• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Need advise to clear up Hobao Hyper 12 Nitro engine manuals confusion?

hicks451

Hi all,

I have just finished my Hobao Hyper 10 Touring car build and completed the Hyper 12 Nitro engine break in using the factory pre settings but now i am about to start the tune i am getting conflicted information from the manuals?

On the manual that came in the box it says i need to set the high speed needle 6x 1/4 so to me that means one and a half turns from closed but when i look at another manual it is saying three to three and a half turns from closed for the high speed needle and the bottom end needle needs to be flush with the ball collar but the ball collar i have doesn't adjust anything accept the ball collar itself so now i am not to sure what settings to start it off with to start the tune?

One and a half turns seems to lean for my likings and three to three and a half seems to rich so i am now hesitant to start the tune and was hoping i would be able to get some help and advise from members who might have some experience with Hobao engines?

I have left a link to one of the manuals as well as a picture to show my version of the Hyper 12 with no bottom end needle adjustment so that you can see the problems i am having with conflicted information from Hobao?

Hobao Hyper 12 manual link.

http://hobao-racing.com/en/images/pro_file/20160923135118@Hyper 12 Engine.pdf

Hobao Hyper 12 Model Sport link with picture of my version of the engine.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=29628

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by hicks451

No one has any experience with Hobao Hyper Engines enough to post some descent needle settings that might help?  I find that hard to believe so it must be oh a noob members noob question so we can't be bothered and  oh we have a tone of posts so find them yourself post?

I do not need help with tuning the engine as that isn't my concern only the conflicting manual information regarding the needle settings after engine break in from pre set factory settings as listed in the OP. 

But no probs I  will try on a couple of other forums and hope i get much better luck with them with a more friendly crowd who are willing to help even with a noob question that some might think are not worthy of the effort because it isn't a Mugen Seiki MTX7 with a Noverossie Mephisto.12 engine and only a old crap vintage Hobao Hyper 10 Touring car with a bog standard Hyper 12 Engine to get someone back in to the hobby again.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stormbringer,

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated and very grateful. I have been doing some digging regarding the Hobao Hyper 12 engine and it looks like my version came with a bog standard Carb which only has the highspeed needle to adjust and not a low end needle as shown on other versions or models so i am going to replace the carb with a much better quality one so i can set the needles to the recommended settings rather than the settings that i need to use with my version. I did what you said and set the high speed needle flush with the top and then leaned it out in 1/8th turns but even at  three turns it seems far to rich and just bogs down and cuts out when i add to the throttle so i have a feeling i need to lean it out even more and that means go below three turns and i do not want to have it to lean and damage the piston and sleeve so a new and better carb seems the way forward. Thanks again for your help and i will keep you posted once i have bought the better carb and installed it to start the fine tune again. Have a great weekend and all the best!!!

• 3 weeks later...