• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Might start racing...

Borked

I've had RC cars for 25+ years, but a few years ago I got back into the hobby and bought a cheap basher - a brushless FTX Carnage. Been really enjoying bashing it about in the park and convinced my mate to get one. I thought it'd be fun to have someone to drive around with, but setting up courses and racing each other was definitely the most fun for me.

The FTX is not the strongest thing, and I'm lucky if I can get through 2 or 3 batteries without breaking something. I seem to be forever replacing diff gears, spur gears, drive shafts, suspension arms, etc... it goes on. I've built up quite a pile of spares. Since I seem to be constantly spending money repairing a "budget" car, I was thinking about upgrading. Maybe an Arrma 3s or an Associated MT-10.

Then I saw some YouTube stuff recently on racing and it reminded me of how much I enjoyed racing my mate and his truck. So... instead of spending £300-£400 on a new basher, I'm thinking of giving racing a go.

I'm near Hastings, so I think my most local club would be 1066 racing. I'm going to pop along to their next race meeting, but I wanted to get as much info as possible beforehand so I know what questions to ask. Their main class is electric 1/10 2wd buggies. Outdoor on grass in the summer, indoor on carpet in the winter.

I don't know too much about 2wd buggies, but the Associated RC10 B6 seems to be popular (on the internet at least), but it's £370 for the kit https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/associated-rc10b64-team-kit-1344342 and I'd need radio gear, wheels and shorty batteries on top of that.

There's a cheaper option, the RB10 https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/associated-rb10-ready-to-run-race-buggy-red-1337595 for £290 which is RTR and can use my existing lipos that I got for my FTX.

The RB10 seems like a no brainer, but is the car remotely competitive? The main differences I can see from my inexperienced perspective is the RB10 is rear motor and can use "normal" batteries, whereas the RC10 is mid motor and requires shorty batteries.

I have no doubt that initially I (personally) won't be competitive, but if I get the cheaper RB10 will I always be playing catch up because I bought the wrong car to start with, even when I get better at racing?

Any other cars to consider?

Anyone else been in the same boat?

Edited by Borked

Okay so I can help hear 

Got back in to RC late last year has 7 cars now 

Drift basher and crawler I went in to my local RC shop after contimplateing raceing .

For a shock tower for my lads carnage 

And saw this at a really good price 

https://rdmodels.co.uk/products/xray-xt2c21-2wd-1-10-electric-stadium-truck-carpet-edition-xr320204

So hey why not give it ago 

Went raceing last week for the 1st time 

Yup stadium arnt as fast as Buggys so in mixed class they are slower 

But less setting up and tweeking 

Also brilliant kit to build 

It actually stupid fast 

One set of wheels and tyres on stadiums cover all surface types 

I know am putting on a sales pitch for a stadium truck but am not honest 

Slower isn't a issue 

Better off starting slow and learning then upgrading slowly 

Also out local club has 9 people using the xt2 so some weeks there is just a class on it's own for them .

Best thing is to get on the club's Facebook and see what they use at the club then you have a wealth of knowledge in regards to setup tips suspension ect 

And some pictures of my finished build 

PXL_20220724_091318103.jpg

PXL_20220724_091330958.jpg

PXL_20220724_091336069.jpg

PXL_20220724_091350391.jpg

• Like 1

Hi windz,

thanks for the reply - that’s really helpful. I hadn’t considered stadium trucks. I’m not too concerned about being slow, as long as I’ve got other people with similar spec cars to compete with. 

Good plan about the Facebook page - I’ll get onto them and see what people are running. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Borked said:

Hi windz,

thanks for the reply - that’s really helpful. I hadn’t considered stadium trucks. I’m not too concerned about being slow, as long as I’ve got other people with similar spec cars to compete with. 

Good plan about the Facebook page - I’ll get onto them and see what people are running. 

No problem at all of course I had the same battery issue all my car's used full sized batts so had to shell out for some shortys 

I raced an Associated RC10B4 for five years, loved it. The car, not so much, it was weak as a kitten. (The later versions are far tougher, so don't let that put you off.)

If you're gonna race, get used to blowing through tyres in short order, especially in 2wd, they offer less all round traction, so rely heavily on the rubber. Top racers burn through three grands worth of boots per season. Just saying. Even at my level it was three figures just for tyres, you've been warned. 

