• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Servo advice

Crawfish

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm a noob so please go easy if I ask some stupid questions! I bought a pretty much new Hobao Hyper VSe from ebay. It was the 80% build and the guy I bought it off of has kitted it out with:

• Hobbywing EZRUN 4274 2200kv motor
  • Hobbywing EZRUN Max8 ESC
  • Alturn AAS-750MG servo

I've got it all painted up and ready to go and have just been running it around the garden so not given it a proper bashing yet. It's probably had no more than 2hrs of run time and the steering won't respond at all. I was in the middle of letting the kids drive it (me on the throttle, them on the steering) so we were going slow and it suddenly just stopped steering.

I've taken a look at the receiver and swapped the leads (ch1/ch2) around from (as the mighty google suggested) but then nothing works so I'm probably doing something wrong on that as I was expecting the wheel to at least work the throttle??

Should the servo feel very stiff with the power off when I manually move the wheels? Is it pretty likely the servo has given up? Is that a crap servo so to be expected?

Any advice would be really appreciated! 

I don't think Alturn are necessarily a bad servo.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/alturn-usa-high-performance-race-servo-high-torque-/rc-car-products/359784

Any chance the endpoints were set too far and was binding up on full turn? Could've burnt it out like that.

Should be able to turn the wheels by hand tbf. Might have just been unlucky.

I would normally unplug the esc out of the receiver and put a small battery pack (4*AA's) in it. Put the servo in the receiver so you only have the battery and servo plugged in. Then try it out in ch2 & ch1. If none work it's likely  toast.

A lot of people who just bash go with the power hd one:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/power-hd-lf20-metal-geared-servo-red/rc-car-products/388829

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/power-hd-lf13-metal-geared-servo/rc-car-products/388579

You can find it way cheaper than MS though, their price is a bit ott.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Crawfish said:

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm a noob so please go easy if I ask some stupid questions! I bought a pretty much new Hobao Hyper VSe from ebay. It was the 80% build and the guy I bought it off of has kitted it out with:

• Hobbywing EZRUN 4274 2200kv motor
  • Hobbywing EZRUN Max8 ESC
  • Alturn AAS-750MG servo

I've got it all painted up and ready to go and have just been running it around the garden so not given it a proper bashing yet. It's probably had no more than 2hrs of run time and the steering won't respond at all. I was in the middle of letting the kids drive it (me on the throttle, them on the steering) so we were going slow and it suddenly just stopped steering.

I've taken a look at the receiver and swapped the leads (ch1/ch2) around from (as the mighty google suggested) but then nothing works so I'm probably doing something wrong on that as I was expecting the wheel to at least work the throttle??

Should the servo feel very stiff with the power off when I manually move the wheels? Is it pretty likely the servo has given up? Is that a crap servo so to be expected?

Any advice would be really appreciated! 

Did you buy this a couple of weeks back for £342??

14 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

I don't think Alturn are necessarily a bad servo.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/alturn-usa-high-performance-race-servo-high-torque-/rc-car-products/359784

Any chance the endpoints were set too far and was binding up on full turn? Could've burnt it out like that.

Should be able to turn the wheels by hand tbf. Might have just been unlucky.

I would normally unplug the esc out of the receiver and put a small battery pack (4*AA's) in it. Put the servo in the receiver so you only have the battery and servo plugged in. Then try it out in ch2 & ch1. If none work it's likely  toast.

A lot of people who just bash go with the power hd one:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/power-hd-lf20-metal-geared-servo-red/rc-car-products/388829

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/power-hd-lf13-metal-geared-servo/rc-car-products/388579

You can find it way cheaper than MS though, their price is a bit ott.

Cheers! Out of interest what is the difference between the 2 servos? Which is the 'better' one to go with?

In terms of endpoints, I'm not sure due to my noobiness! It felt fine to drive and seem to handle as you'd expect but I guess it could have been an issue

Edited by Crawfish

2 hours ago, Crawfish said:

Yes I did, did you sell it a couple of weeks back or did you lose out on it?

It was me who you got into the bidding war with at the end of the auction :D. Congrats, looks like a really nice buggy, i bet it shifts with that Max8 combo in it!

The 2 servos mentioned above, the LF20 has more torque (20kg) but is a bit slower than the LF13 (13kg). I've just ordered an LF13 for my Kyosho DRX for £13, if you dont mind waiting a couple of weeks for it to arrive.

Power HD LF13

Edited by wiggy2k7
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, wiggy2k7 said:

It was me who you got into the bidding war with at the end of the auction :D. Congrats, looks like a really nice buggy, i bet it shifts with that Max8 combo in it!

The 2 servos mentioned above, the LF20 has more torque (20kg) but is a bit slower than the LF13 (13kg). I've just ordered an LF13 for my Kyosho DRX for £13, if you dont mind waiting a couple of weeks for it to arrive.

Power HD LF13

Ha, well unfortunately for you I was on my second bottle of red wine so might have gone a little bit OTT on the bidding!

Thanks for the advice on the servo and yes, it is rapid - albeit now only in a straight line :-)

Would this be better: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstartm-ts-920-digital-1-10-sct-4wd-buggy-steering-servo-13-1kg-0-07sec-66g.html given its speed and kg rating. A little more money but not too much...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll take a look. Out of interest what is your experience with hobbyking? Quick delivery? Reliable? Customer service? They look pretty cheap which always makes me a little suspicious

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Crawfish said:

Thanks, I'll take a look. Out of interest what is your experience with hobbyking? Quick delivery? Reliable? Customer service? They look pretty cheap which always makes me a little suspicious

I've been ordering from HK for years. Just make sure you order from the UK warehouse, ordering from the USA or Global can take an absolute age! I've never needed any after sales support but from what I hear, it ain't great!

• Like 1

I've had 4 orders all go through fine so far so good [emoji106]

• Like 1

On 15/05/2018 at 18:29, DartmoorTrails said:

Would this be better: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstartm-ts-920-digital-1-10-sct-4wd-buggy-steering-servo-13-1kg-0-07sec-66g.html given its speed and kg rating. A little more money but not too much...

I've placed the order and it is due today so hopefully get it fitted tonight and see whether everything is now working ok! If not I guess I'm onto looking at a new receiver and/or transmitter which I guess could have given up.

I took a look at the gears on the old servo and they all looked out, so a bit nervous this won't fix it

Edited by Crawfish

Had a proper play with the car last night and I've noticed something that might have caused the first servo to wear out prematurely. When on full lock the wheels start to wobble/vibrate - I guess like they are rubbing on something but I can't quite tell what therefore I'm not sure how to remedy it.

I know I can adjust the steering travel/endpoints on the transmitter but when I do this to the point that the wheels seem to be ok on full turn, the turning circle is IMO too wide and I'd struggle around a track.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,

Ed