• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What's the advantage of Losi/Baja hybrid over just a Baja?

Danzzz88

So I've seen this and I'm just wondering what is the advantage of a Losi hybrid over a regular Baja, other than the fact that the LOSI chassis is a couple inches longer in which case you could buy an extended chassis for the Baja, and give that a Baja with the FLM extended arms gives you the same width as the Losi I'm not quite sure what is the purpose. But on the other hand I'm kind of drawn to it cos you can fit a LOSI body on it specifically in my case a 30DNT body which I think looks awesome. But from a purely technical point of view the engines at the back the track width would be the same and it's just slightly longer with a heavier bodyshell to keep the front end down. Am I missing something here??

So I've seen this and I'm just wondering what is the advantage of a Losi hybrid over a regular Baja, other than the fact that the LOSI chassis is a couple inches longer in which case you could buy an extended chassis for the Baja, and give that a Baja with the FLM extended arms gives you the same width as the Losi I'm not quite sure what is the purpose. But on the other hand I'm kind of drawn to it cos you can fit a LOSI body on it specifically in my case a 30DNT body which I think looks awesome. But from a purely technical point of view the engines at the back the track width would be the same and it's just slightly longer with a heavier bodyshell to keep the front end down. Am I missing something here??

From what my 2 pals tell me who have them, they handle a lot better because of the losi platform
And the bonus of a stronger drive train
They both run bigbore motors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Scotty napalm said:

From what my 2 pals tell me who have them, they handle a lot better because of the losi platform
And the bonus of a stronger drive train
They both run bigbore motors

But this is the hybrid with the Baja drivetrain, basically the rear is all baja and the chassis and front arms are Losi, I don't see the point but at the same time I want a big massive RC like the 5ive and if it handles a bit better I can keep a lot of the parts I bought for my Baja build,sell the rest and build this.....Starting to regret ever getting into 1/5, not even bloody built the thing and already throwing hundereds of quid down the toilet chopping and changing my mind on things like buying brushless kits , deciding on petrol and buying parts I change later on with something else lol

But this is the hybrid with the Baja drivetrain, basically the rear is all baja and the chassis and front arms are Losi, I don't see the point but at the same time I want a big massive RC like the 5ive and if it handles a bit better I can keep a lot of the parts I bought for my Baja build,sell the rest and build this.....Starting to regret ever getting into 1/5, not even bloody built the thing and already throwing hundereds of quid down the toilet chopping and changing my mind on things like buying brushless kits , deciding on petrol and buying parts I change later on with something else lol

I know the feeling mate, it’s a expensive hobby once you taste 5thscale

• 8 months later...

Hi mate. 

I have been around rc bash groups and have made a fair few friends that are into the 1/5 scene big time over the past cpl of years and as I result my focus has also shifted on to 1/5 and petrol 2 strokes. 

The idea of the hybrid platform

( your pic is if the outlaw hybrid kit that rcmax is distributing here in the UK... is a development from the idea of the diy hybrids that have been becoming more and more popular amongst particularly the big bore 1/5 guys. Ocbaja originally I believe did a kit v1 and then v2 which was a similar kit idea again rather than a diy hybrid. )

...is to mate the better steering and realistic truck panels/ cage and durability of the 5t losi platform with the strong drive train of the baja. On the +50cc engines people are spending a fortune on front and rear diff setups plus cd on the losi platform and still breaking drive shafts / diffs etc. There are upgrade baja parts that take the big cc abuse better. 

So its it’s kind of a means to an end in a way. We are taking about 85 and 90cc rc engines now. It’s basically accepted that only the baja ( upgraded to the max still) drive train can even stand a chance of taking the power. 

There are hopefully upgrade drive train ( drive shafts) mostly parts on their way at some point. Most likely from alx in Italy. A fair few are doing well with 71cc in 5t losis too. 

To illustrate i run an alx super 50. 50cc relatively low budget build. I snapped 3 std drive shaft ball ends clean off at bashfest in August this year. 3 separate runs. 

Im considering doing a small bore 30.5cc hybrid build over the winter. Just to try it out. 

outlaw kit/ 90cc/ 65/ 85...

Bear in mind. All those cars I’d guess are £4K plus builds! More likely in reality £5k+

Edited by Ocdcbr