• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Total noob needs SCX10 help please

Frank_drebbin

Hi there,

I've wanted a scale crawler for years after basing about with a Twin Hammers I've done some mods too, and finally bit the bullet and ordered a load of bits.

I'm a tinkerer and always spend lots of money upgrading toys I get, so thought I'd save the trouble and get one of the Chinese carbon and aluminium SCX10 clones, after watching a few youtube videos.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000116670626.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.52a65fa9RieOXy&algo_pvid=d562f0b6-00f2-418a-bd41-18fc89e6f809&algo_expid=d562f0b6-00f2-418a-bd41-18fc89e6f809-2&btsid=0b0a0ac216003596015592968ef014&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I believe this chassis is a copy of the Mk I SCX10, with a slightly different layout. I'm looking to get all the bits I need, and have ordered a 35t brushed 540, a Hobbywing 1080, a 20kg steering servo, and already have the radio gear, wheels, and tyres.

Please can someone advise me on any other essential bits of kit, such as a servo chassis mount, I was thinking this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001043716489.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4762c1c4eWhJbt&algo_pvid=d9ee08c2-c554-40a6-9c55-9c50ee85b491&algo_expid=d9ee08c2-c554-40a6-9c55-9c50ee85b491-22&btsid=0b0a187b16003601786288456e47d6&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Is that the right part?

Also I think it is advised to do a panhard bar mod. I have seen a couple of kits for this, but don't want to spend too much, and would appreciate any advice on the best way to do this. I did see a cheap one that mounted on the pumpkin and requires a new steering rod, like this https://www.ebay.com/c/1051774747 is this any good? Thanks

Finally I need a body! I was thinking a Bronco body (I think it's team raffee) and is also compatible with the TRX4. I'd really like a land rover, but they all seem to be £100, whereas the bronco can be had for £45. Also considering a wrangler - but don't know what other options there are for sub £50 - but I'd like a hard body.

Thanks for any advice or tips :) Cheers.

Edited by Frank_drebbin

I'm no expert but I don't think you will be able to put a panhard bar on axles I don't think there is a connection point on axle!! If you really wanted a landrover shell you could go with the tamiya poly carbonate shell!! The bronco will work as it's a big shell the jeep may need some cutting to fit over the gear box though!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I've decided to leave the axle on the servo for now. I understand that all things being equal, an axle mount performs the same or better than chassis, but chassis is more authentic scale. The axle mount doesn't need a panhard so I won't bother at the moment.

I do love the look of the bronco, will have to do more research :)

Just choosing pinions now. I think the spur is 87t, so I think I will try a 20t spur on a 2s 35t motor. I hope that works.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Frank_drebbin said:

Thanks for the reply. I've decided to leave the axle on the servo for now. I understand that all things being equal, an axle mount performs the same or better than chassis, but chassis is more authentic scale. The axle mount doesn't need a panhard so I won't bother at the moment.

I do love the look of the bronco, will have to do more research :)

Just choosing pinions now. I think the spur is 87t, so I think I will try a 20t spur on a 2s 35t motor. I hope that works.

Thanks again.

In terms of crawling an axle mounted servo is better as the weight is low and the steering link is unaffected by the suspension. But yes, it does not look as scale.

On 2S a 20 is probs ok. I have a 17t/87 on the boys but run 3s and it is OK - if it were me I would speed it up, or more likely swap to the 32P 56t gear and then run probably a 14t on 2S ( which is the standard scx10ii setting...  But honestly, I'd just build it for now and try it buddy!!