• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mite of got the bug, well once i get a heli that fly`s

It all began with this Heli malarky about a month ago, was xmas shopping and i spotted this beast......eeerr welll ya know ha ha

Heli.thumb.jpg.eb33fc74673b42174b76ac816d73e07c.jpg

what a crock of doo dar. i wouldnt of given a kid for xmas, less than 2min flight time so no time to get to fly it and learn at all. kid would have no chance. and loose interest.  

SSoooooo  a few days later 

i thought i would ask about on the FB pages. well as usual i went wrong and this was not much better well it was untill a hair ruined it all and damaged the tail motor. 

Buzzflyer FE    

what a nightmare to fix, well with loosing site in one eye not long ago and other is naff i got a helping hands kit and solder set with new motor and few bits and had  ago to replace the tail motor.

I have patience of a saint i reckon as i did not throw a spanner lol. 

or micro heli 

Have to say what a rubbish design these are to have an open motor

ttttttt.thumb.jpg.42727913fa243c906c29343641771e08.jpg

Well got it going and thenm the tail motor strating playing up again in less than 30 mins so i gave  up on it, Now that sits in the workshop on the shelf untill when ever. 

Anyway as i am one not to give up i got a brand new one, this time a slight bigger one and a Blade 120S2 RTF, should be here this week 🙂

folk tell me to get a ACC simulator to learn to fly it. Your thoughts as back in the day they were not about, is it a `cheat mode` to learn to fly or just to save or breakages ?. 

BLH1100_PP_1.jpg

A sim is a good tool to help you learn to fly and yep its a lot cheaper to crash in the sim 

The 120 might be a tad big to fly in the house and youl only be able to fly outside in a flat calm as its a fixed pitch helli :cheers:

38 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

A sim is a good tool to help you learn to fly and yep its a lot cheaper to crash in the sim 

The 120 might be a tad big to fly in the house and youl only be able to fly outside in a flat calm as its a fixed pitch helli :cheers:

yes bit big for in the house but its just to get practice and in the garden.  i got so fed up of folk saying get this no get this etc etc etc i just got the one that had what i need and in my budget, folk say get this, and then i see its well over £300.  ill soon know if i get the full on bug a si want a kit, maybe a ALZRC - Devil X360. 

You can go smaller later when you get hang of fixed pitch and want to go collective pitch with a nano or mcpx and you can fly both indoors and outdoors as collective pitch hellis can handle a fair breeze

I'm the same started with syma 107g they are really good to fly inside really recommend these, then had wltoys v950 over Christmas to try outside, the best thing with the syma 107g is it learns you about mastering the opposite steering when coming towards you.

On 03/01/2022 at 00:30, Stormbringer said:

You can go smaller later when you get hang of fixed pitch and want to go collective pitch with a nano or mcpx and you can fly both indoors and outdoors as collective pitch hellis can handle a fair breeze

Dont want to go smaller, if i do i still have the Buzzflyer FE if i bother to fix it.  

On 03/01/2022 at 17:35, Glenn75 said:

I'm the same started with syma 107g they are really good to fly inside really recommend these, then had wltoys v950 over Christmas to try outside, the best thing with the syma 107g is it learns you about mastering the opposite steering when coming towards you.

Got the 120S2 and its spot on and flies rgeat in the house just hovering and getting used to the controls, dam confusing the head on directions ha ha, 

This about fourth flight. after an few hours i broke the tail so ordered a few more. got another 4 batteries coming aswell, just got a multi 6 charger also, cheap thing bit it works.  

https://www.facebook.com/messenger_media/?thread_id=3288467147939309&attachment_id=1050186132489984&message_id=mid.%24gAAuu1-w1Xe2EYMS8s1-L385yD8Kv

Edited by Cfaffer

6 minutes ago, Cfaffer said:

Dont want to go smaller, if i do i still have the Buzzflyer FE if i bother to fix it.  

Got the 120S2 and its spot on and flies rgeat in the house just hovering and getting used to the controls, dam confusing the head on directions ha ha, 

This about fourth flight. after an few hours i broke the tail so ordered a few more. got another 4 batteries coming aswell, just got a multi 6 charger also, cheap thing bit it works.  

https://www.facebook.com/messenger_media/?thread_id=3288467147939309&attachment_id=1050186132489984&message_id=mid.%24gAAuu1-w1Xe2EYMS8s1-L385yD8Kv

In that case i would recomend a Blade 230s

https://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=33_1086&products_id=15178&osCsid=joh0uqspei5lto97i0sh961bt7

You need a spektrum dx6 transmitter or a transmitter that will use the speky dsmx protocol batteries and charger there is an rtf version but tnats 300 odd quid

Nice size not to big not to small and really nice flyer 

Edited by Stormbringer

14 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

In that case i would recomend a Blade 230s

https://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=33_1086&products_id=15178&osCsid=joh0uqspei5lto97i0sh961bt7

You need a spektrum dx6 transmitter or a transmitter that will use the speky dsmx protocol batteries and charger there is an rtf version but tnats 300 odd quid

Nice size not to big not to small and really nice flyer 

dont see the poin t in buying another heli though if i have the Buzzflyer FE

and the way its going i wont be getting another cheapo thing as even cant get batteries for the Blade 120s2

I've managed to break most parts on the v950 except the motors and rotors I seem to panic then it just drops out the sky, the good thing parts are really cheap of ebay just a couple of weeks postage from China. I've never had a helicopter before of this size not sure it breaks so much because it's cheap or they are all like that.

