• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Schumacher CAT XLS Masami Motor recommendation

ml_b

Hello

I've just ordered a CAT XLS and super excited about the build challange and getting it up and running.

I'm used to Tamiya cars so have a few brushed 540 moters like the sports tuned & super stock bz but was wondering what would make a good option for a CAT XLS?

I want to stay brushed for the time being and will use the car for mostly off road bashing/messing - nothing too serious - hopefully less bashing! 

Does anyone have any recommendations on a brushed motor + esc?

Wondering about a Kyosho Motor Le Mans 490 Brush 30T Legendary series (If I can get one)?

Or should I just pop one of the Tamiya motors in?

Thanks!

Matt

Whatever takes your fancy based on budget I guess, the only proviso being that I believe Schumacher advise to stay over 17 or 19T, can't remember which off the top of my head, if running the standard tranny, can obviously go lower (faster) with the upgrade tranny but thats about 100 quid...

Sports tuned is ok for not a lot of money and easily available in UK, BZ obviously a bit pokier even though still 23T.  You can get 490's from RCMart at present for 38 USD + shipping.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Slightly OT (sorry), but how did you get on with the build @ml_b? I've just started mine. Having built a similar model 25+years ago, I'm fairing ok. Not in any rush so I'm doing a bit here and a bit there. 

I started a thread on here about the design of the battery clamp. Seems hard / almost impossible to be able to swap the battery over because is screws from underneath. How have you dealt with it?

Hi

I was in a similiar boat, had a couple of Tamiya's 25 years ago and recently built a lunchbox & hornet with the kids but wanted something with a bit more oomph! Actually wanted an Optima but they were out of stock.

It took me about 4-5 weeks to build over lockdown - wasn't in a rush so tinkered when I had a spare hour or two.

With regards to the battery clamp - I drilled a couple of holes in the underside polyshell to be able to access the screws  - this seems to work well. I initially bought a 5300mAh NiMh battery but that was two wide for the shell so had to go down to a 3300mAh NiMh battery.

I found the build challanging but not impossible. I found the painting to be the hardest and have made a right mess of trying to get the Masami red/yellow/black colours nice and crisp. Spent ages with the masking tape but the paint leaked under the tape in a number of places. Have ordered another shell and will just paint it black all over! Also - my son smashed his car into my Cat on the second outing and so the paint work looks even worse!

The ball joints were tricky but I found a technique for that.

The suspension was also time consuming - I had to order some pincers to apply the rings. Also some of the metal washers need to be placed a certain way up - with my eyes and a magnifying glass I still couldn't tell which side up they should go! The suspension is still a bit funny - the car seems lower than it should be.

The diff was also an eye opener. When I first fired it up, only the rear wheels rotated so I needed to tighten the diff up considerably.

I put a Core 15T motor in and now it's up and running it is an absolute joy to drive - much faster than the tamiya cars we already had and handles superbly.

After a couple of outings it's started to make a bit of noise that don't sound right so I think a few bits are loosening so I need to give it a once over again.

Enjoy your build!

I totally feel your pain with regards to painting this evening. Today, I thought I'd get the body painted as I wanted to paint the undertray so it made sense to do it all together. Got a little station set up in the garage with the compressor, hot air gun and airbrush. The airbrush didn't work. Took it apart. Then the hose blew off. Then no paint would come out. Took it apart again. Then the hose come off.  I have up and I now have a half painted undertray. 

Think I'll just get an aerosol next time. 😜

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/05/2020 at 12:29, bertberr said:

Whatever takes your fancy based on budget I guess, the only proviso being that I believe Schumacher advise to stay over 17 or 19T, can't remember which off the top of my head, if running the standard tranny, can obviously go lower (faster) with the upgrade tranny but thats about 100 quid...

Sports tuned is ok for not a lot of money and easily available in UK, BZ obviously a bit pokier even though still 23T.  You can get 490's from RCMart at present for 38 USD + shipping.

Try and get the upgraded tranny. I know it's expensive but boy does it make a difference.  I have a 10.5 sensorless brushless in mine and it is fantastic.  This car is seriously good with zero flaws.  It's tough, light, fast and goes exactly where you point it.  One of the best cars I have ever driven.

On 21/05/2020 at 12:29, bertberr said:

Try and get the upgraded tranny. I know it's expensive but boy does it make a difference.  I have a 10.5 sensorless brushless in mine and it is fantastic.  This car is seriously good with zero flaws.  It's tough, light, fast and goes exactly where you point it.  One of the best cars I have ever driven.

3 minutes ago, Slimleeroy said:

Edited by Slimleeroy

5 minutes ago, bertberr said:

I've heard its very good...once its built!  How did you find the build on yours?

I had heard lots of horror stories online regarding the build and as a mainly tamiya builder I was a bit apprehensive.  However the build was absolutely fantastic and so much different from tamiya/kyoshos.  One of my favourite this side of the avante.  What I would advise is that if you are going to get the upgraded tranny get it before you build the car as it is nearly a full strip down to back fit it once built. I would recommend it though and although costly, you do get quite a bit for your money.  I must say the top cat classics are awesome aswell.  Enjoy

Yeah apparently the build manual is a bit back to front... and if you do what looks logical as opposed to what the manual tells you to do, its not too bad.

I have been looking at them for a while now, but since I'm probably about to be made redundant I feel I ought to hold fire for a while, see how things pan out.  And, anyway, I'm busy at the moment with an Optima Mid restoration, so will look to get something sorted once my job situation is more secure.  Before Covid struck, I was either going to go with a ReRe Javelin or the Cat XLS. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/08/2020 at 11:07, bertberr said:

Yeah apparently the build manual is a bit back to front... and if you do what looks logical as opposed to what the manual tells you to do, its not too bad.

I have been looking at them for a while now, but since I'm probably about to be made redundant I feel I ought to hold fire for a while, see how things pan out.  And, anyway, I'm busy at the moment with an Optima Mid restoration, so will look to get something sorted once my job situation is more secure.  Before Covid struck, I was either going to go with a ReRe Javelin or the Cat XLS. 

Cat every time

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, corvetteboy6988 said:

Where did you order your CAT XLS from back in May, I cant seem to find any left for sale?  Thanks

They've been discontinued by Schumacher just before Christmas which has caused a buying frenzy, most places have sold out sadly