• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project stretch

After a fairly long break from truck building I have decided it time to try a project I've been thinking about for a while. Some of you may remember my Blue Scania build, well it has sat on the shelf gathering dust because I just don't think it's 100% right. 

spacer.png

So I started with this and ended up with this

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have big plans including longer chassis rails, extra axle, lots of custom work and the ever faithful Bruder trailer but used in slightly different way. 

This will be a slow burn build. I was intending to do it over this coming winter but I needed a stress relief from work. Parts are slow to arrive too so most bits are coming from my stash. 

I started with a set of KK truck store rails, these are stainless and are nice enough if a little off in some drillings. 

spacer.png

Built up using Tamiya Cross members. 

spacer.png

2nd steer linkage fitted, fits up nicely to the chassis but needs a little tidy up to get it to function smoothly. 

Bit more done over the last couple of days. 

spacer.png

First axle is mounted up. Took a fair bit of fiddling to make it all work. It is rather disappointing that the rails and steering parts listed as tamiya compatible are far from it. The front suspension mount fouls the steering. Bit of 3d printing saved the day. 

spacer.png

Might need a bigger temporary home for it. 

spacer.png

2nd axle fitting was a repeat of the first. Apart from the fact the 2nd axle is in backwards I'm fairly pleased. Gearbox is offered in to check for clearance.

spacer.png

Drive axles fitted today. 

spacer.png

Built up and fitted a centre cross member complete with prop centre bearing. Took a bit of tweaking but got it to sit central. 

spacer.png

Then to cut the new shafts. These are extra speed shafts and to say how cheap they are they are very well built and incredibly strong. 

spacer.png

Here you can just see the shafts fitted. I will get some better pictures when I can but time ran out today. 

Edited by spannermonkey

• 4 weeks later...

More progress

spacer.png

Having not been impressed with some of the parts I purchased I decided to 3d print my own servo mount. 2nd print and it was spot on. 

spacer.png

Cab is now mounted as is the gearbox, gearbox still needs it higher turn motor fitting but lots more mock up to come first.  Rear wings are sat there as an option but don't think I'm using those. 

spacer.png

Made a start on the body using the good old Bruder as a base. Need to extend the drop and make some serious changes once I get a few materials together. 

• Like 1