• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Boomerwig...

ChrisT

...it's a Boomerang with a Bigwig front end :)

Having recently rebuilt/restored a Super Sabre, which is essentially a Boomerang with a few different parts, this left me with an abundance of leftover parts. Pretty much most of the Sabre build was replaced with new plastic parts, apart from the red parts.

I though it was a shame to sell them on for what would be pittance and maybe I could put them to use.

Whenever I decal or build a chassis, certainly decaling, I often turn to google images for a more thorough representation of the positioning, the manuals are OK but sometimes the angle of the images are a bit vague, a high res image gives better results. Having built a Boomerang over a year ago and the Sabre more recently, a yellow boomerang would appear on both searches. It looked good in yellow, especially with black wheels. It's pretty much the same with YouTube, we all go there to watch videos of our favourite RC cars or we just want to watch one run for whatever reason, and again it was a Boomerang search that led me to a thumbnail of a Boomerang with Bigwig dual front dampers. This particular Boomer was in boxart white with original wheels.

So I decided the two should become one :D

Obviously i didn't have every part to build up the chassis, so some new parts were ordered. Bodyshell is genuine, stickers are MCI. A few plastic part trees, fixings etc including some gearbox internals were purchased. Wheels and tyres were fortunately in my parts box. These were previously used  as runners for the Top Force, which comprise of Tamiya DF-03 wheels, Fastrax Turfripper tyres and Schumacher inner foams. The lettering on the Turfrippers were painted with a Sakura Gelly Roll pen.

The front and rear dampers were robbed from my Astute look-a-like . These weren't to spec as the Boomerang rears or Bigwig fronts so a small amount of parts were ordered to adapt them. 2 rear rods/shafts some X parts and a set of springs.

I also decided to fit some add on light pods as I did similarly to my first Boomerang build. Although I left out the LED's and fitted some MCI 'KC' stickers.

With that little lot out the way, it was just a matter of putting the pieces together :partytime2:

As I sit here typing this out, I'm staring at it in the corner and wondering what the hell can I do next? :glare: the bit after is what I don't like, it's like an emptyness :(

Hope you enjoy.

Left over parts:

01-BW.jpg

02-BW.jpg

03-BW.jpg

Some new parts:

04-BW.jpg

05-BW.jpg

06-BW.jpg

07-BW.jpg

08-BW.jpg

Body and driver painted:

09-BW.jpg

MCI Sticker cut out:

10-BW.jpg

Light pods with MCI stickers:

11-BW.jpg

Fastrax Turfripper tyres mounted on DF-03 wheels:

12-BW.jpg

13-BW.jpg

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, RCpete said:

Thats awesome mate. I've got a Boomerang which i would like to have twin shocks at the front, probably go for the Super Shot shock towers if they fit..

It should work but you'll also need the BB17 and BB18 parts to mount the shocks to the existing Boomerang arms.

2.jpg

11 hours ago, RCpete said:

Quite pricey for the pair but if needs must lol.  There are a few aftermarket mods...i like the small aluminium front bumper .

I've not seen the alloy bumper for the Boomerang, but RC Channel make a nice one for the Hotshot/Super Hotshot.

DSCF1959.jpg

DSCF1993.jpg

http://www.rcmart.com/channel-tc58862-hotshot-front-skid-aluminum-bumper-p-83963.html?cPath=595_744_1092

11 hours ago, ChrisT said:

Thanks @AndyMB  It definitely could of been boxart.

My very kind girlfriend has just ordered me a few RC things for my upcoming birthday, one of which is the Winger body. I don't have any decals for it yet or paint, will have to have a wee think on the colour.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RCpete said:

My very kind girlfriend has just ordered me a few RC things for my upcoming birthday, one of which is the Winger body. I don't have any decals for it yet or paint, will have to have a wee think on the colour.  

Good stuff :thumbsup:

MCI Racing for all your decal needs.

TBG Winger Window Mask

MCI Winger Decals