• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Doug`s HPI Kraken SX5

Dougstar

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful build mate. Have to say I've had nothing but bad luck with my build, so many complications but it's starting to come along. Thing is I just managed to order a Kraken SX5 cage off aliexpress, only issue is it doesn't come with the mounting hardware like the front skid plate or bunper, I tgought this wouldn't be an issue as hpi sell a mounting kit and thought I can buy the body seperately... Well guess what no one has stock of any replacement parts anywhere in the world so I thought I would message Kraken asking about spare parts only for them to tell me this kit is discontinued and if I wanted the bit buy a new kit as ddm still has the full kit in stock. Bare in mind they weren't aware where I got the cage from, as far as they were concerned I needed a new bumper and maybe some body panels. Absolutlely disgusting level of after sales support if you ask me, to suddenly cease production after they have also collaborated with hpi to use these conversions on their rtr's and then to cease producing spare parts immedietly given how much these conversion kits cost. I certainly won't be buying any Kraken vehicles knowing they operate like that.. such a shame as their rollcage conversions are beautiful and was really looking forward to building my own SX5...

1 hour ago, Danzzz88 said:

Beautiful build mate. Have to say I've had nothing but bad luck with my build, so many complications but it's starting to come along. Thing is I just managed to order a Kraken SX5 cage off aliexpress, only issue is it doesn't come with the mounting hardware like the front skid plate or bunper, I tgought this wouldn't be an issue as hpi sell a mounting kit and thought I can buy the body seperately... Well guess what no one has stock of any replacement parts anywhere in the world so I thought I would message Kraken asking about spare parts only for them to tell me this kit is discontinued and if I wanted the bit buy a new kit as ddm still has the full kit in stock. Bare in mind they weren't aware where I got the cage from, as far as they were concerned I needed a new bumper and maybe some body panels. Absolutlely disgusting level of after sales support if you ask me, to suddenly cease production after they have also collaborated with hpi to use these conversions on their rtr's and then to cease producing spare parts immedietly given how much these conversion kits cost. I certainly won't be buying any Kraken vehicles knowing they operate like that.. such a shame as their rollcage conversions are beautiful and was really looking forward to building my own SX5...

Thanx m8👍 sorry to hear you are having a bit lof bad luck.........i dont like susupporting clones/copies coz it puts the real creator's and developers out of business.......kinda what has/is happening to HPI Racing👎

Very sad to hear the sx5 is out of production 😔 maybe you should grab a copy from DDM  before its too late👍

Hi mate, not too sure it's a clone as such, believe the factory that produces them for Kraken must be selling the cages aswell but without the extra bits, still a bit naughty I know, but it was pay either £130 for that then buy the other bits seperate or pay 450 dollars before customs and tax to import one from DDM. Far too much considering I'm yet to see if it will fit with my Rcmax and pipe combo and especially given that we can no longer get spare parts or body panels for it anymore. Have always wanted one though... I'm torn between clones aswell. On one hand it's killing off the major companies but at the same time we are not getting ripped off paying like £40 for a bit of plastic that cost pennies to produce. The clones have got a lot more people into 5th scales I think so ironically are keeping the hobby alive, hopefully will cause the major brands to keep innovating and coming out with new kits.. having said that most of my car isn't original hpi anyway apart from the bulkheads and a few plastic bits most of it is turtle racing, irc, kraken, flm ect anyway that I've assembled from scratch without ever purchasing a kit. Would have been good  of Kraken to announce they have dicontinued their products and tell everyone they aren't supplying parts though, at least with hpi you can still gt hold of parts for a number of years after, hell it's even possible to find parts for the old rs4's. Nice vid though, make sure you look after that body and cage, if I manage to get hold of all the bits I need I will be keeping it is a shelf queen, too nice to mess up and not be able to fix!!

• Thanks 1

hey doug. I may have a complete hpi 5t body mounting kit somewhere if it helps. I was going to use it to mount the proline bug body to one of my Baja's back in the day but never got round to using it.

let me know if you need anything and ill try and find it :thumbsup:

jim

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scoobyslayer said:

hey doug. I may have a complete hpi 5t body mounting kit somewhere if it helps. I was going to use it to mount the proline bug body to one of my Baja's back in the day but never got round to using it.

let me know if you need anything and ill try and find it :thumbsup:

jim

Hi jim bought the full kit (5b to 5t) from ddm alnog with a ream chase cage👍 

But if you are not using it and need a new home pm me and we can talk🤔👌👍

• Like 1

So that night I posted on here, I decided to order the tsk 1 kit from Rcmax...guess that makes up for me buying the SX5 from China for 130 quid . Anyway they both arrived today. Both cages are a damn tight squeeze around the rcmax pipe, annoyingly the SX5 more so which I have to say I think looks way cooler than the tsk b at least without body panels. Was worried about how it would hold up to the exhaust heat so have started her up and let it idle with a few blips of throttle here and there and the only bits the exhaust is touching that are melting are the team chase shock tower supports, the potential clone cage doesn't appear affected by the heat whatsoever so far. 

20191022_134709.jpg

20191022_134841.jpg

• Like 1