• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Announcement

atom3624

Quote:

Traxxas® Consumer Safety Alert!

Important Safety Notice Regarding Venom® Power Batteries with the Uniplug 2.0 System

The Venom Uniplug 2.0 system is not compatible with Traxxas iD™ 
as claimed by Venom.

The Venom Uniplug 2.0 system bypasses important safety features in the Traxxas High-Current Connector. Bypassing the Traxxas safety features creates a severe risk of FIRE and INJURY if batteries are improperly handled.

The Traxxas iD™ system utilizes technology integrated into the Traxxas High Current connector that Traxxas iD™ chargers use to automatically configure the charge settings for the battery when the battery is plugged into the charger. The Venom Uniplug 2.0 connector is not compatible with the Traxxas iD™ system and contains no technology that can be used by a Traxxas iD™ charger.

The Traxxas High Current connector design designates specific connectors for various LiPo batteries and a single specific connector only for NiMh batteries.  A mechanical key system built into the design of the connector prevents Traxxas iD™ LiPo batteries from being plugged into currently produced Traxxas NiMh chargers. This is an important safety feature for Traxxas customers. The Venom Uniplug 2.0 system bypasses this Traxxas safety feature and creates a severe risk of fire and injury by allowing a Venom LiPo battery to be connected to and charged by a NiMh only charger, or manually charged in NiMh charge mode on multi-chemistry chargers.

For more details, contact Traxxas Customer Service at (888) 872-9927 

Al.

Interesting this came from traxxas (a company affected by this)  and not the creator of the product venom! 

Guess they've been getting calls about it from traxxas charger users after creating a small kitchen inferno.. 

I guess its common sense not to charge a lipo on nimh setting though...... 

Whoever would utilise a uniplugs specifically to charge a lipo on nimh setting anyway??  Unless it was accidentally charged on nimh setting after using a uniplug to connect the battery to the charger , in which case... More user care & attention should of been implemented when charging

I'm sure this notice will come standard with traxxas electronics now then.... Meaning if you choose to use venom uniplugs then you do so at your own risk.... 

3 hours ago, jamesp2812 said:

I guess traxxas going to be suing venom now then.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

I doubt it... Theres no grounds really... As the uniplug product was not created specifically for the purpose of bypassing traxxas in built safety features.... So in essence the liability would be largely the users... 

Hence why traxxas and other companies usually state in the provided product manual that they only recommend their own products to use with their products.... This covers them from this exact type of situation....

On 24/08/2018 at 16:48, jamesp2812 said:

Yeah that's a fair point. So the announcement is to stop people complaining to traxxas.

Yes I thought the same!

It will be written into the terms and conditions under 'misuse of product' which Also probably annuls any legal liability for the "My traxxas charger set my house on fire" argument....the response would be  "where you using official traxxas recommended charging leads? 'Cos if not you've voided your warranty under the terms and conditions.... Yadayadayada"

All makes sense now! So only traxxas have the traxxas id technology! So the answer would be to sell the traxxas id battery get a normal balance charger and a better lipo I.e. A turnigy!

• Like 1