• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya CC01 Land Rover Discovery LR3 ver3.5 updated

I started the scale/trail side of the hobby 7 years ago after reading a forum post and met some blokes in the woods at Black Rocks :rofl:

Think some are still lurking around???......

Anyway, the CC01 was my 1st scale rig and although I have more capable and advanced kits, I have kept it and use it every now and then.

Its sat on the shelf for last 12 months and suffered a few cuts and bruises on its last run so I set about a refurb....

I have made new body mounts, rear suspension links, new prop shaft (FTX Outlaw) and refurbed the electrics.

Also fitted new wheels and tyres (not sure these will stay)

48133565573_9ca7a11835_c.jpg

48133535451_e8865959f1_c.jpg

Shell has suffered rock scrapes and the like, some damage and split in a couple of places,

all bits stripped off ready for sanding and repairs

48133626122_df01aab17c_c.jpg

48133626027_3808094f71_c.jpg

Mounted up...

48133633652_e4f84e8a2c_c.jpg

I decided on Mazda Eternal Red for the colour

Image result for a3e mazda

After spraying wasn't happy and stripped and primed the shell again, I have another colour and will post when finished 

Thanks for looking

Edited by Davy Crockett
  • Like 2

Shell painted in the revised colour and its...…. LOUD!! 

48202365761_432507cf88_c.jpg

Ford ST Electric Orange 

48202411502_c48fa30604_c.jpg

48202411572_00c0636cba_c.jpg

Not sure that the pics show it too well but I have cut the roofrack to have the lightbar sit more flush. Also, still not convinced with the wheels

• Like 1

Minor update....

Minor works to front end and few decals added

LEDs in and wired up, 2 micro toggle switches to switch lights and lightbar separately - wired so lightbar works only when LEDs are on.

48255204546_a682e6c5e5_c.jpg

48255204656_1924662212_c.jpg

48255204601_69a4060dd3_c.jpg

Well, I think that's almost done. just a few scale items to print and add to roof rack.

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

I like most am in lockdown, currently furloughed and have time to do things I should've been doing...

Bugger that, I'm in the man-cave!

Like I said, CC01 got me started in this game and the Disco is still with me and hardly had a run since last pics

Devil makes work for idle hands so  keeping busy... Intended to redo Disco a graphite grey but came out 💩, only paint I have left is satin black

Never had or wanted the Disco to be black but commited paint to the shell.

Completely rewired supply, LEDs and moved switches, 3d printed bits, replaced wheels and tyres and peek of progress

49830777206_812e04b102_c.jpg

49831086542_58c4f58a1c_c.jpg

More to come........

• Like 3

That looks good to me in black 👍. My first trail truck was a CC01 landfreeder, loved it also had s pajero fully upgraded which I should have kept! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Work has prevented my furlough activities (thankfully!) but have just about finished the Discovery

Then I thought "Hey.... why not make it a van/commercial Disco??" Ok, why didn't I leave it alone! Made a right pigs-ear of the window filling but got it about best i'll manage

soon realised that filling, smoothing and sanding is something that just because I've seen it doesn't mean I can do it.... I watch Holby City but doesn't make me a doctor!! :rofl:

49919638321_cb89da18a7_c.jpg

49919638571_fd8ae684e3_c.jpg

49919936702_f74ee13a8f_c.jpg

49919126318_6157dfb8de_c.jpg

Thanks for looking! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
17 hours ago, Lr3 mad man said:

Hi @Davy Crockett

where did you get that shell? And what scale is it? It looks amazing and I own a lr3 and wanted to make a rc version. 

really hope you can help.

thanks in advance Gaz 

Hi Gaz

The shell is from a New Bright Discovery RC car, few pop up on ebay from time to time. 

Chucked the 'toy' chassis and used the shell on a CC01 chassis.

Its been painted yellow since these pics but wasn't that happy with it and got another shell few months ago.

Let me know if its of any interest if you can't source one and I'll root it out loft :good:

10 hours ago, Davy Crockett said:

Hi Gaz

The shell is from a New Bright Discovery RC car, few pop up on ebay from time to time. 

Chucked the 'toy' chassis and used the shell on a CC01 chassis.

Its been painted yellow since these pics but wasn't that happy with it and got another shell few months ago.

Let me know if its of any interest if you can't source one and I'll root it out loft :good:

Thanks for the quick reply, i seem to be hitting a dead end finding one. If you have  one this would be fantastic and I would be interested 😀