• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Does anyone make decent kits these days?

Light875

Just started thinking of getting back in to RC and noticed that hardly anyone seems to make unassembled kits any more.

Few years back I bought a TLR 22 and loved building it, and then got a second hand 1/8 buggy.  At that time there were several other makes also offering kits, Team Durango for example but I notice they have gone from the market now. Serpent were also offering kits then as well if I remember correctly.

Now thinking of something else.  Really like the look of the Arrma 1/8th scale, especially the Kraton but its only available RTR.

Does anyone still make kits?  I know Tamiya make a lot, but are they actually any good, or will I be looking for hop-ups straight away?  Or are there any kits that include the necessary hop-ups at purchase?

I expect first responses will be "what budget?" and "what type of model do I want?" but neither of those are really game breakers, I enjoy the build as much as the driving in the most part. My only red line if electric rather than nitro or petrol.  I already have sone LiPos and charger etc.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.