• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Unimog 6x6

cooper_xl

While I was in a roll  also modified the portal covers, making them stronger without messing much with the look.

LyLAyQYh.jpg

Middle axle printed:
XfFlIhhh.jpg

Third axle
3NE7AcBh.jpg

Because the offset diff of the third axle, had to do new unequal shafts

3joXH3Lh.jpg

sr5SYf8h.jpg

Middle axle in place with the driveshaft bearing carrier

8FmgBHnh.jpg

jczrMGGh.jpg

Assembled...

oQSIYych.jpg

Wiring is a mess but is a problem for another day

22 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

im really enjoying this build thread really good job and attention to detail is stunning :good:

Thanks a lot!  I really enjoyed doing it

Some of you already saw this video:

I confess that making videos is not my favourite thing to do. I know that no one forces me to do them but a good video is time consuming and the truth is that I just can drive about 2 times a year....but if the video creates the right illusion, makes me happy and I hope other people like it too. Along with photos, it's a good way to show the work. (not everyone likes to see photos of half done trucks on a bench 🙂 )

Changed the battery from under the bed to a more practical location

9Xglch6h.jpg

TqDIfWRh.jpg

• Like 3

Time for change...

One thing I think I needed to improve in this truck is the front axle width. Wheels stick out from the fenders and there's too much scrub radius from the added width of the portal boxes,making the tires rub

So I've gather some parts and made new portal boxes:

0I67WBSh.png

Yes, they look the same ,albeit being made from scratch instead of copying the old ones. 

I'm using a 12t portal gear and universal shafts from Capra. The big gear is the same 25t 32dp pinion but inverted(The section where the grub screw is fits perfectly on a 10x15x4 bearing!

Each portal box measures 5,5mm less than the old ones which is great. I could also narrow the axle housing if needed,but that would not  solve the scrub radius problem

Printed and mounted, match the estimate of 11mm narrower axle. Doesn't seem much but is very noticeable with the cab. 

Also redone the axle housing with a change on a driveshaft bearing position  to fit the new Capra uni shafts

WdjcRujh.jpg

Old vs new:

Ppjh7Cqh.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tomr said:

Stunning build 👍

I maybe need to start looking into 3D printing I’d love to try something like this.

Thanks! 

3D printing is an awesome tool.  Cost of entry is not that expensive and you can make things, from simple scale accessories, spare parts and custom parts suited to your needs. FDM is more versatile and easier to use and there's resin printing that can make super detailed prints(but there's fumes and smells, not recommended to use inside the house).  These axles would be perfect with laser sintering but it's too expensive  but there's no worries about layer orientation 

Assembled, took more time shimming and eliminating friction

SEGke8dh.jpg

HAE2D2Yh.jpg

On the truck , visually,there's virtually no difference although being a brand new axle. Also, got rid of the helicoil threads. Was a bit of work, putting all of them and not always were strong as I thought . The panhard screw was always loose.

84MBRFqh.jpg