• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Getting back into things.. looking at a 1/8 scale truggy/buggy

After getting sucked back into the hobby a while ago, and sucking a few friends in with me :D, I've decided what I really want is something that's 1/8 scale and a truggy, I got here by smashing up an FTX vantage trying to do brushless speed runs, and battering a WLToys 124019 around a local carpark, as well as venturing into crawlers, which I really enjoy, but sometimes you just want to be a hooligan.

The chap I share a workshop with has a few 1/8 scale Arrma's, and ideally what I'd like is something of a similar scale.

I'm into truggy's, I like the style, I'm a crap driver and they seem fast and forgiving, and I've absolutely no interest in racing, so ideally I guess what I want is a 1/8 truggy... I love the way they look, the way they drive, and I'm not really into monster trucks.

I also want to do it cheap.. obviously I've got RX/TX from my crawlers that I can use, I do have under my bench an unused 120amp RaceStar (bangood) ESC with a 2150 sensorless 3670 4 pole motor

A friend is looking to move on his brushless converted Hyper 7, obviously that's not a truggy, it's a buggy, but if I wanted to make it into a truggy, what would I need to do that,  is it even possible?, it comes with a ton of spares, a decent hobbywing ESC and motor setup, spare shocks and wheels, and a load of CNC upgraded parts

Otherwise I'm considering giving something like a Hobao Hyper ST Pro (and brushless converting it) or should I be looking at something like a Corally Shogun XP?

I hate doing these "what should I buy" posts, and I have searched, but a lot of the threads I've been looking at are quite old and don't really mention the newer stuff.

On 14/03/2022 at 09:58, DaveDorson said:

After getting sucked back into the hobby a while ago, and sucking a few friends in with me :D, I've decided what I really want is something that's 1/8 scale and a truggy, I got here by smashing up an FTX vantage trying to do brushless speed runs, and battering a WLToys 124019 around a local carpark, as well as venturing into crawlers, which I really enjoy, but sometimes you just want to be a hooligan.

The chap I share a workshop with has a few 1/8 scale Arrma's, and ideally what I'd like is something of a similar scale.

I'm into truggy's, I like the style, I'm a crap driver and they seem fast and forgiving, and I've absolutely no interest in racing, so ideally I guess what I want is a 1/8 truggy... I love the way they look, the way they drive, and I'm not really into monster trucks.

I also want to do it cheap.. obviously I've got RX/TX from my crawlers that I can use, I do have under my bench an unused 120amp RaceStar (bangood) ESC with a 2150 sensorless 3670 4 pole motor

A friend is looking to move on his brushless converted Hyper 7, obviously that's not a truggy, it's a buggy, but if I wanted to make it into a truggy, what would I need to do that,  is it even possible?, it comes with a ton of spares, a decent hobbywing ESC and motor setup, spare shocks and wheels, and a load of CNC upgraded parts

Otherwise I'm considering giving something like a Hobao Hyper ST Pro (and brushless converting it) or should I be looking at something like a Corally Shogun XP?

I hate doing these "what should I buy" posts, and I have searched, but a lot of the threads I've been looking at are quite old and don't really mention the newer stuff.

If you aren't planning on jumping miles the team corally shogun would be a good choice. The motor and ESC are really decent from what I've seen.  The chassis and platform isn't the strongest though. The arrmas seem to be a bit heavier and slower, but a bit more durable when jumping.  Especially with aftermarket parts. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...