• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Any info out there about rewinding mass produced 540 motors?

Tommygunn

I've recently installed both a 27T and a 55T motor in my scale crawler, the result being one is too fast and the other is too slow. Therefore, instead of messing about, and also because I like to mess about, I was wondering if there was any info out there about rewinding factory produced 540 brushed motors.

I want to experiment with that mid-point at around 35-45 turns so are there any guides about wire selection, winding methods etc?

Cheers,
Tom.

Edited by Tommygunn

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/3160-winding-motor.html (John of Holmeshobbies explaining how to do it - and he must know, producing some of the best crawler motors out there)

I don't see entirely why you shouldn't be able to re-wind mass produced motors, all the necessary parts are in there. That said, i can see where you're coming from, i enjoy "taking things apart" as well - it's probably cheaper (time is money too) to just get another cheap brushed motor, and do the two you have as "learning experience". If they turn out well, you have two spares as well.

That's just my thought there.

edit: of course, you could just use the 55t/35t and fix the gearing, that'd be another option. :D

Edited by m4inbrain

Thanks for the link.

I've just stripped one of my motors and the winding process, from one rotor stack to the next, looks relatively simple, certainly when compared to when I gave brushless re-winding a go.

I'll probably ask in the link, but do you know of any data(table) for the appropriate wire gauge for a particular wind count?

Cheers,

Tom.

Sorry, no idea in that regard. It gets complicated pretty quickly from what i can tell, since wire gauge/count/method not just determine torque/rpm but also heat and amp draw amongst other things - that's the point where i have to throw my arms in the air. 

• 3 weeks later...

Gave it a crack last night, stripped my 55T motor and wound on 41 turns of new wire. The wires always start off neat but get crowded and a bit messy towards the end. Some superglue to secure the windings and it works.

I had previously measured the rpm of my 27T and the 55T, as it was, both with timing optimised to my liking.

27T = 12,820rpm @ 5V

55T = 5484rpm @ 5V

41T = 8070rpm @ 5V (theoretical 9152rpm)

Not bad for a first time!

Tom.

P1170324-30-cut.jpg

P1170325-30-cut.jpg

Edited by Tommygunn