• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Soldering Iron Recommendations

bigbadbond

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap soldering iron that won't break after one use. I've wasted so much time looking at soldering irons on Amazon and they all seem like cheap junk. I only want to use it to solder deans plugs on a couple pf ESC's.  Something sub £30 would be good. 

Thanks all

Check Aliexpress for "Soldering Station 937d", it's either a Weller or Hakko clone (can't remember). 

Using mine for 6 years now, still happy with it. Though, if you're exclusively soldering deans plugs, any basic iron from a decent manufacturer would do. Personally i'd consider something around 50W. 

Purely based on reviews, this one appears to not be the worst, if you don't want to wait.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldering-Adjustable-200-450°C-Desoldering-Stripper/dp/B07Q4T12PH?crid=360M43BO7UAPX&keywords=B07Q4T12PH&qid=1656959379&sprefix=b07q4t12ph%2B%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-1&linkCode=ll1&tag=diy56-21&linkId=d57fa2f04efceabf76fb09ba44164439&language=en_GB&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&th=1

The problem here's the budget - for that kind of money you kinda have to look at china/aliexpress, or live with cheap junk. Which, i want to add, still does the trick especially if you're only soldering deans. No reason to spend £100+ on a entry level station from a renown manufacturer if you only go through a meter of solder per year, if that makes sense. For a year or two i got away with a butane powered pocket iron. 

Almost as, if not more important is the actual solder you use - don't cheap out on that. Eutectic (63/37) rosin core solder, not lead free. Using this one since recently, soldered my new QS8 connectors with it:

https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/accessories/tbs-multicore-6337-rosin-core-solder-wire-real-100g-05mm - so far, happy.

Eutectic means it's either liquid, or solid. 60/40 solder goes through a "goop" stage, slowly solidifying - not the case with 63/37 solder. 

• Like 1