• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Ion - Too Delicate?

Filobetty

Hi All

I’m looking for others’ experience of the Maverick Ion range in terms of durability, or lack of it!!

I think it’d be useful to point out early on that my current opinion of the Ion is that it looks like a great little package, but isn’t fit for purpose in terms of durability. 

My reference point is that I’m a very happy FTX Vantage owner as well, who is experienced with RC usage, operation & repair.

I’ve used the Ion 4-5 times and each time it’s failed in some way.

1st outing burnt out the motor. I wasn’t hammering it to death. The motor gets red hot without hammering it. 

2nd outing snapped part of the suspension. My fault but would’ve hoped for a bit more strength to be honest.

3rd outing lost the cup from the spring of the front shock. They’re not attached beyond the spring pressure, so I guess this will easily happen again. Also noticed a slipping sound in the transmition somewhere. Plastic starting to strip no doubt.

4th outing snapped the body/oil chamber of the front shock. No big impacts so no idea how this happened.

The above might make it seem like I’ve abused it, but really I haven’t. 

It’s a fast little car that seems to be too delicate for the speed it can reach.

It shouldn’t be possible to fry the motor so soon.

My current view is that I don’t see how anybody could realistically use this car without it breaking regularly. In which case I can’t see how it’s fit for purpose. 

As the parts are more expensive than say the FTX parts, I see me quickly spending more on motors and parts than the car was bought for new. 

To re-iterate, I’ve not tried to abuse the car, far from it. I’m looking for feedback from other Ion owners?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

We have the same truck (ion mt). Since we got it in Feb 21 its had 3 motors as they have all burnt out. New front shocks as  one lost the bottom retainer and the other snapped in half in low speed shunt. It's had a new front dog bone as the original was lost in the shock crash and a pair of front arm due to 1 spectacular off and 1 low impact brush with a wooden post. I've swapped them for alloy replacements which are proving to be much better. All in all I think I've spent as much on parts as the car cost originally. I'm currently waiting for another motor to arrive as it fried again whilst out!

It's a quick little truck, but not child friendly IMO.....

I agree they're not the best truck out there, but if you're going through motors at that rate, I'd prob have a dig into your transmission, and check for any binding etc, check pinion gear mesh too.  They could just be rubbish cans, but that does seem excessive... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2021 at 22:36, Andrewcrofts said:

We have the same truck (ion mt). Since we got it in Feb 21 its had 3 motors as they have all burnt out. New front shocks as  one lost the bottom retainer and the other snapped in half in low speed shunt. It's had a new front dog bone as the original was lost in the shock crash and a pair of front arm due to 1 spectacular off and 1 low impact brush with a wooden post. I've swapped them for alloy replacements which are proving to be much better. All in all I think I've spent as much on parts as the car cost originally. I'm currently waiting for another motor to arrive as it fried again whilst out!

It's a quick little truck, but not child friendly IMO.....

just checkout out thread from start to the end (yep , it is asack for money without the bottom - but at least we know how to make it work 😉  ) :