• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

23cc cy engine won't start, Help....

Kingfi5her

So I was given a Carson, 23cc gas blaster for free and it wasn't running, so I have stripped the car, clean gasket replaced if needed, spark plug cleaned, coil, Flywheel, petrol, and it still won't start,

I did get it to tick over for a couple of seconds before I did all this but now it won't start,

Also I reset the carb settings to H, 1.5turns L, 1 1/4...

Any help would be amazing, beenntrying to get it to run for 2 weeks now.

is the carb allowing fuel though buddy is the plug getting wet? should start over on those carb settings etc can also check the plugs good if you hold it near a metal part and pull the cord should arch a spark between to know the plugs not fouled also check over the fuel lines if gummy replace etc 👍there pretty robust the 2 strokers 

Yes fuel getting in, just redone all the carb gaskets again today and double checked the pulse port was clear,  yes lots of spark from the plug and checked all lines and seems to be clear plug gets wet but not overly wet,

It feels like there is something happening as you can sort of feel the pullstart have more compression the first 2 times pulling as if its going to start but theres no pop, and

Tried the good old Easy start and still nothing. I've lost 1st in sweat from pulling it so much...

• Like 1

Back to first principles..... motor needs 3 things to run. Fuel, spark and compression.

1) Fuel. You know you got fuel going in....but.... Check what carb you have. There are decent carbs ( Walbro) and some really quite nasty clone carbs that used to get shipped on some of the clone motors. They also had different baseline settings..not the usual ones you will find quoted everywhere. That would give you all sorts of issues. Also check the choke....and your starting procedure. Prime until the bulb is full and fuel is moving, choke on....pull a few times until it coughs...then choke off, and pull. Should fire right up.

2) Spark. It's possible you have a bad plug. Worth getting a replacement from a REPUTABLE supplier, as there are many cheap and rubbish copies on E-Bay. A bad plug may spark nicely when you test it out of the cylinder, but break down under load. Also check the plug lead is in good order, and the coil gap should be about hte thickness of a piece of thin card ( It was one good use of those taxi phone number cards I used to get through the letterbox before Uber was a thing)

3) Compression. Trickier to measure....but if you take the plug out and put through thumb over the motor, you should feel a decent amount of compression pushing your thumb off the plughole when you pull the pullstarter. If you don't you could have a blown base gasket, worn ring or worn out barrel. These are plated with no proper liner, so when the plating wears, you lose tolerance very rapidly and the compression goes. If you see any scoring or marking in the plating, this is not a good sign. The base gasket between the crankcases is also very thin around hte transfer ports. This can blow out, tear or otherwise fail...meaing your compression drops and your motor sucks fresh air in rather than fuel mix.

These are fairly basic 2 stroke motors, but they can be fussy. Once you get to the bottom of hte issue, though, it should start easily every time. You just have to keep going until you find out what's wrong!

• Thanks 1

On 14/02/2023 at 17:15, Nitroholic said:

Back to first principles..... motor needs 3 things to run. Fuel, spark and compression.

1) Fuel. You know you got fuel going in....but.... Check what carb you have. There are decent carbs ( Walbro) and some really quite nasty clone carbs that used to get shipped on some of the clone motors. They also had different baseline settings..not the usual ones you will find quoted everywhere. That would give you all sorts of issues. Also check the choke....and your starting procedure. Prime until the bulb is full and fuel is moving, choke on....pull a few times until it coughs...then choke off, and pull. Should fire right up.

2) Spark. It's possible you have a bad plug. Worth getting a replacement from a REPUTABLE supplier, as there are many cheap and rubbish copies on E-Bay. A bad plug may spark nicely when you test it out of the cylinder, but break down under load. Also check the plug lead is in good order, and the coil gap should be about hte thickness of a piece of thin card ( It was one good use of those taxi phone number cards I used to get through the letterbox before Uber was a thing)

3) Compression. Trickier to measure....but if you take the plug out and put through thumb over the motor, you should feel a decent amount of compression pushing your thumb off the plughole when you pull the pullstarter. If you don't you could have a blown base gasket, worn ring or worn out barrel. These are plated with no proper liner, so when the plating wears, you lose tolerance very rapidly and the compression goes. If you see any scoring or marking in the plating, this is not a good sign. The base gasket between the crankcases is also very thin around hte transfer ports. This can blow out, tear or otherwise fail...meaing your compression drops and your motor sucks fresh air in rather than fuel mix.

These are fairly basic 2 stroke motors, but they can be fussy. Once you get to the bottom of hte issue, though, it should start easily every time. You just have to keep going until you find out what's wrong!

I will go through a few more things when I get the time but it's a WT-668 carb and i have read lots of different settings and I used my partners business card to set the gap on the coil. 

I've even tried a few sniffs of easy start and no, sometimes she feels like she's going to cough but don't. Do feel some pressure coming back from the carb at times,

Always give it a few pumps to prime it then couple of pulls and then try without choke but stiff nothing.   I'm 34 been around engine's all my life and can't for the life of me get this one going with going down the route of replacing everything that it could be and then I may aswell get another motor?.

Many thanks for ur info.

Can be frustrating.

I'm 55, been messing with engines since I was 12, and I still find ways to get confused 

Usually, it's down to an assumption I made, or a part I ruled out as being the cause without actually checking. 

If you haven't had the head off, do that next. Get a new base gasket before putting it back though. No silicon or other instant gasket. Will give you a good idea of the engines condition and likely amount of use. 

Is it a 2 bolt or 4 bolt motor? I had a few 2 bolt heads crack. One OBR ported head split clean through from the base to the exhaust bolt holes. Crack ran along a fin base and was very hard to see from outside. Blindingly obvious from inside....

• Like 2

The cy 2 bolt engines are prone to the gasket blowing out. I have had plenty go on mine over the years. Replaced mine with the heavy duty steel reinforced gasket set from DDM. Seem to remember RCMZ sells the 4 bolt set but not seen a 2 bolt set in the UK recently maybe a 4 bolt gasket set would fit?

https://www.ddmracing.com/2-Bolt-Steel-Reinforced-Cylinder-Gasket-848ER-097Z0

• Like 1

So been a busy days stripping everything and checking and double checking, reset all gaps(spark plug / coil) removed carb jets/adjusters etc, all reset.  

So tried different priming steps and no go, so I tried, no choke full throttle and a very small sniff of easy start and it started to sound like it wanted to start but that was it until my 50 plus pulls and she fired up,

I trickled down my leg, I got excited 😆  but she sat running for 15 mins warmed up and ticked over nicely,

Tomorrow I'll try and start her again and see what happens?     

So I still don't know what was stopping it from running BUT it's RUNNING!!

Thank you for all ur advice as it all helped and I've learnt. 

Could just have been old fuel residue clogging up the carb. If fuel was left in, the petrol evaporates leaviong the oil residue from the premix behind.

You maybe got enough fuel through it to wash out whatever was there....and brrrrm!

Now it's running ... it should be easier to keep it running. Especially now it;s had a proper going over!

Hopefully now you can get the payback for your efforts and enjoy some playtime 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

Could just have been old fuel residue clogging up the carb. If fuel was left in, the petrol evaporates leaviong the oil residue from the premix behind.

You maybe got enough fuel through it to wash out whatever was there....and brrrrm!

Now it's running ... it should be easier to keep it running. Especially now it;s had a proper going over!

Hopefully now you can get the payback for your efforts and enjoy some playtime 🙂

I never thought of that tbh and yes hopefully it will be easier each time and can't wait to enjoy it . Thanks again. 

• Like 1