• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Arrma Kraton V3 Thread

Paul Busby

Hi Guys,

I'm reasonably new to the hobby, just with a couple of Mackerick RTRs and after pulling them apart and repairing them, doing a few upgrades, I'm now feeling like I want to build from scratch.

As I'll probably only ever be a hobbyist, unlikely to do anything competitive, I have been looking at monster trucks for stunts and bashing. Something similar to the Maverick MT in style, form factor, and size, but a bit higher end.

Is this a good direction to go in, or am I better with a different brand of kit?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=439067&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoebsBRCHARIsAC3JP0IlX-dplI8SfPvytYlFFcHkq1lVDRqPQ-9Tsf67cNPco7ZUc01oi0EaAh-eEALw_wcB

Lot of Tamiya ones around but I'm not sure how they compare in terms of modern RC trucks, as a lot of them seem to have been around a while.

Any other solid recommendations for kits? Is it sensible to build an RC fromt he ground up with the parts or does that make no financial sense?

I'm quite happy to go bigger, and more expensive (within a sensible reason), just want to make sure I buy the right starting point for a brushless RC car that will take a beating and have parts available for a long time.

Edited by Paul Busby
Editted the title for a second time to reflect the purpose of the thread

As a base its awesome you can do so much with them that's the beauty of the traxxas 1/10 stuff 4x4 especially. They are just so popular they have endless options compared to most rcs around. Parts supply is probably going to be endless too. They are YouTube stars. 

We all start watching YouTube wanting that kinda action then buy something cheaper and think damn it's not that. The traxxas stuff is though. If you build on that base lol. Endless upgrades but put the money where it counts first. 

Thrash it and replace the broken parts with the best part the budget allows. 

This kit version isnt a full fat stampede 4x4 vxl spec I cant remember which parts are downgraded slightly it's not much I dont think. Be sure to read up on what's different. It has non adjustable links I can see that but tbh some people prefer preset links and is a very easy upgrade either way. Idk if the centre drive shaft is plastic it looks blue so mayb not. 

For £200 you might find a tidy used vxl RTR around the used market mayb with afew upgrades already fitted. Theres so many around they are always up for sale. 

But if new is a must just read up on the parts that are different to the vxl. Research the elecs you would install etc price it up. It can be a long term project building it up to be a beast of an rc. Without worry parts supply will dry up in a year or two. Although we might see a new model replacing the 1/10 line up soon. It shouldn't really matter for a long time. 

A £30 goolrc brushless combo is a great choice for 2s lipo running my daughters truck uses one and it goes great with my over powered beast slash 4x4. It's as good as the standard vxl combo at the least. 

Also I think this might have been sold as a traxxas stampede 4x4 xl5 truck too. So ide be sure its brushless ready I think it is though. But as said any part needed can be found easily and cheaply looking around. Rpm plastic parts from rcmart can be better value than traxxas standard plastic parts. Ebay is littered with standard parts people removed for upgrades. It's easy mode in rc. Infinite information all over the net from having so many users now and over the last decade mayb. 

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

Theres not many bashers I could have made as girly as this my daughter loves it. After she had a ecx which was horrible in every way except impact strength which it needed with its horrible steering weak drive line and bland looks. Nevermind clear bodies costing more than proline so std. Traxxas you can do whatever you like.

vgWD1zj.jpg

M0Pw3F1.jpg

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

I definitely want to go the direction of a Kit, which is why I wouldn't look at second hand..

Looks like there will be a bit of investigation necessary into finding out all the difference's between the kit, the XL-5 and the VXL. Im thinking that if I buy all the aftermarket parts I want, I can just sell the original parts unused and make back a few quid. Adjustable links should be pretty cheap, so I will certainly get those from the get-go.

I've bought a Brushed GoolRC for my Strada as a straight swap for the stock motor as it was dirt cheap and I dont have to change the ESC, still waiting on that to arrive.

Are the GoolRC kits really the way to go if I'm trying to build a brushed "mid-range" basher from scratch?

I see mixed responses when reading about them in other threads. I'm not opposed to investing in a solid set of electronics from the get go, but if the GoolRC stuff is 90+% as good and reliable, then perhaps I can save money?

If buying a more "known" hobby western brand will get me guaranteed performance or reliability improvements, then I would be willing to put in the extra money (assuming we're not talking £200-300 to get those improvements, ofc).

I guess one thing I could buy now, and test out with my Strada would be the Radio handset, as long as I get a 2.4 unit, it should be "pair-able" right?