Have plenty of spares, of everything!

Ask about set-up at any track you race at, the locals will know what's best and will usually enjoy helping you out. 

Hi Tug,

Thanks for the response and perspective. 

I’m under no illusion that this is going to be a super cheap hobby, I’m just trying to weigh up whether the initial outlay on a proper competition spec car, like the RC10B6, is going to be worth it for a novice like myself. I’m happy to spend a few quid on tyres if I really get into it.  

The B4 was a rear motor wasn’t it? I think the RB10 might be loosely based on it. 

I’m very tempted by the RB10, but that’s mainly due to the price. Also, I’ve re-read the RC10 page and it’s not just radio gear and wheels, I’d need to get all the electronics, which will bump the price even higher. 

I’m definitely going to chat to the local racers before spending any money. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Borked said:

Hi Tug,

Thanks for the response and perspective. 

I’m under no illusion that this is going to be a super cheap hobby, I’m just trying to weigh up whether the initial outlay on a proper competition spec car, like the RC10B6, is going to be worth it for a novice like myself. I’m happy to spend a few quid on tyres if I really get into it.  

The B4 was a rear motor wasn’t it? I think the RB10 might be loosely based on it. 

I’m very tempted by the RB10, but that’s mainly due to the price. Also, I’ve re-read the RC10 page and it’s not just radio gear and wheels, I’d need to get all the electronics, which will bump the price even higher. 

I’m definitely going to chat to the local racers before spending any money. 

You are right it's not just tx/Rx and wheels it's electronics and tools ect aswell 

The x-ray kit I got came with all greese and oils ect to get started some don't so bare that in mind aswell 

Alot start with the ftx vantage to get the ropes as you can be raceing for £120 brushed or £200  brushless 

Yes the actual "pro" grade cars are worlds apart from hobby stuff 

Side but side 

Mt10 is okay 

My mates arrma granit isn't any stronger but a bit more refined 

The xt2 is like a McLaren next to a fiesta when compared to the basher stuff 

And to give you the idea of costs I already had all tools needed so haven't had to account for any of that but these are my costs of building the car to race spec 

Xt2 kit £199 
Wheels £6.99 a pair x2 
Front tyres £12.99 
Rear tyres £12.99 
Foams £3.99 a pair x2 
Tyler glue £5
Hobbywing quickrun 120a £42 
Speed passion brushless motor £20 
21kg Servo off Amazon £12
Sensor cable for motor £4 
Paint for shell £23 
2x shorty lipos 2s cnhl £56 

Total spent 408.94

Tx /Rx £150 to be bought used a old one to start with 

Total 558.94 to spend

And as you can see I've gone cheep with some bits and will upgrade over time 

Edited by windz1000r

13 hours ago, windz1000r said:

You are right it's not just tx/Rx and wheels it's electronics and tools ect aswell 

The x-ray kit I got came with all greese and oils ect to get started some don't so bare that in mind aswell 

Alot start with the ftx vantage to get the ropes as you can be raceing for £120 brushed or £200  brushless 

Yes the actual "pro" grade cars are worlds apart from hobby stuff 

Side but side 

Mt10 is okay 

My mates arrma granit isn't any stronger but a bit more refined 

The xt2 is like a McLaren next to a fiesta when compared to the basher stuff 

And to give you the idea of costs I already had all tools needed so haven't had to account for any of that but these are my costs of building the car to race spec 

Xt2 kit £199 
Wheels £6.99 a pair x2 
Front tyres £12.99 
Rear tyres £12.99 
Foams £3.99 a pair x2 
Tyler glue £5
Hobbywing quickrun 120a £42 
Speed passion brushless motor £20 
21kg Servo off Amazon £12
Sensor cable for motor £4 
Paint for shell £23 
2x shorty lipos 2s cnhl £56 

Total spent 408.94

Tx /Rx £150 to be bought used a old one to start with 

Total 558.94 to spend

And as you can see I've gone cheep with some bits and will upgrade over time 

Thanks for the price breakdown - it's interesting to see it split out into what I'd actually have to spend.

I've got some tools and a couple of sets of radio gear (Etronix and DumboRC), so I'd just use the dumbo to start. If I used the same components as you I'd be looking at about £200 on top of any kit I bought in order to have a running car.

