• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TL01 motor options - some advice needed

NitroTinckerer

I have been in the process of updating my old TL01 for the past year now and am looking for some advice on the potential motor options available.

Currently it has a TBLE-02 s ESC and Tamiya sport tuned motor. The performance of this motor left me a bit underwhelmed so would like better performance. The car is only used for bashing.

The car has full metal bearings, speed tuned gears and oil shocks as well as some other minor upgrades.

I have done a bit of research but I am not sure whether to go down the brushless motor route or buy a better brushed motor. I have set aside about £100.

I see my options as being either:

1)  buy a better motor (brushless or brushed) for the TBLE-02s

Or 

2) buy a new esc and brushless motor combo (Etronix Photon or Hobbywing XERUN). I have read a 13.5t should be suitable.

Just looking for any recommendations, open to suggestions as well.

Also, on a side note is it worthwhile running a brushless motor on a Ni-MH battery or would i need to get a Lipo battery and charger?

Don't want to buy a brushless motor to only have marginal gains over my current set up using a Ni-MH.

Cheers.