• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newby FPV quad build - component list

AuldWolf

Just new into the hobby, and planning my first FPV quad build. Actually a couple of components have arrived already. Here's what I've chosen (some comments etc. on why over here: https://www.thisoldhoose.com/?p=650 )

Part Choice Cost
Frame HSKRC TWE210 210mm £15.36
Motors Emax ECO Series 2306 4S 2400KV £34.01
Flight Controller Mamba F405 Mk2 £33.02
ESCs Mamba F40 40A 3-6S n/a
Props Cyclone T5046C 5046
and
Racerstar V2 5048
£4.96
&
£5.74
FPV Camera Caddx Ratel 1/1.8” Starlight HDR £22.47
Video Transmitter (VTX) Eachine TX5258 £12.19
VTX Antenna Foxeer 5.8G Lollipop 3 2.5DBi Omni £12.21
Receiver FrSky R-XSR £20.67
Batteries ???  

8 hours ago, gunja99 said:

Oooh considering similar. Will follow this thread closely. Very interested. What goggles you going for?

Yeah, I need to update the list with goggles, transmitter, battery charger (though I already had one).

I went for the Eachine EV100 - very cheap (£75 I think) and reasonable reviews. I was initially worried that they might not fit my face/eyes (slimmer face), but with the two types of adjustment (focus for each eye and left-right adjustment for each eye too) they look good. Only thing is, there's a sharp-ish edge resting on my nose - I'll need to add some foam there I think. Another plus for these (given the cost) is that it looks like you can solder in better receivers if you need to - e.g. fatshark receivers. Not planning to go down that route, but they seem serviceable at least, and possibly customisable.

Was looking at the EV800D, yeah you look sillier, but seems better than the EV100 for similar price and can make it a monitor in the future for "friends" etc to watch? I dunno. 

Might try FPV'ing me cars and get that equipment first, get a transmitter (I've decided on the TX16S) and use sims for a while, before getting a real drone (i have a few £20 ones acquired over the years).

Oh nice. Got me tx16s yesterday and trying it on Sims. Omg it's hard. In acro mode (as level mode is apparently not as fun...) Ouch.

Hoping to win an eBay auction for the ECv800d and a micro quad and then try inside first. Looking forward to first 5 inch build

2 minutes ago, gunja99 said:

Oh nice. Got me tx16s yesterday and trying it on Sims. Omg it's hard. In acro mode (as level mode is apparently not as fun...) Ouch.

Hoping to win an eBay auction for the ECv800d and a micro quad and then try inside first. Looking forward to first 5 inch build

Brilliant. I've been using the Taranis QX7 on a sim (Velocidrone) for a month or so now. It definitely starts to come together with practice. But it's slow. Loving the challenge though.

3 minutes ago, AuldWolf said:

Think I'll be mounting this way - can't really use the plastic stand-offs and keep those large purple rubber grommets in place. Think this should be ok... but honestly, I don't know.

stack1.jpeg

Can't help you there. But looking good

38 minutes ago, gunja99 said:

So it does come yeah? Tried air 2 and liftoff. Sooo tricky

Don't expect to get round a course and through gates or have it move the way you expect when you start. I found a few simple practises quite helpful.... like flying along a field, turning 180 and flying back again.

Turn in both directions to get used to both and try to also use the throttle to maintain constant height.

I also like flying round city streets just to get used to taking lots of right angle turns.

Cheers mate. Yeah been trying to fly straight in simulator. Gates are just... Hah. Do like liftoff more but next time try need to see if can turn down the sensitivity, assume you can do that IRL, I know the chepo drones I've had a few of have sensitivity settings. 

Not tried velocidrone yet might do.