• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

Came across this on Amazon £12 ish

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N75NT5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A controller for the winch that works on a spare channel of the radio gear got it fitted to both the DC1 and Wendigo works well so far and no need for extra dongle :cheers:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Love the low speed control

that looking good, do you run 2 or 3s in yours,  mine gets a 27turns 550 can motor in it, but I have not a  idea what kind of speed I get on 2 or 3s, I have 2 and 3s packs only the 3s packs are a little on the heavy site.

Edited by No brains
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, No brains said:

that looking good, do you run 2 or 3s in yours,  mine gets a 27turns 550 can motor in it, but I have not a  idea what kind of speed I get on 2 or 3s, I have 2 and 3s packs only the 3s packs are a little on the heavy site.

3s, I'll do a speed comparison at some point. 2s is plenty fast enough, but when torque is needed 3s is the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did the first step today, I build the gearbox, everthing went fine and the gearshift works, the only thing that was a little harder then the most cars was to set the gearmesh right, had to use a little flashlight to see how much room there was between the teeth.

50942997691_4cd1af724b_c.jpg

50943104342_95025b2d59_c.jpg

Edited by No brains

17 minutes ago, No brains said:

Did the first step today, I build the gearbox, everthing went fine and the gearshift works, the only thing that was a little harder then the most cars was to set the gearmesh right, had to use a little flashlight to see how much room there was between the teeth.

50942997691_4cd1af724b_c.jpg

50943104342_95025b2d59_c.jpg

Next time you need to set the mesh just to it by ear. Give the spur a little wiggle, it should have a tiny amount of give, you should hear a little "click click" as it moves back and forth against the pinion.

Good to see you've made a start 🙂

56 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

so long as just a tiny bit of backlash that should do it :cheers:

ohh remember to threadlock metal to metal screws :good:

there is a little bit of wiggle room in it,  most of the time you can see between the spur and pinion gear and is it easier to set.

Did  Not forget the threadlock👍, I have a bad habit of using to much threadlock and things  get stuck when I have to replace parts, and then have to use a torch or buy a new part because of screws broke of, I build a lot of cars but I never learn on that part, always think that things go loose when I apply a little of that stuff and then put to much on it, and I use a green low strenght threadlock.

• Like 1

I the past when setting the mesh between a motor pinion and spur gear, I've used the paper method.

Trap a piece of paper between the two gears, push firmly together then tighten up the screws.

Have neither of you tried this before?

Edited by MrPeaski

On a side note, what radios are you guys using?

As i mentioned I was going to mod an existing switch on my Radiolink RC4GS......well that didn't go so well. Managed to cut the aerial cable during the partial re assembly (don't ask!!) so now its FUBAR

Thinking of alternatives, I've got the 6 channel version of the above in mind but(around £80 with 2 receivers) but any worthy alternatives around the same price, considering that if you pick the 'power bundle 2' at Modelsport you get a 3 channel Absima CR3P and 1 receiver

Well im a spekky guy and use a DX5 Rugged and using the 5ch receiver it came with in mine and im using 4 channels lol :rofl:

If you like what you were using then why not same again as you already have at least 1 receiver ?

• Like 1

There is the familiarity thing with the 6 channel. Can't seem to find just the transmitter though so I would have 4 receivers in total! 🤣

Downside is that the receivers are not waterproof

Edited by MrPeaski
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrPeaski said:

There is the familiarity thing with the 6 channel. Can't seem to find just the transmitter though so I would have 4 receivers in total! 🤣

Downside is that the receivers are not waterproof

None of my receivers are waterproof but the DC1 receiver box hasnt let any water in yet :good:

@everclear1984 how was the new motor on your walk today ?

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

None of my receivers are waterproof but the DC1 receiver box hasnt let any water in yet :good:

@everclear1984 how was the new motor on your walk today ?

Incredible. I ran it on 2s, it's a lower turn motor so about as fast as the old one was on 3s, but has more torque. Guess I'll be sticking to 2s now!

• Like 1