Edited by Paul Busby

After a chat with the online tool on the Traxxas site, the rep said the only difference is "chamber links". From looking through the specs myself, it seems that way to me also. The only other thing I spotted are the wheels/tyres, but again I would probably look for an upgrade to even the VXL ones anyway.

My finger is now getting itchy 😁

3 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

After a chat with the online tool on the Traxxas site, the rep said the only difference is "chamber links". From looking through the specs myself, it seems that way to me also. The only other thing I spotted are the wheels/tyres, but again I would probably look for an upgrade to even the VXL ones anyway.

My finger is now getting itchy 😁

Might as well go for it. Its not the best truck, but you don't have much choice for kits these days. Goolrc electronics should be fine as long as the gearing is correct. 

1 hour ago, Paul Busby said:

I almost forgot to mention, you would need a 5mm shaft pinion gear to use a 3660

Edited by Jumper

5 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

Out of interest, if I decided not to go for a kit and would go to an ARTR, what brands/models should be catching my eye?

Anything in 1:8 that is worth the extra cash?

well its all subjective so its very hard to say, personally i have the tekno MT410 which is really nice, but expensive to get running as it need everything. The proline pro mt 4x4 would be a decent mid way point. it comes with a shell and proper wheels/tyres, but you can choose all you own electronics. Because it so well made, you can also run bigger motors and esc in the future if you wanted too.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Jumper said:

well its all subjective so its very hard to say, personally i have the tekno MT410 which is really nice, but expensive to get running as it need everything. The proline pro mt 4x4 would be a decent mid way point. it comes with a shell and proper wheels/tyres, but you can choose all you own electronics. Because it so well made, you can also run bigger motors and esc in the future if you wanted too.

This one: https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/305253/

Looks like you get value out of the extra cash. Can run 4S...

I don't see the Tekno in the typical UK distributors. I guess it's more of a USA thing? Do they get sold under a different name in the UK perhaps?

Edited by Paul Busby

24 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

This one: https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/305253/

Looks like you get value out of the extra cash. Can run 4S...

I don't see the Tekno in the typical UK distributors. I guess it's more of a USA thing? Do they get sold under a different name in the UK perhaps?

Looks like the proline is out of stock atm most places :( 

edit: for one in stock :P

http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=30148&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8huTgMxRfGk7c2YCWgAYm8DRAVEr3iTv26aN2sObf7H8isyKAYYPaBoC5p8QAvD_BwE

There are a couple of place to buy the Mt410 in the uk, but they arent imported in great numbers. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tekno-RC-TKR5603-MT410-1-10th-Electric-4-4-Pro-Monster-Truck-Kit/133113814518?epid=0&hash=item1efe339df6:g:42cAAOSwBRdcf7bm

https://www.rprcdistribution.com/product-page/mt410-1-10th-electric-4-4-pro-monster-truck-kit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tekno-rc-MT410-roller-RELISTED/183986365381?hash=item2ad67123c5:g:gmoAAOSw7ytdbmgv

Edited by Jumper

I don't live too far from Leeds either.... But for quite a bit else to research first. I can wait for stock in other places too and I'm quite enjoying experimenting with my Strada, even if I am spunking far too much money on a throwaway RC car.

Watched a few videos on the PRO-MT and it really does look the absolute DogBs.

Wondering if going straight in with a beefy 1:8 motor and 4S might be just pushing me beyond my current ability, or a reasonably sensible financial choice in the long run.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

I don't live too far from Leeds either.... But for quite a bit else to research first. I can wait for stock in other places too and I'm quite enjoying experimenting with my Strada, even if I am spunking far too much money on a throwaway RC car.

Watched a few videos on the PRO-MT and it really does look the absolute DogBs.

Wondering if going straight in with a beefy 1:8 motor and 4S might be just pushing me beyond my current ability, or a reasonably sensible financial choice in the long run.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

maybe start with a mild 1/8th system like a 120a esc with a 3670 2850kv size motor or 4068 2650kv. on a fully sized 4074 or 4076 with a 150a esc and 4-6s it would be a little crazy :D 

You can always run on 3s  at first then go to 4s later. they arent without there flaws as well once you start to put some serious power through them. they are very overbuilt 1/10th, but maybe not quite upto fully truggy grade 1/8th systems. 

Also if you are going to run 4s right away, you could rebuild the truck with decent oils in the diffs and make sure everything has been put together properly :P 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jumper said:

maybe start with a mild 1/8th system like a 120a esc with a 3670 2850kv size motor or 4068 2650kv. on a fully sized 4074 or 4076 with a 150a esc and 4-6s it would be a little crazy :D

I feel like you're specifically referring to this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoolRC-S3670-2850KV-Brushless-Motor-120A-ESC-Program-Card-Combo-for-1-8-RC-Car/392327000348?hash=item5b5882f11c:g:pHAAAOSwffBdHFGV

Couldn't see much on wheelspin that matched those specs from more "reputable" brands. Perhaps the GoolRC motor is better paired with a "reputable" ESC?

