• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stadium trucks - which one

I love stadium trucks. The look of them and how they perform. They just seem so much more stable and capable than buggies for the most part. 

I’ve been loving running my Losi XXT but reality is, parts are pretty rare these days for them. So I’m toying with getting a newer truck. 

Seems there isn’t a huge amount of choice on the market. 

The Rustler is just expensive in VXL guise. I struggle to see the value in them. I’m also familiar with Rustlers from 1995. I know they have been updated. But they are amazingly similar still. I had a Traxxas SRT back in the day that was way better than the Rustler. So getting one now would feel a backwards step. I also know a Rustler didn’t drive as well as my Losi. 

That said they look nice with a nice body design. And Modelsport have the brushed version for £175. Which seems decent value. But plastic turnbuckles and no suspension adjustment limit appeal. 

The HPI FireStorm seems the next obvious candidate. But I wonder if that’s the issue here. A bit too obvious. Again not the most modern design but a decent looking truck. The Flux might be cheaper than the Rustler VXL. But it’s still quite pricey. I’ve also read some chassis durability issues with the Hpi. 

The Associated Team truck looks nice. Mid motor and very capable looking. But my word the body shell is minging! 

While on Associated. The RC10T4.3 looks very nice. Any reason not to go for it over the Hpi?

Think my only real reservation here is. It doesn’t seem technology has moved on from my 20 year old Losi. 

The Arrma Vorteks looks pretty decent. But I’ve recently bought an Arrma Raider XL. Which seems to be pretty much the same platform, just with a different body. So thing I’d want to go for something else. 

The Hpi Jumpshot looks ok. But doesn’t have that poised stance. So not sure if it’s handling will be what I’m after. And suspect this is true of the Tamiya offerings as well. 

There are a host of cheaper trucks. At the entry level.

Then I stumbled across this Rage RC R10ST. The spec looks really interesting. Alloy shocks, lots of graphite parts including chassis and towers, adjustable turnbuckles, multi position shock mounting and mid motor config. It even come brushless and for about the same money as the cheapest Rustler and less money than the Hpi or Associated offerings. 

I’m not convinced on parts supply in the UK. Modelsport are showing no stock for all the parts. But seems parts are readily available in the USA. So apart from shipping times/costs parts might not be a major issue. 

Thing this his truck is fairly new, sometime in 2017 release. So haven’t managed to find much about it. A couple of reviews on YouTube and they look positive. 

I like the look, spec and design. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rage-rc-r10st-1-10th-2wd-stadium-truck/rc-car-products/425613

rgrc1000.jpg

Has anyone heard any horror stories with these? Or any reasons why something else would be a better purchase?

Edited by 300bhp/ton

The firestorm for sure only needs tbone bumpers and ready to bash. I've never had any chassis issues since owning not heard of any apart from the odd bulkhead breakage. The rustler apparently needs a tonne of upgrades. Check out the firestorm thread lots of pics etc on there. Don't forget it's 2wd.

Edited by stretch

Comparing the Firestorm to the RC10T4.3 is interesting, because the Firestorm started life based on the original T4. The two models have developed in very different directions though with the HPI becoming tougher but more bashing orientated, the Associated more focused on racing. 

Stadium truck technology (at least the non-racing side of it) hasn't improved much at all in years. Thats because the basic rear motor, central lengthways battery layout offers the best platform for a rear wheel drive vehicle designed for running on loose surfaces and jumping a lot. My original 1992 RC10T is quite capable of hanging with the modern T4's, Firestorms and Rustlers. On a track its blown away by the newer mid motor designs but these only work well in high traction, which isn't the case dirt jumping. 

I keep hearing rumors that Associated are planning the re-release the RC10T, like they have other versions of the alloy tub RC10. If they do, that would actually be my truck of choice. Yes its a really old design, but tough as nails all the same. 

12 hours ago, Si Coe said:

Comparing the Firestorm to the RC10T4.3 is interesting, because the Firestorm started life based on the original T4. The two models have developed in very different directions though with the HPI becoming tougher but more bashing orientated, the Associated more focused on racing. 

Stadium truck technology (at least the non-racing side of it) hasn't improved much at all in years. Thats because the basic rear motor, central lengthways battery layout offers the best platform for a rear wheel drive vehicle designed for running on loose surfaces and jumping a lot. My original 1992 RC10T is quite capable of hanging with the modern T4's, Firestorms and Rustlers. On a track its blown away by the newer mid motor designs but these only work well in high traction, which isn't the case dirt jumping. 

I keep hearing rumors that Associated are planning the re-release the RC10T, like they have other versions of the alloy tub RC10. If they do, that would actually be my truck of choice. Yes its a really old design, but tough as nails all the same. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Don’t suppose you know what the actual differences are between and E-Firestorm and the 10t4.3?

You say the the Hpi tougher. In what way and how?

:)

They aren't cross compatible if thats what you are asking. HPI didn't simply 'clone' the T4, they made their own model but clearly whoever designed it had a T4 sat on the desk at the time! 

Anyway the best indicator of the difference if philosophy between the two trucks is to look at which bits are metal. The HPI has an all metal drivetrain, the T4 has a metal layshaft gear but the idler and diff case are plastic. Metal gears are stronger, which is good for hard landings under power - both trucks feature a slipper clutch that should protect the gears but only if set correctly. HPI expects their users to be too busy having fun and doing wheelies to tinker with slipper settings. In contrast the plastic T4 gearbox has a much lower rotating mass, so it will accelerate better which is useful on a race track. Racers fiddle with slipper settings anyway so slightly weaker gears isn't a problem there. 

The shocks are the opposite - plastic bodied on the HPI, alloy on the T4. The T4's shocks are much more precise, smoother and more adjustable. However a bad crash will at worse rip the caps off the HPI shocks, whereas the T4 you risk bending a shock shaft. 

The HPI comes with a slightly faster motor out of the box (4000kv vs 3300kv) and includes much higher gearing for top speed runs, whereas the T4 is geared quite low as stock for acceleration. There isn't much between the two motors though and with some gearing adjustment they can perform the same. 

The result is that the T4 is a good truck if want finesse and you try to take care of stuff. Its not weak by any means and will survive the odd bad landing just fine but not outright abuse. The Firestorm meanwhile is ideal if you want to sling it over jumps without worrying where or how it lands, hack about having a laugh until the battery runs flat and then put it away 'til next time. Very different approaches. 

• Like 2