• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Crawler's Not Crawling......

namastebuzz

My Maverick Scout had been sitting in the box for several weeks. I was considering selling it as it hasn't had much use because high speed bashing seems to be our "thing".

Anyway, powered it up and off she went. Running fine. Then, tried to take an obstacle. Nothing. Hard up against it. Wheels not turning. Repeated on several things it always got over easily.

Motor and gear turning fine. Driveshafts all attached and not loose (for once). If you press down on the vehicle the power is being fed into the diffs as the driveshafts are spinning but the wheels aren't turning.

So it's the diffs?

I've just serviced the diffs on 6S Kraton & Outcast plus rebuilt another E-Maxx diff (again). Do I really have to dig into these? What's gone wrong?

Sent from my MIX2 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, namastebuzz said:

My Maverick Scout had been sitting in the box for several weeks. I was considering selling it as it hasn't had much use because high speed bashing seems to be our "thing".

Anyway, powered it up and off she went. Running fine. Then, tried to take an obstacle. Nothing. Hard up against it. Wheels not turning. Repeated on several things it always got over easily.

Motor and gear turning fine. Driveshafts all attached and not loose (for once). If you press down on the vehicle the power is being fed into the diffs as the driveshafts are spinning but the wheels aren't turning.

So it's the diffs?

I've just serviced the diffs on 6S Kraton & Outcast plus rebuilt another E-Maxx diff (again). Do I really have to dig into these? What's gone wrong?

If you've drive into the diff and nowt coming out the other end I'd suggest opening up the diff and taking a look!

Can you move the opposite wheel when turning one in hand?

Working on a locked diff is going to be way easier than your other rigs!

I was like.... "Buzz has finally got a crawler cool"...... Hehe...

If you 've got drive to both diffs and no output id say that sounds a bit voodoo!! There may be a ridiculously small chance you've lunched one, but two at the same time nope!.. 

If it were me I'd start by holding down the wheels and seeing if there's any resistance, then holding the driveshafts etc... Seems a bit odd....

Hey Stimpy. Yeah there is drive to all wheels but as soon as there's any resistance they stop. Weird that it worked OK before putting it away and now both diffs are doing the same.

When I turn a wheel manually, the opposite wheel turns the same way for maybe an eighth of a turn then both wheels kinda clunk to a halt. Then the wheel I'm turning carries on turning but slipping rather than driving.

TBH I haven't really tried looking at it all too hard. Just being lazy, trying to get others to diagnose it instead of doing the work myself.

I'll get the tools out and report back next week.

10 hours ago, namastebuzz said:

Hey Stimpy. Yeah there is drive to all wheels but as soon as there's any resistance they stop. Weird that it worked OK before putting it away and now both diffs are doing the same.

When I turn a wheel manually, the opposite wheel turns the same way for maybe an eighth of a turn then both wheels kinda clunk to a halt. Then the wheel I'm turning carries on turning but slipping rather than driving.

I think by how you're describing that it would point to a diff locker failure, but as @stimpy rightly pointed out, for both to go pear shaped at the same time is a real head scratcher! Cheap, quick and easy fix if it is that.

On 20/08/2020 at 22:26, namastebuzz said:

TBH I haven't really tried looking at it all too hard. Just being lazy, trying to get others to diagnose it instead of doing the work myself.

I'll get the tools out and report back next week.

You lazy poop! 🤣

Honestly though I don't know much about the maverick at all. Just odd both would go. Unless they are set up open at the mo and the grease / oil has gone funky... All a bit odd.. But if both driveshafts are turning and the wheels aint... then theres definitely something going on in that diff!!👍

Sadly, it looks like you'll have to open her up!..

Yeah I'm away at the moment. A few days hiking in Callander.

I'll tear into it when I get back.

(PS if anyone sees a Scout for sale on eBay shortly - don't buy it!)

Lucky bugger hiking!

I was just pondering your dilemma last night.... And the only thing that would magically all of a sudden readily easily cause this issue could be no pins in the driveshafts to the axle.... I assume you didn't start stripping it last time you had it out??... And forgive me if it sounds obvious!!