You can always run on 3s  at first then go to 4s later.

I think that might be sensible. My Strada can actually run 3S also, so if I was to upgrade it wouldn't necessarily be a waste.

They arent without there flaws as well once you start to put some serious power through them. they are very overbuilt 1/10th, but maybe not quite upto fully truggy grade 1/8th systems.

I might regret asking... but... you mean like this:

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/301666/

Also if you are going to run 4s right away, you could rebuild the truck with decent oils in the diffs and make sure everything has been put together properly :P 

I have already learned the hard way about taking everything out, dabbing it with loctite and putting it back together. Lost a bunch of screws on my first few runs with the strada.

I probably will stick with a 3S to start, but in terms of diff oil, a guy in the video suggested 1mil weight, would you concur with that?

Lot of different discussions about which oil to use so will probably have to do some reading.

17 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

I feel like you're specifically referring to this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoolRC-S3670-2850KV-Brushless-Motor-120A-ESC-Program-Card-Combo-for-1-8-RC-Car/392327000348?hash=item5b5882f11c:g:pHAAAOSwffBdHFGV

Couldn't see much on wheelspin that matched those specs from more "reputable" brands. Perhaps the GoolRC motor is better paired with a "reputable" ESC?

I think that might be sensible. My Strada can actually run 3S also, so if I was to upgrade it wouldn't necessarily be a waste.

I might regret asking... but... you mean like this:

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/301666/

I have already learned the hard way about taking everything out, dabbing it with loctite and putting it back together. Lost a bunch of screws on my first few runs with the strada.

I probably will stick with a 3S to start, but in terms of diff oil, a guy in the video suggested 1mil weight, would you concur with that?

Lot of different discussions about which oil to use so will probably have to do some reading.

Yes i was referring to that motor. As for ESC i'm not sure, i have had even the better brands blow up a couple of times, whereas the cheaper brands have been ok. I think if you get a 6S capable esc that is 120a/150a even from the cheaper brands it should be fine with 4s. 

That RC8te is not the strongest truggy ever tbh, has plastic braces. something like the hyper ST pro or a tekno. tbf the hyper st is pretty good value and strong, but it needs converting to electric as its a nitro kit. 

Perhaps I just need to decide on a budget and figure out what the very best 1:8 or 1:10 basher is for that budget, as I feel like these shiny things could easily smash through my original scope into something completely different and crazy expensive. Lets just say I would rather the initial outlay including the chassis, necessary upgrades/parts, electrics, radio be less than £500, but can be convinced to go a bit over that if it makes sense in the long run.

Im definitely looking at something with big wheels, tough suspension and reasonable ground clearance to use off road and do jumps with, so truck or truggy probably the best way to go (correct me if I'm wrong)

After some thinking, I will just throw out the "kit only" requirement but put a strong preference on ARTR or Kits.

How I'm feeling right now:

• The Traxxas kit seems like the upper end of cheap kits/trucks, but is very well supported in the aftermarket so has a bit of room to improve upon the existing frame and plenty of customisation options, but may require more initial improvement upon purchase to really get what I want. There is very limited capacity in terms of starting with a low power motor and growing to something with more oomph.
  • The Pro-Line is perhaps more expensive than I intended, but fits the bill well in terms of capability and flexibility, plus has some room for growth as my comfort/skill increases but isn't all that suited to the very top end of it's supported motor configurations.
  • Looking at the 1:8 kits that are around a similar price would probably result in overall lower quality compared to the higher end 1:10, and would likely end up costing a lot more to not only maintain, but to just get them where I want them with the electronics and basic upgrades.

Is my thinking about right here?

(Also thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it, just tell me if I'm being basically lazy and feel free to throw reading material at me)

Edited by Paul Busby

1 hour ago, Paul Busby said:

Perhaps I just need to decide on a budget and figure out what the very best 1:8 or 1:10 basher is for that budget, as I feel like these shiny things could easily smash through my original scope into something completely different and crazy expensive. Lets just say I would rather the initial outlay including the chassis, necessary upgrades/parts, electrics, radio be less than £500, but can be convinced to go a bit over that if it makes sense in the long run.

Im definitely looking at something with big wheels, tough suspension and reasonable ground clearance to use off road and do jumps with, so truck or truggy probably the best way to go (correct me if I'm wrong)

After some thinking, I will just throw out the "kit only" requirement but put a strong preference on ARTR or Kits.