I think I'll follow your lead and pop into the RC shop in Hastings over the weekend for some local advice and see what they've got in stock.

Ive no interest in racing, but my friends do. They all have the latest kit, and the costs are eye watering in my opinion for the scale. Its large scale money if you regularly race, with the tyres etc. I attend to marshall/help out (going tonight actually) but it seems a significant investment.

That said, If it was me, Id buy a used one, thats kinda last season. My friends seem to all upgrade when something new comes out regardless of wether they need too. I think its a sort of peer pressure/psychological. That said, if you can pick up last years car, last years ESC/Motor etc used of a racer who has upgraded, you can save a fortune and I doubt you'd notice the difference. They also usually are in very good condition, and well set up, sometimes with a host of spares.

Edited by Kpowell911

9 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Ive no interest in racing, but my friends do. They all have the latest kit, and the costs are eye watering in my opinion for the scale. Its large scale money if you regularly race, with the tyres etc. I attend to marshall/help out (going tonight actually) but it seems a significant investment.

That said, If it was me, Id buy a used one, thats kinda last season. My friends seem to all upgrade when something new comes out regardless of wether they need too. I think its a sort of peer pressure/psychological. That said, if you can pick up last years car, last years ESC/Motor etc used of a racer who has upgraded, you can save a fortune and I doubt you'd notice the difference. They also usually are in very good condition, and well set up, sometimes with a host of spares.

I don't think I'd be racing a lot - there's not a whole lot of tracks around me (as far as I can tell anyway), but I get where you're coming from.

I've had a look on ebay for used stuff but it's not as common as I thought it might be - I guess talking to the locals might be a better option for that.

Re. the costs - I'm happy to spend the money if it's something I really enjoy. But I don't know if I enjoy it without buying a car and taking part! That's what's stopping me from diving in with both feet... I don't want to spend £600+ on something just to find out I don't really enjoy racing that much, but on the flip side I don't want to buy a cheaper RTR thing, find out I really enjoy it but immediately need a more suitable car.

It seems like the most sensible thing is definitely going and talking to the local guys and see what everyone's running.

I think others have offered plenty of good advice but here's some thoughts on the RTR RB10 vs proper race kits. The RB10 is based on Associated's previous race platform the RC10B5, but with a new plastic chassis so it can fit full size batteries. Based on the three RB10s that are run at my club here's a quick review:

• The chassis seems as durable as the proper race kits, two are driven by kids who give them a good testing.
  • It has 90% of the adjustment the latest kits have, as a beginner there's plenty you can change to get the car to drive well on your track.
  • The servo is IMO too slow for racing, if you buy one I'd would consider this an important upgrade. Any level of driver will find a faster servo is better.
  • The motor and ESC aren't sensored but this isn't as big a deal as people make out, obviously a sensored system is much better but you need a minimum level of skill to notice the difference.
  • The quality control seems a bit poor, one owner had to rebuild 3 shocks straight from the box, couple of stripped threads. Annoying but can fixed cheaply and CML might send some replacement parts if you ask.
  • On a grass track you wouldn't be at a disadvantage with a rear motor, on the carpet you will but as a beginner I wouldn't worry about it.
  • You'll need a transponder, people often forget.

In your position I'd go to the club and get a feel for the place, see if you like the crowd before buying anything, take your carnage with you as they should let you run it. Then really its a question of secondhand kit vs new RTR, depends how you feel about buying seconhand things.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lorrylemming said:

I think others have offered plenty of good advice but here's some thoughts on the RTR RB10 vs proper race kits. The RB10 is based on Associated's previous race platform the RC10B5, but with a new plastic chassis so it can fit full size batteries. Based on the three RB10s that are run at my club here's a quick review:

• The chassis seems as durable as the proper race kits, two are driven by kids who give them a good testing.
  • It has 90% of the adjustment the latest kits have, as a beginner there's plenty you can change to get the car to drive well on your track.
  • The servo is IMO too slow for racing, if you buy one I'd would consider this an important upgrade. Any level of driver will find a faster servo is better.
  • The motor and ESC aren't sensored but this isn't as big a deal as people make out, obviously a sensored system is much better but you need a minimum level of skill to notice the difference.
  • The quality control seems a bit poor, one owner had to rebuild 3 shocks straight from the box, couple of stripped threads. Annoying but can fixed cheaply and CML might send some replacement parts if you ask.
  • On a grass track you wouldn't be at a disadvantage with a rear motor, on the carpet you will but as a beginner I wouldn't worry about it.
  • You'll need a transponder, people often forget.

