• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outcast Mini 2 problem

Simo7

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and just getting into crawling. I have had a look around and it looks a great place to hang out.

I bought the FTX Outcast Mini 2 a few days ago. It worked faultlessly for 2 days and now it has developed a problem after the rear driveshaft popped out. I managed to pop it back in but now the crawler judders/jerks when accelerating.  Also, when you move off from stand still the body leans to one side before moving and stays like it as it is going along. Can somebody help me please? Any ideas what it could be? All help appreciated.  Video might give you a better idea of what is happening. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. No. The grub screw was not loose. The 2 parts of the rear driveshaft separated somehow. So I removed rear shocks, dropped the axle down a bit and connected the 2 parts of the driveshaft.

The video below shows the 'wobble/jerking' motion. 

Edited by Simo7

MrPeaski you were right. I connected the driveshaft as in the above picture- correct phasing and it seems all is well now.

Many thanks to you and MrCake for advising me. My son will be pleased that the Outback is now working correctly.

MrPeaski, I see you have an Outback Mini 2. Have you done any upgrades? If so, which ones would you say are worthwhile?

Cheers.

Glad I could help. Must be honest, I'm fairly new to crawlers in general and I saw the 'fix' suggested to someone else around the same time I got my mini.

For the most part mine is stock except for an upgraded motor (100t high torque FTX9329), 25A brushed ESC (FTX9396) and receiver (radiolink) these replace the combo ecs/receiver primarily so I could use my RC6GS Transmitter as it has a 10 model memory so I only need 1.

To be fair, none are really necessary and it will run fine with the stock kit.

I tried a couple of different shock sets, These https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-mini-outback-2.0-aluminium-shock-upgrade-set-4pc--446190, and also these, https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/carisma-scale-adventure-aluminium-oil-filled-shock-absorber-set-msa-1e--435358

But reverted back to the plastic stock ones, I found the FTX ones would bind regularly and the Carisma's weren't really designed to fit anyway but I did get them on but it was a faf and performance wasn't all that great. I have seen a member on here that has successfully got them to work, probably in the Micro's and Minis section if you have a dig around. (Edit) This was the thread I was thinking of, similar chassis to the FTX Mini

Only Mod I have done that makes a bit of difference is adding weight to the wheels with this 3D printed mod https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4554401

Edited by MrPeaski
Extra Info

Thanks for the reply. Gonna look into the wheel weights idea. Might provide a bit more grip at the front.

Do you know if there are any different body shells that fit the Outback Mini 2.0? My son would like a new body shell for Christmas but I don't know which ones will fit.