• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Timing system for the yard

MuntyScruntfundle

Hi folks.

I need a practice timing system for the yard that can handle 3 to 4 sectors.  I've seen one that would be kind of perfect except you need to use Spectrum receivers and transmitters, that's not going to happen as a while ago I decided to go exclusively with the Futaba SBus system.  

I don't want to go to the lengths of embedding loops, I need something portable and easy to move about as and when I decide to change the circuit.  There could be a single or multiple cars on track at any one time, so it needs to be relatively clever.

I know this is a difficult thing to do on a budget so I'm really interested in what others have set up.

I have a bunch of Raspberry pi's which would be perfect as they can all sit on my wifi and send results to a central database server, but I can't find the right modules for triggering the data.  I've tried led/lsd, but I can't get any range.  I've tried the local RF chips readily available but they're very hit and miss.  But I'd love to use these if anyone knows a hardware solution, then I could write all the software myself which used to be my profession.

Anyway,  any ideas?

Many thanks.

IR beams rather than LED's would work better. However as you've noted the range is quite short and you'll want plenty of width for the track. 

If you want to use a loop system it doesn't need embedding in the ground. Whilst my old clubs outdoor loop is buried under the astroturf the indoor version is simply taped to the underside of a heavy rubber mat. Totally portable and very robust. Another idea we've also used is to make a gantry for the loop out of PVC pipe and run it over the track rather than under it. 

There is an IR based timing system which uses an overhead gantry and IR transponders in the cars. I've seen plans online to DIY such a system but it was a while back so can't recall the specifics.