• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Waterproof truggy servo?

Hey,

as the title explains, i'm looking for a waterproof servo to throw at an EXB once i get it (28th of November 😭). After googling for 10 hours or so, my head's just spinning and i have no idea what to consider. The only "restrictions" are that it has to be under £120, it has to be waterproof, it has to be 0.15sec or faster, and over 25kg torque. I intend to run it 7.4v. 

I don't mind chinese specials either, as long as they're tried and tested. 

Ooooor, if push comes to shove, could someone ELI5 to me how to waterproof it myself with conformal coating etc - after telling me how waterproof it exactly is afterwards. Cheers. 

7 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Hey,

as the title explains, i'm looking for a waterproof servo to throw at an EXB once i get it (28th of November 😭). After googling for 10 hours or so, my head's just spinning and i have no idea what to consider. The only "restrictions" are that it has to be under £120, it has to be waterproof, it has to be 0.15sec or faster, and over 25kg torque. I intend to run it 7.4v. 

I don't mind chinese specials either, as long as they're tried and tested. 

Ooooor, if push comes to shove, could someone ELI5 to me how to waterproof it myself with conformal coating etc - after telling me how waterproof it exactly is afterwards. Cheers. 

AV ordered exb too delivery 9th December lol .if it turns up  .alot of servos are splash proof not waterproof .I have ordered this SAVOX HV CNC MONSTER BRUSHLESS SAV-SB2290SG .probably be over the top but looks good 

• Like 1

I looked at the 2290, but that in particular didn't encourage me for a single reason. If you look at the Savox webpage, they sell a SW2290SG-BE (Black Edition) for slightly more, with even more torque and in particular, waterproof. It's the same price (ish) as the original 2290, so i simply don't see why i should settle for a worse servo at the same price point. Sadly, i can't find the 55kg version anywhere but in the  US. 

edit:

This one.

https://www.savoxusa.com/products/new-monster-performance-high-voltage-high-torque-standard-size-servo

If i could find it in the UK, i'd probably take it. Considering my prior experiences with Savox (hit and miss), i'd only order it from somewhere where i can realistically file a warranty claim if it gives in. 

Also, it needs an external BEC since it can pull up to 10A. 

Edited by m4inbrain

2 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

I looked at the 2290, but that in particular didn't encourage me for a single reason. If you look at the Savox webpage, they sell a SW2290SG-BE (Black Edition) for slightly more, with even more torque and in particular, waterproof. It's the same price (ish) as the original 2290, so i simply don't see why i should settle for a worse servo at the same price point. Sadly, i can't find the 55kg version anywhere but in the  US. 

edit:

This one.

https://www.savoxusa.com/products/new-monster-performance-high-voltage-high-torque-standard-size-servo

If i could find it in the UK, i'd probably take it. Considering my prior experiences with Savox (hit and miss), i'd only order it from somewhere where i can realistically file a warranty claim if it gives in. 

Also, it needs an external BEC since it can pull up to 10A. 

Read this fella .....Water and dust proof connectivity products are defined by their Ingress Protection (IP) numbers. ... IP67 equipment is the most commonly found in the connectivity market. It is 100% protected against solid objects like dust and sand, and it has been tested to work for at least 30 minutes while under 15cm to 1m of water.

its more water resistant .

2 minutes ago, mickturnip said:

Read this fella .....Water and dust proof connectivity products are defined by their Ingress Protection (IP) numbers. ... IP67 equipment is the most commonly found in the connectivity market. It is 100% protected against solid objects like dust and sand, and it has been tested to work for at least 30 minutes while under 15cm to 1m of water.

its more water resistant .

That's what i said. If i'd buy a 2290, it would be the one i linked, not the one you bought. The servo i linked, and the servo you bought are two different servos - designated SW2290SG and SB2290SG. The SW has an IP67 rating, the one you bought (SB2290SG) doesn't. That's why i said i wouldn't buy the one you bought, because the servo cable is exposed on the bottom of the servo - and i can't find the SW anywhere in the UK. 

This is yours:

https://www.savoxusa.com/collections/monster-performance/products/savsb2290sg-monster-torque-black-edition

This is the one i would buy if i could get it.

Easily distinguishable by the blue sticker, Savox marks their waterproof stuff blue (either the entire servo or at least the sticker). 

9 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

That's what i said. If i'd buy a 2290, it would be the one i linked, not the one you bought. The servo i linked, and the servo you bought are two different servos - designated SW2290SG and SB2290SG. The SW has an IP67 rating, the one you bought (SB2290SG) doesn't. That's why i said i wouldn't buy the one you bought, because the servo cable is exposed on the bottom of the servo - and i can't find the SW anywhere in the UK. 

This is yours:

https://www.savoxusa.com/collections/monster-performance/products/savsb2290sg-monster-torque-black-edition

This is the one i would buy if i could get it.

Easily distinguishable by the blue sticker, Savox marks their waterproof stuff blue (either the entire servo or at least the sticker). 

I never be the one you wanted existed lol .I just had someone recommend the one I got .he said it was very fast n that when he used it in wet it never faulted .he did say never go near sea water with it tho n never submerge it .other savox servos AV had have been spot on .

The 2290 isn't very fast either, it's slightly faster than a Kraton stock servo ;)

What it certainly is though, is massively more powerful. To the point where you can't run it without external BEC, since a Max6 can only supply 6A (the 2290 can pull up to 10A). I did in the end buy a servo now, so i'm sorted. Sadly not waterproof/resistant, but i decided i'd like a fast and "strong enough" servo over a slow(ish) titan of a servo. 30kg and 0.075 seconds sounds good in an EXB to me. 

Each to his own though, i understand that the 2290 is a great servo, just that i'd probably put that in my crawler rather than the EXB (not that my crawler could supply the necessary 10A either lol). 

