• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Upgrade engine of choice for hyper 7

CJM

Hey folks

Have been running my hyper 7 for around a month now and loving it but considering an upgraded engine for it.

Have not been finding the .21 3 port 2016 edition that easy to tune, although I have got it running pretty good I would like something with a bit more grunt.

Have been leaning towards an lrp zr.32 spec 4 pullstart, but parts availability seems to be limited in the UK and rather expensive.  However, they do seem to get very good reviews.

What are the current best available options for an engine around the budget of a zr.32. Preferring pullstart at this point.

Don't want to spend a fortune, but would like something reliable and easier to tune (top priority) with low maintenance costs (a nice to have).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by CJM

The lrp engines have a terrible carb standard and are not easy to tune at all. You can look on eBay and  see many people are selling used lrp engines because they aren't able to tune them or hold the tune properly. On my ZR.28 I had to fit a novarossi carb which was another £60 ontop of the engine just to get it to run reasonably. 

You would probably be better off going with a picco rebel xl if you would prefer something easier to tune. Just look how this engine performs in a savage.

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/pic9663-picco-rebel-xl-buggy-and-truggy-engine-with-pullstart-p

Bigger is not always  better, especially in a buggy. You dont necessarily need the extra torque in one, as its not heavy like a monster truck, and it will drink fuel very quickly. A good 21 engine will do, see what racing clubs use and what is available.  You dont necessarily need a race engine for bashing, suppliers usually have a lower spec range.  Availability for engines and spares isnt great at this time, but unless your using gallons of fuel over the summer then you shouldnt need any, apart from glow plugs and maybe pullstart.   

• Like 1

I have hyper 7 with the older LRP spec 2 .fantastic engine .holds tune easy n just runs n runs .the LRP 28/30/32 are not a direct fit in the hyper . As above said the newer LRP 32 spec 4 has the newer carb AV fitted said engine and the carb is sxxt  .and as above if that picco rags a savage around like that it will be bang on for the hyper