In your position I'd go to the club and get a feel for the place, see if you like the crowd before buying anything, take your carnage with you as they should let you run it. Then really its a question of secondhand kit vs new RTR, depends how you feel about buying seconhand things.

Thanks lorry - that's really helpful.

Particularly your experience with the RB10s. Yeah - I'd be expecting to upgrade the servo. All RTR cars I've had in the past have 💩 servos.

I don't mind second hand stuff at all, as long as it's been looked after. It's hard to know if something has been looked after without handling something yourself, though!

Based on your feedback I'm leaning towards an RB10, but I'll go and visit the club before purchasing anything.

Thanks again.

First things first is to pop along and see what everyone else is running as some clubs with have certain classes and you'll need to run something that falls into that. 

2nd hand is your best friend to start off with, you can get some good deals however be careful. 

I'm biased however I always had associated cars and never really had any issues with them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Borked said:

Soooo.... I went to the local race club today. Was chatting to the guys running the day during practice and explained that I wanted to get a car to start racing. A member overheard and let me know that he was selling up to pursue other hobbies. He let me race his Xray XB4 for the 3 heats and the final! What a legend. I didn't even come last! One heat I was second to last and in the final I was second to last. Not bad for a first day!

He wanted £500 for his XB4, an associated RC10 B6.1 (for winter carpet racing), all electric included, loads of spares, Sanwa radio gear, 6 shorty batteries, charger, tyres, wheels etc! Pretty much bit his hand off 😂

So now I'm the proud owner of all this!

IMG_2879.JPG.7352c101220c16616f8e82b6ad35134b.JPG

XB4:

IMG_2880.JPG.37a17dfdc01bfb4964f112ad04382c37.JPG

B6.1:

IMG_2881.JPG.39011e77cb8339d7545cc297757380b3.JPG

He even chucked in the pit table and rolly box to transport it all in!

Nice setup there for that money same radio gear as I am using lol 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tug said:

Noice!

So you've taken up racing then? 🤔

Yeah, locally anyway. Hopefully it’ll be a long term hobby, but if not I doubt I’d lose much reselling the kit. 

So. Much. Fun!

48 minutes ago, Borked said:

Yeah, locally anyway. Hopefully it’ll be a long term hobby, but if not I doubt I’d lose much reselling the kit. 

So. Much. Fun!

Good luck, hope you enjoy the racing. 

If you decide to sell, sell in individual lots, you'll almost certainly turn a profit that way. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Tug

If/when I sell stuff I’ll definitely be parting it out. The reason I bought it (almost without hesitation) was because I’ve spent the last month looking at how much these things cost if you buy them bit by bit. 

This was a much better deal for me than I could’ve reasonably hoped for finding online. 

I found a complete race package for a B6.2 on eBay for over double the price of this, and this comes with two cars!

👍🏻

8 minutes ago, Borked said:

Cheers @Tug

If/when I sell stuff I’ll definitely be parting it out. The reason I bought it (almost without hesitation) was because I’ve spent the last month looking at how much these things cost if you buy them bit by bit. 

This was a much better deal for me than I could’ve reasonably hoped for finding online. 

I found a complete race package for a B6.2 on eBay for over double the price of this, and this comes with two cars!

👍🏻

That tx and two receivers is £360 new 

Cars are worth a few hundred each as rollers 

• Borked changed the title to Might start racing...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Borked said:

I was also running the wrong tyres. I was on mezzo’s which are apparently better for Astro. I’ve got some mini spikes now (which is what the fast guys were running) so hopefully that’ll help for next time. 🤞🏻

I was doing some testing at the track today on what looks like a very similar surface to you, albeit I was 2wd not 4wd. I went from Mezzos to Mini-darts which seemed to make a big difference, which is interesting as they're the opposite route of you going from mezzos to mini-spikes. I'm tempted to get hold of some mini-pins to try to as they seem to be what everyone recommends on grass. 

• Like 1