• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dodgy or not

babylon

So, Is this Dodgy or what, Only ask because he had 2 available 5 or so days ago under the same line of partner bought them and now no longer needed, I now some of you are pretty good and going through the dark web that it eBay history.

He seems to have four available.

If you buy it and it doesn't come or isn't as described then you get your money back via PayPal anyway.

I'd happily buy it if I was after one.

Sent from my S55 using Tapatalk

On 09/11/2018 at 15:29, Oh How Original said:

Seems a genuine reason for the sale

‘Brand new boxed unused never been open my partner bought for a project but never get the chance to complete’

...and he has 5 of them?

I wouldn’t buy. I don’t believe the story.

I've got 3 Hobbywings here, that 150, An SC8 and a Max8, I never thought of entering the Anti Counterfeit number on there website, So just thought I would try with the SC8, But it just crashes to a 500 page not found or something(it's in Chinese or Mandarin), So a lot of good that is.

So, Is it me, Or is getting into the Hobbywing calibration setup now just a case of switching it on and off while pressing the little button and hoping for the best, Sometimes you can do the whole ,hold button,Switch on, Release button quick, Calibrate, Not this time.

All I keep getting is a flashing red light, Then it works, But it's not calibrated cos I never did the whole pressing of the button in each position, So I'm thinking, 50 quid, There's why it was 50 quid, But I do a little Googling, And someone said they had to switch on and quickly press the button, Release and press and hold the button, So I gave that a go and it worked.

So whats going on, That's not how I have done it in the past, And that's not how it says to do it in the manual, Is this how others have done it with this speedo, Or are they all now different, Why can they not just do switch on holding button for 10 seconds or something, You only do it once or twice.

Edited by babylon

10 hours ago, babylon said:

So, Is it me, Or is getting into the Hobbywing calibration setup now just a case of switching it on and off while pressing the little button and hoping for the best, Sometimes you can do the whole ,hold button,Switch on, Release button quick, Calibrate, Not this time.

All I keep getting is a flashing red light, Then it works, But it's not calibrated cos I never did the whole pressing of the button in each position, So I'm thinking, 50 quid, There's why it was 50 quid, But I do a little Googling, And someone said they had to switch on and quickly press the button, Release and press and hold the button, So I gave that a go and it worked.

So whats going on, That's not how I have done it in the past, And that's not how it says to do it in the manual, Is this how others have done it with this speedo, Or are they all now different, Why can they not just do switch on holding button for 10 seconds or something, You only do it once or twice.

Symptomatic of the 'knock off's' in my experience - i've a couple in storage somewhere that will calibrate 1 time in something like 100 attempts - at first I thought it was the switch on one (I bought it used) - new switch fitted, just the same.  Calibration on it should be the same as the others, like the manual.  I may dig one out and try the methd you describe.

Thing is, How do you know if it's a knock off or not, Even Hobbywings counterfeit thing still doesn't work, In Chrome or Firefox, If it is a knock off, Then hats off to them, Everything looks spot on, From the printing on the box, to the plastic it's made off, To the model No: being stamped on the side of the inside plastic holder.

27 minutes ago, babylon said:

Not what I can see, But would that not only be with a UK sourced one.

Yes, only UK official stock.

I use the term knock off but as per my earlier post they may not be counterfeit - could be a batch that failed QC, due to the programming niggle - I just don't know - it'd be unusual for items like that though (QC Fails) to end up in the retail channel - HW have a good rep, doing so would cause harm,  and if they ended up being sold unofficially - ie an OEM was supposed to use them in RTR's but decided to flog them in breach of contract - then you'd expect HW to have issues a press release warning about it.  Your guess is as good as mine, but I do know there's something afoot with some quicrun 150's

I know there has been talk about fake's, Which even Hobbywing admitted, Which is why they gave us the counterfeit code(That still don't work), But if you Google Fake Hobbywing, You get next to nothing back, More so with Quicrun's or EzRuns, You nearly always get back pictures of what to look for and the differences with fake stuff, Like the Castle motors and there different cable and where they enter the can being smaller.

But with what seems to be all the car series of controllers, There is no way at all to tell if you have a fake or not other than the counterfeit code(Which don't work), Is Hobbywing telling us that the copies are identical in every way, And no way to tell the difference from it's physical appearance or packaging appearance, If that's the case, We may have to stay clear of any Hobbywing bought from overseas 

Did sound dodgy I admit, Took a punt, Then again I bought a SC8 from China for 40 quid, Just as much of a punt really, Anyway.

I thought I would go and have another play just incase I only got lucky the first time with the calibration and not gonna be one of them once in every 100 attempts, And if someone ever Googles the question we'll come up first again.

So, We know what normally happens, Hold button and switch on, Then immediately let go of button, Starts to beep, Neutral position you press button and get 1 beep, Full throttle press button and get 2 beeps,Full brake press button and get 3 beeps, Then it does some more beeps and job done.

Problem I had was that it would not start beeping after letting off button first time, What worked for me was to hold down the button, Release button when I switched on and then immediately push button again, It would then beep, And this beep turns out to be the neutral calibration, Full throttle press button get 2 beeps, Full brake press button get 3 beeps, Some beeps and job done, Did it about 10 times in a row just to be sure, And worked everytime.

Don't know if this is the sign of a fake or a software balls up at the factory, If it's a fake, Hobbywing should hire the people making it, From the outside it's first class quality, Connected it to the LED programme box and everything was on the right default settings.

26 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Why are you so convinced the 'story' was fake?

Trying to offer a plausible story without specifics and selling several of them. Using their ‘partner’ as the reason for selling, distances themselves from accountability.