• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Turtle top plate issue

Danzzz88

So after putting my turtle top plate on it's contacting the brake hex causing binding, the brake hex is a one piece alloy Area rc one.. I saw one other post on another forum where they mentioned bimding with the Turtle top plate...why is this and what is the fix? Also is it normal that the layshaft has play in it inwards and outwards, I don't mean the side to side olay or the missing bearing issue but play in and out of the transmission case.

That's good to know the play in and out is normal, maybe the hex is too big or the layshaft is bent somehow even though it's new, as it only binds at half a revolution so that suggests the layshaft is either bent or hex is drilled off centre. Tbh this whole car is an absolute pita, literally nothing lines up or fits without modification, granted my build is 90% aftetmarket but having to loosen 15 bolts at a time that are threadlocked in order to get all the parts mesh together properly without binding or filing stuff down to fix fitment issues is a nightmare on something so big and heavy. The way it is designed is ridiculous, literally everything is tied to everything else so if you thread lock one section down and it is a few 10ths of a mm out by the time you get to another part the holes don't line up and you have to loosen the entire rear ends bolts breaking the threadlock again.

Also does anyone have a better solution for the crappy tiny diff case screws too, they are so easy to strip after threadlocking, luckily I got them out with an extractor but wondered as I'm running grease in the diff if I can leave them out or if there is a better solution or something else that fits rather than the specific HPI ones?

Cheers

Ok after watching the turtle plate install it seems you must remove the plastic washer from the brake hex... Well my hex is one of the alloy ones with the washer built in so I know what the problem is now. The only question on my mind now though us does that mean the Turtle top plate also acts as a stopper for the discs sliding off the hex? In that case another stupid design choice, why wpuld I want my brake rotors slowly grinding away at my expensive turtle top plate? This car gets more ridiculous the further I get along with the build.. XD