• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

whats the best brushless combo for ftx outlaw

rob machin

hi there guys, i have recently purchased a ftx outlaw brushed off ebay and wanting to upgrade to brushless.. ive tryed spare brushless systems i have and none seem to work right in it 🙄.. all it seems to do is slip and make a weird noise.. is there a reason for this ?????? THANKS ROB

Was it a new Outlaw or had it been shredded already?  Stupid question I know but have you checked the pinion and spur gear are in good shape and meshed together correctly?

Not experienced it myself but I have heard that if the motor is too powerful it can flex the plastic gearbox and eat the gears inside. 

• Thanks 1

The factory brushless system is 60A ESC and 2950kv motor, so you want something in that sort of region as a good starting point I reckon. 

I’ve not taken mine out to look but I’m pretty sure you also need to change the pinion and motor mount from 17t to 23t as you go from brushed to brushless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Was it a new Outlaw or had it been shredded already?  Stupid question I know but have you checked the pinion and spur gear are in good shape and meshed together correctly?

Not experienced it myself but I have heard that if the motor is too powerful it can flex the plastic gearbox and eat the gears inside. 

Cheers for the advice I'll check on that 👍

5 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

The factory brushless system is 60A ESC and 2950kv motor, so you want something in that sort of region as a good starting point I reckon. 

I’ve not taken mine out to look but I’m pretty sure you also need to change the pinion and motor mount from 17t to 23t as you go from brushed to brushless. 

Thanks for the advice really appreciated 👍is it a sensorless system or just normal brushless system 

19 minutes ago, rob machin said:

Thanks for the advice really appreciated 👍is it a sensorless system or just normal brushless system 

The stock brushless is sensorless and the esc isnt great the next version up etroix offer is much better and actually waterproof, but the whole thing lacks the power to move the truck.
Hobbywing ezrun max 10 with 3652 3200kv motor on 2s 35c+ 5000mha lipo should give you a good blast for 15min or so. Look at replacing the brass pinion with a steel one and pick up some spare spur gears whilst at it.
Jump over to the Outlaw owners if you havent already, some good details on mods etc. Outlaws only come with 17t they can be upgraded to 23t with a motor plate but the truck is over geared as it is.
When you put the brushless setup in, was the motor plate the right direction, was the pinion meshed with the spur and was the grub screw engaged with the motor shaft on the pinion.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Redback said:

The stock brushless is sensorless and the esc isnt great the next version up etroix offer is much better and actually waterproof, but the whole thing lacks the power to move the truck.
Hobbywing ezrun max 10 with 3652 3200kv motor on 2s 35c+ 5000mha lipo should give you a good blast for 15min or so. Look at replacing the brass pinion with a steel one and pick up some spare spur gears whilst at it.
Jump over to the Outlaw owners if you havent already, some good details on mods etc.

Once again cheers for the advice I'm heading over to outlaw owners now 😊

I don’t much rate the factory fit TBH and will fit one of these when I finally kill it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywing-EZRUN-Combo-MAX10-3652SL-3300KV-Brushless-Motor-Part-Number-HW38010203-/233467662332?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

...although so far the factory ESC has survived me submarining it and accidental reverse polarity too, so it’s tougher than it’s generally credited with, but I don’t particularly care for it as I don’t find it goes into reverse consistently - sometimes it just sits there like a dumb turd

6 minutes ago, Redback said:

Jump over to the Outlaw owners if you havent already, some good details on mods etc. Outlaws only come with 17t they can be upgraded to 23t with a motor plate but the truck is over geared as it is.
When you put the brushless setup in, was the motor plate the right direction, was the pinion meshed with the spur and was the grub screw engaged with the motor shaft on the pinion.

I used a normal brushless system didn't realise it had to be sensorless. Yes everything was perfect it was just cogging if that's what u call it 

11 minutes ago, rob machin said:

I used a normal brushless system didn't realise it had to be sensorless. Yes everything was perfect it was just cogging if that's what u call it 

Doesnt have to be sensorless, diffrent escs and motors will perform diffrently, sensored is the way to go to remove the cogging, the max 10 will saftey cut off if it stalls 3 times (cogging), this will still happen on hills and long grass due to the overgearing of the truck, either feather the throttle to avoid the cogging, go sensored and or lower kv longer can motor eg 3565 but watch the shaft size theres no 5mm pinions for the outlaw just yet.
The issue with the stock brushless electrics is its only 45amp, the next one up is Etronix Photon 2.1FW 60amp and thats better and waterproof / potted when the stock brushless esc is splashproof and just got a rubber gasket vs being potted
The hobbywing thats 60a has much higher peak along with a staggered rotor that reduces cogging somewhat, next up would be the max 10 stc, depends on what your driving is like were you drive it and what you want from the car.

Edited by Redback

8 minutes ago, Redback said:

The issue with the stock brushless electrics is its only 45amp, the next one up is Etronix Photon 2.1FW 60amp and thats better and waterproof / potted when the stock brushless esc is splashproof and just got a rubber gasket vs being potted

I don’t know if it’s potted, but mine came new last month with a Photon  60A 2.1w - my work colleagues have just bought Bugsta and Carnage and they have the same. 

4 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

I don’t know if it’s potted, but mine came new last month with a Photon  60A 2.1w - my work colleagues have just bought Bugsta and Carnage and they have the same. 

I have the Etronix photon 60amp esc with the 2950kv in my absima ab3.4 it came out of a friends outlaw, not a bad system especially if you get the program card for it!

1 minute ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

I have the Etronix photon 60amp esc with the 2950kv in my absima ab3.4 it came out of a friends outlaw, not a bad system especially if you get the program card for it!

Yeah, the program card is essential, if for no better reason than to make the lipo cutoff a sensible voltage!

9 minutes ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

Now youve made me paranoid! gonna have to check mine today

From the factory it seems to be set to 3v per cell but I prefer 3.2v just to allow a little headroom for the cells being out of balance as the pack approaches 6v overall

Edited by walkbythesea