• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX DR8 Desert BuggyThread

21 minutes ago, Microspeed said:

i'm going to tackle the DR8 tomorrow, I've just rebuilt the back half of a WLT124018, no instructions, that was fun, so now I'm having a cuppa and watching some TV,

Will update tomorrow.

Good job jobbed mate 👍

Yes let us know what you find I’m curious to what may of happened, hopefully an easy fix like a snapped drive pin .

57 minutes ago, Microspeed said:

Anyone know how the centre diff comes off the bracket?

You’ve probably sussed it by now but you need to take out the front diff mount and rear diff mount/motor mount 
then it will pull out but may be tight on the bearings.

C30092A7-D444-485E-89F9-A93A5FB1CA40.thumb.jpeg.d2ae85a12b260b19f6f1c9ad6126853c.jpeg

Edited by tomr

its all apart, the plastic bracket came straight off, the metal part is stuck, it moves but not out of the hole.

I have the exploded drawing and I can't see anything that holds it in place, so I assume it's full of crap!

will try clean and add more brute force!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Microspeed said:

its all apart, the plastic bracket came straight off, the metal part is stuck, it moves but not out of the hole.

I have the exploded drawing and I can't see anything that holds it in place, so I assume it's full of crap!

will try clean and add more brute force!

The bearing is a tight fit Some gentle taps with a hammer should knock it out 

ok, tap and it's free, so what is the common test to see if it's fubar?

and how do you pull out the cups?   anything to do with the grub screw?

On another subject, mods on order:

V100 = steel centre driveshaft 

Outlaw = new Ali arms, Ali front are rear arm brackets and front sway bar ( nephew had it for 30secs and ran into a tree!! )

A979B = new diffs and metal driveshaft

124018 = new rear oil shocks 

I quite fancy a full metal A979B on brushless, something me and my boy can build while we can’t go out bashing after school/work. Never ordered from banggood before, fingers crossed.

Edited by Microspeed

3 hours ago, Microspeed said:

image.jpg

Undo the 4 bolts that are holding the spur gear on and pull it off, no need to touch the grub screw.

You’re looking for any damage to the gears, drive pins or and diff case .

Edited by tomr

it's open, it feels rough when turned, cant't see any damage, no missing teeth, do I need to empty it out? what else to look for?

when i moved the car without power, the centre driveshaft span but it didn't spin the motor, hence why I am doing this 🙂 I figured it must be the diff.

and thanks very much for all your help!! much appeciated.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Microspeed said:

What do you think?  Pins feel aweful, can feel the ridges with my fingers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

They look fine buddy , remove the other larger gears (2) and check the pins. Gently pull them off with needle nose pliers.

Cleaned it all up. Fitted it back dry and it feels ok. I wonder if it was a bit loose in there?  The bolts to the spur weren’t tight really.

so now it’s out, should I lock it up?  

I have hot glue, earplugs or I’ll get some machine grease that’s as thick as you can imagine.

1 hour ago, martin34 said:

Have you checked to see if the bearing that was stuck isn't seized?

Do they just pull off?  I’d say one of them felt rough. Nothing inside looked off. No missing teeth etc

1 hour ago, Microspeed said:

Cleaned it all up. Fitted it back dry and it feels ok. I wonder if it was a bit loose in there?  The bolts to the spur weren’t tight really.

so now it’s out, should I lock it up?  

I have hot glue, earplugs or I’ll get some machine grease that’s as thick as you can imagine.

I’d go ear plugs if you want it locked or some super thick diff 500k of higher .

its possible that it was slightly loose, have a check on the grub screws on the front and rear diff as well .

1 hour ago, martin34 said:

The bearing that was hard to get out of the diff holder.Does the bearing spin freely?

seems too spin ok, the only way to feel the roughness is to grab both cups and spin it, then you can feel it's only smooth about 70% of a rotation.

I was on the beach, so maybe i should blast brake/carb clean ans see if that sorts it.

That looks like I need to take it totally apart to get to them, might be a weekend job, this week I'm feeling the back to work drag,  I had two weeks off at xmas and I think my body doesn't want to go back to the daily grind just yet!

I'm due the new diffs for the A979B, so I might do that later and save the big job on the DR8 for when I'm fully concentrating!

I've just digested what you said and that does make sense, could be the outers not feeding the centre, I may have had it the wrong way round or maybe I just hoped the easy one to get too was busted, I will find out and report back.

there was no loose oil in the centre diff at all, just a film on all the parts, so def not good, whacking the 15t pinion on must have just speeded up the damage / issue.

Edited by Microspeed

24 minutes ago, Microspeed said:

That looks like I need to take it totally apart to get to them, might be a weekend job, this week I'm feeling the back to work drag,  I had two weeks off at xmas and I think my body doesn't want to go back to the daily grind just yet!

I'm due the new diffs for the A979B, so I might do that later and save the big job on the DR8 for when I'm fully concentrating!

I've just digested what you said and that does make sense, could be the outers not feeding the centre, I may have had it the wrong way round or maybe I just hoped the easy one to get too was busted, I will find out and report back.

there was no loose oil in the centre diff at all, just a film on all the parts, so def not good, whacking the 15t pinion on must have just speeded up the damage / issue.

Sorry I was talking about the grub screws on the front and rear centre outputs 

1F70DCF4-620F-43C4-99DF-1B027EDE2E9D.thumb.jpeg.4caa79fe139fc99f88edcfe3b96e2cb1.jpeg

• Like 1