• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Question about a nitro RC car

maniqwils

I just bought my first nitro rc car -- a Traxxas Jato 3.3. I bought it used from an top-rated rc car/parts dealer on ebay who said it was in great running condition. It's on its way in the mail right now, and I'm looking forward to receiving it on Friday.

Since this is my first nitro, I thought I'd ask some questions about mainten 192.168.1.1 ance and such. I've seen too many stories of people who get a nitro rc car and ruin it soon after by not handling it correctly. Luckily, since this is used, it was already broken in by an experienced rc enthusiast. That's one less thing I have to worry about.  router login

My question is: what should be my procedure before, during, and after running a nitro car to ensure the longest life and the lowest maintenance?

Edited by maniqwils

Watch some videos on how to tune and what a lean or rich engine sounds like. Usually tune in this order after engine is up to operating temp, HSN, LSN, idle.  Let engine warm up before sustained full throttle. If pull start then dont over pull and stop if engine is flooded.  Too lean settings for extended periods reduces lubrication and with higher temps can reduce engine life. Empty tank and fuel lines if not running for a few  weeks. Some use a few drops of after run oil at the end to perhaps add some magic lubrication when storing.  Also leaving piston at bottom of stroke maybe beneficial. Have some spare glow plugs. Make sure glow starter is always fully charged before bashing.  Some new engines can be hard to turn over so preheating the engine to 150+C helps. Also slightly loosening glow plug helps turn over on some new engines but dont forget to tighten after starting. An infrared temp gun can help sometimes. Know what the stock needle settings are. Turning needles clockwise is leaning and opposite is richening.  Know how to check and replace clutch shoes. Nitros vibrate more than electric so check screws arent coming loose.

• Like 1