• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Might start racing...

Borked

1 hour ago, ReggieC said:

I was doing some testing at the track today on what looks like a very similar surface to you, albeit I was 2wd not 4wd. I went from Mezzos to Mini-darts which seemed to make a big difference, which is interesting as they're the opposite route of you going from mezzos to mini-spikes. I'm tempted to get hold of some mini-pins to try to as they seem to be what everyone recommends on grass. 

We race on a cricket field, so it’s very smooth flat grass which slowly gets worn away throughout the morning. The grip definitely falls away throughout the heats. I’ve only got one more race on grass before the summer season is over and we move inside and race RWD on carpet instead, so I’m not going to have much opportunity to compare the mezzos to the mini spikes, but since all the quick guys were on those tyres it makes sense to follow them. 

Always interesting to hear other peoples tyre choices. If the mini spikes don’t work out it’ll be a while before I can test out different tyre choices for grass!

• 2 weeks later...

Final race of the season is done and I had a great time in the XB4.

Three heats and a two leg final.

I was leading heat one for 7 laps until I a wheelnut loosened off and I lost rear drive 🙄 They were brand new wheelnuts before the heat and I'd tightened them, so I'm not sure what happened. I ended up dropping 2 laps as a result and came 5th/5.

Second and third heat went better, placing 3rd and 2nd.

The final is a combination of the two 4WD classes. I'm in the novice class (obviously), so we get chucked in with the experienced drivers.

Finals went pretty well. I started 7th/8 cars in the first leg, finishing 5th (top of the novice class)

Second leg was a reverse grid of the first leg, so I started 2nd. That was pretty crazy. I overtook 1st in the first bend and held the lead for and entire lap (which I was pretty happy with, considering the pace of the other drivers), but made a mistake and traction rolled and because it was near the start of the race the whole field passed me before the marshall could put me back upright. From there I was playing catch up and made another few mistakes, finishing 7th. Ended up with an overall result of 6th/8, which isn't too bad for my third race.

Then I had a little raz around before we packed up the track... and snapped a front arm! Whoops!

That's the end of outdoors for this year. We move indoors in 2 weeks, and I'll be switching to RWD class, running my B6.1... apparently it's the polar opposite of racing of dirt/very-short-grass. Loads of grip instead of none.

Really looking forward to it. 😁

• Like 3