How I'm feeling right now:

• The Traxxas kit seems like the upper end of cheap kits/trucks, but is very well supported in the aftermarket so has a bit of room to improve upon the existing frame and plenty of customisation options, but may require more initial improvement upon purchase to really get what I want. There is very limited capacity in terms of starting with a low power motor and growing to something with more oomph.
  • The Pro-Line is perhaps more expensive than I intended, but fits the bill well in terms of capability and flexibility, plus has some room for growth as my comfort/skill increases but isn't all that suited to the very top end of it's supported motor configurations.
  • Looking at the 1:8 kits that are around a similar price would probably result in overall lower quality compared to the higher end 1:10, and would likely end up costing a lot more to not only maintain, but to just get them where I want them with the electronics and basic upgrades.

Is my thinking about right here?

(Also thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it, just tell me if I'm being basically lazy and feel free to throw reading material at me)

I think the stampede in the long run will end up costing as much as if not more than the proline. You may well outgrow it as well and end up having to go to an entire new platform. 

I also think a 1/8th truck is going to go over as they often end up running £700-1000 once you have bought wheels, tyres, electronics, you will be uld also be looking at 4-6s which means higher battery costs, you will want a better charger or it will take longer to charge. Also the parts are sometimes more expensive although the pro Mt parts aren't exactly cheap for 1/10th.

I think the proline is a good place to start as you should be able to get it running on a decent power system on 3s within you budget. 

• Thanks 1

Looking around at the electronics, I'm pretty sure Im going to blast past my budget.... oh well. I think i will go with the lowest end option you already suggested as its pretty freaking cheap compared to the "reputable" brands.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4068-2650KV-Sensorless-Brushless-Motor-4Pole-150A-ESC-for-1-8-RC-Buggy-Truck/123724115851?hash=item1cce882f8b:g:j6MAAOSwmphcpewQ

Reading some of the other threads about this MT, looks like between 15-20KG is the requirement for the servo, does that sound about right?

Is something like this over/underkill: https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/17098/

Edited by Paul Busby

3 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

Looking around at the electronics, I'm pretty sure Im going to blast past my budget.... oh well. I think i will go with the lowest end option you already suggested as its pretty freaking cheap compared to the "reputable" brands.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4068-2650KV-Sensorless-Brushless-Motor-4Pole-150A-ESC-for-1-8-RC-Buggy-Truck/123724115851?hash=item1cce882f8b:g:j6MAAOSwmphcpewQ

Reading some of the other threads about this MT, looks like between 15-20KG is the requirement for the servo, does that sound about right?

Is something like this over/underkill: https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/17098/

You that esc and motor combo will be great, i havent had a surpass esc, but i have used 2 of there motors for ages now and they are running great. 

Lots of people run savox servos and i have 2 myself, but tbh i got one of these birdbird servos in my smt10 and its on a different level. The price to performance is great. tbh i would go with this one for a 1/10 truck

http://www.rcmart.com/blue-bird-cg1025wp-waterproof-hight-voltage-coreless-digital-servo-p-83750.html?cPath=1099_1030

I have this one, but tbh the internal bec can struggle to turn it at full speed sometimes, i can hear the esc fan speed drop, but it is seriously fast and strong, but probably overkill for 1/10

http://www.rcmart.com/blue-bird-bls2905-aluminum-titanium-gears-high-voltage-digital-brushless-p-71942.html?cPath=1099_1030

The JX servos and power HD are also good for torque and great value at the lower end if you dont mind a bit lower speed. I have had a power HD  in my hyper st for 4 years and it has been fine. 

• Thanks 1

Just a quick check... those servos state the operating voltage as 2s LiPo, am I missing something with my understanding here as I’ll likely be running a 3s?

Does the ESC also rectify the volts for the Servo?

8 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

Just a quick check... those servos state the operating voltage as 2s LiPo, am I missing something with my understanding here as I’ll likely be running a 3s?

Does the ESC also rectify the volts for the Servo?

Yes the ESC has and internal BEC which can be set to 6-7.4v which is used to power the receiver and the servo. so you can run 6s on the esc, but the bec will still put out 6-7.4v 

Edited by Jumper
  • Thanks 1

At least I feel a bit like I'm learning.

Have to say, the spares situation for the Proline looks a bit bleak at the moment. Most places don't seem to have any stock at all... Is this going to be a situation where I always have to import the parts or are we just in a bit of a shortage at the moment for some reason?

Ordered the first blue bird servo you suggested.