5 hours ago, Glenn75 said:

I've managed to break most parts on the v950 except the motors and rotors I seem to panic then it just drops out the sky, the good thing parts are really cheap of ebay just a couple of weeks postage from China. I've never had a helicopter before of this size not sure it breaks so much because it's cheap or they are all like that.

one thing i am glad of on the 120s" is that the tail comes wired up and pulgs in as the Buzzflyer FE needs rewiring and soldering up. i was going to get some carnbon rod but then i found the 102S2 is prewired i couldnt, would of been cheaper but at about £60 each isn cheap. i ordered six by mistake but i am sure ill go throught hem lol

Took the heli out this morning finally managed to get through 1 pack without crashing, second pack then managed to smash it up again with a bad landing not even hard, I've now run out of spares just waiting on them to arrive I've nearly bought a second heli just in spares.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Glenn75 said:

Took the heli out this morning finally managed to get through 1 pack without crashing, second pack then managed to smash it up again with a bad landing not even hard, I've now run out of spares just waiting on them to arrive I've nearly bought a second heli just in spares.

I dont know why i didnt get common spares loke tai; booms and tai; rudders etc.  i didnt even get batteries lol. another heli thouhg you only get one spare of each. i foind one for £40 complete runner but that was it. 

have now thye arrived today. 

4 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Welcome to the joys of flying helicopters  its not if i crash but more when you crash :cheers:

yep , i had same tproblem when i had nitrp cars.i just got giddy and doing daft things with it. 

The extra batteries arrived today. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BFMW4B1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they would nit fit either, i removed the outer clear wrapper and fits perfect now. 

charged all 5 in juts under an hour.

just wating for the new tail booms to arrive, 

sorry about spelling but still cant see proper and getting sick of edoting

So the addiction has started now £140 for the heli (Christmas present from the wife) £120 spent on ebay in spares, £25 lipo from wheelspin and its probably had 30mins total flying time.

The only original bits will be Esc, motors and 2 servos. I thought the cars were bad enough.

well looks like the bug is fast leaving me.

I dont mind fixing stuff but  when its one thung after another without crashng it even. 

Got the new batteries half a dozen tail booms and easy fitted a new tail boom. on fitting the wires are so small and naff fitting, as in not supported in the connector from the tail motor one came away. 

so not to happy but got on to try and solder it. while doing so the other broke.  I was liking this heli as the others i have had dont have connectors do need soldering up. this is easy.......ye.

just left it in the shed now and i mite will deal with it another time. for now ill stick with building my boat.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be getting better all the parts came today to put it back together, managed to do a full pack and no breakage . Going to try again tomorrow with 3 full packs have bought enough spares to 're build it a couple of times

Took it out today to the local field managed 2 full packs woo hoo😁 ,then one bad landing/crash in grass broke servo arm,swash plate and couple of other little parts, it's my first helicopter are they all this fragile or just this v950.

Love the flying just not sure if it's the helicopter I chose or this is the way it is?

Not familiar with that helli so dont know if its fragile or not but a good move if its going in is to hit throttle hold it cuts power to the motor so the rotors arnt being driven 

They are stillspinning but not being driven it tends to reduce crash damage 

• 6 months later...

It's been a few months, did you all give up or give it another crack? 

Thing with helis, is that you will crash lots in the beginning, because what never seems to get talked about with newbies is that it is hard!! Helicopters are the hardest RC to do.  It takes a while to be able to fly competently with collective pitch helis. They aren't like cars where that are designed to crash / bash. There is a lot of energy in those blades. So the idea is to not crash. Only the pros say "if you're not crashing you're not flying" well that's true for them learning Inverted autos but not for newbies. 

Simulator is a necessity to learn really, unless you like spending lots of time replacing expensive parts. 

It's a whole new ball game, but when you do learn to fly competently without crashing it opens a whole new world of RC and learning new things. You can learn new moves for years and years. Not something you can really say for cars (but that might be a good thing!!) So the steep learning curve is worth it. I fly planes too, and even much more experienced pilots will watch me fly the Heli because they are impressive and people know they aren't easy. 

I'd also say once you learn to fly without crashing, a midsize Heli like a 450 is cheaper than a car. Parts don't wear out anywhere near as quickly, and there isn't as much in the air to crash into.. Unless you're a really rubbish pilot!

Fantastic help for people new to flying athttps://www.rchelicopterfun.com/ , there are also tutorials on how to learn without the sim, as not everyone wants to sim, and back in the day, they didn't even exist.

Hope you all had another go and have 700s now, doing piroflips 😛

• Like 1