10 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

The 2290 isn't very fast either, it's slightly faster than a Kraton stock servo ;)

What it certainly is though, is massively more powerful. To the point where you can't run it without external BEC, since a Max6 can only supply 6A (the 2290 can pull up to 10A). I did in the end buy a servo now, so i'm sorted. Sadly not waterproof/resistant, but i decided i'd like a fast and "strong enough" servo over a slow(ish) titan of a servo. 30kg and 0.075 seconds sounds good in an EXB to me. 

Each to his own though, i understand that the 2290 is a great servo, just that i'd probably put that in my crawler rather than the EXB (not that my crawler could supply the necessary 10A either lol). 

I did wonder if the savox 1256tg would be enough.as that's fast n 25kg torque but can only run 6v not the 7.4 volt system I'm getting 

Hm.. The 1256tg is known as a pretty slow servo (0.15 at 6v), and it "only" does 20kg. It's better than the stock Kraton servo, but not by that much. 

I also had two of them die, so not too fond of them. Not sure what "system" you're getting, but usually you can select BEC voltage (either 6v or 7.4v) through the menu. 

2 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Hm.. The 1256tg is known as a pretty slow servo (0.15 at 6v), and it "only" does 20kg. It's better than the stock Kraton servo, but not by that much. 

I also had two of them die, so not too fond of them. Not sure what "system" you're getting, but usually you can select BEC voltage (either 6v or 7.4v) through the menu. 

ThisScreenshot_20201012-232538.thumb.jpg.3d1978827595816d81bab16668af4114.jpg

Same ESC as me, so you CAN chose 6v if you so desire. 

Let me just point out that the 4985 has thermal problems even on conservative gearing (it needs a fan shroud) - you've geared the truck for 70mph. Sounds cool, but complete nonsense and will lead to the motor failing. This is way overgeared. 

9 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Same ESC as me, so you CAN chose 6v if you so desire. 

Let me just point out that the 4985 has thermal problems even on conservative gearing (it needs a fan shroud) - you've geared the truck for 70mph. Sounds cool, but complete nonsense and will lead to the motor failing. This is way overgeared. 

What gearing does it need then?this is my first brushless set up modelsport included the gearing for it .I'm new to brushless .if you have links to what I need I'd really appreciate the help

Edited by mickturnip
Forgot some words

6 minutes ago, mickturnip said:

What gearing does it need then?this is my first brushless set up modelsport included the gearing for it .I'm new to brushless .if you have links to what I need I'd really appreciate the help

Well, i'll be running it 18/50, people suggested to me to run it 17/50 if you don't want a fan. And that's on a motor that doesn't run as hot (4092/1650 Rocket). 

You can run slightly higher gearing if you're careful with the throttle and have a small cool down period after every push, but that didn't appeal to me at all. But either way, here's some information.

This is the thread about the 4985:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/heat-sink-fan-4985-advice-please.25027/#post-344778

This is a thread about gearing:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-exb-gearing-electrics-the-umpteenth-time.28588/

23 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Well, i'll be running it 18/50, people suggested to me to run it 17/50 if you don't want a fan. And that's on a motor that doesn't run as hot (4092/1650 Rocket). 

You can run slightly higher gearing if you're careful with the throttle and have a small cool down period after every push, but that didn't appeal to me at all. But either way, here's some information.

This is the thread about the 4985:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/heat-sink-fan-4985-advice-please.25027/#post-344778

This is a thread about gearing:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-exb-gearing-electrics-the-umpteenth-time.28588/

That really is some good info .do you know what fan is a direct fit ? I don't lol .will go for a 17tooth 

5 minutes ago, mickturnip said:

That really is some good info .do you know what fan is a direct fit ? I don't lol .will go for a 17tooth 

Well, there-in lies the problem. There's no real direct fit apart from, i've been told, the X-Maxx 8s shroud. Take that with a grain of salt, i have no personal experience in fitting that motor with a fan, and all solutions i've seen were either wonky, or nowhere in stock. The X-Maxx motor is indeed a 49mm can, so i'd assume it'll fit, but i won't make promises. 

That said: on 17t, you should be good without fan/shroud. That makes the truck (according to calculators) still good for 53.5mph, which i find reasonable to be entirely honest.

Edited by m4inbrain

1 minute ago, m4inbrain said:

Well, there-in lies the problem. There's no real direct fit apart from, i've been told, the X-Maxx 8s shroud. Take that with a grain of salt, i have no personal experience in fitting that motor with a fan, and all solutions i've seen were either wonky, or nowhere in stock. The X-Maxx motor is indeed a 49mm can, so i'd assume it'll fit, but i won't make promises. 

That said: on 17t, you should be good without fan/shroud. That makes the truck (according to calculators) still good for 53.5mph, which i find reasonable to be entirely honest.

That's fast enough for me lol .what's a good pinion gear then ? 

1 minute ago, mickturnip said:

That's fast enough for me lol .what's a good pinion gear then ? 

I ordered this one. 

https://www.rprcdistribution.com/product-page/tkr4177-m5-pinion-gear-17t-mod1-5mm-bo

Reason being, Tekno is well regarded in the RC world as high quality manufacturer, and their pinions come with an M5 grub screw (as opposed to the usual M3 that strips out pretty quickly), nice and chunky. 

3 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I ordered this one. 

https://www.rprcdistribution.com/product-page/tkr4177-m5-pinion-gear-17t-mod1-5mm-bo

Reason being, Tekno is well regarded in the RC world as high quality manufacturer, and their pinions come with an M5 grub screw (as opposed to the usual M3 that strips out pretty quickly), nice and chunky. 

Cheers fella .no doubt I will be in touch if n when it comes lol