc switch in the off position and comes on when I switch it on.  However the motor still continues to run regardless of the switch position, any ideas what that indicates?

Edited by SXFoxstar

Original motor and esc. motor stopped and esc smoked.

Original motor and new 1060 esc, motor would not go.

New motor and 1060 esc, motor goes immediately esc switched on and esc smokes.

If the above summarises, then probably the original motor damaged the new 1060 esc.

Escs have a current limit, perhaps the old motor caused a high current which has damaged components on the new 1060 esc.

Edited by locky
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, locky said:

Original motor and esc. motor stopped and esc smoked.

Original motor and new 1060 esc, motor would not go.

New motor and 1060 esc, motor goes immediately esc switched on and esc smokes.

If the above summarises, then probably the original motor damaged the new 1060 esc.

Escs have a current limit, perhaps the old motor caused a high current which has damaged components on the new 1060 esc.

Would that still happen that it runs even with the ESC switch off?

I did try that and the servo worked and when switched off it was dead (correctly). It’s just when the motor is connected it runs without any reason regardless of switch on/off or transmitter on or off