• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New motors for ride on car

vimto2000

Hey all, 

Just after some advice in case my motors in pop. I've got one of those Feber Ferrari F430s that runs off 6v and one motor! I have upgraded the car to run on 12v with two motors now. Which is OK but the kids who are now 5 and 7 want it faster... And so do I! 

This summer I plan to upgrade the batteries to run them as 24v (Pb) and fix the wiring so they can adjust the power with some switches.

No doubts I'll blow the motor at some point. I want to keep this as cheap as possible... What do people suggest as replacement motors to take that voltage. I'm not bothered whether they are brushed or brushless... But at the moment they don't have an esc. 

Cheers!

It's not the motor you need to worry about, its the gears. I did the same to my boys ride on, it became a lot quicker. I used a pair of HPI 15t motors I'd lifted for rtrs - Titans would be good too. But the cheap plastic gears blew and genuine parts are hard to find. I got some claimed to fit but don't.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I'm leaving the wheels as plastic so less traction and since there are two gearboxes I'm hoping the stress will be a lot less. Also using the PB batteries rather than lipo, there is a lot less punch. 

I bought the second gearbox by getting a run down second car for a fraction of the price of a gearbox. Will probably do the same...just look for broken cars as usually most of them are switch problems or battery problems.

5 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

Hey all, 

Just after some advice in case my motors in pop. I've got one of those Feber Ferrari F430s that runs off 6v and one motor! I have upgraded the car to run on 12v with two motors now. Which is OK but the kids who are now 5 and 7 want it faster... And so do I! 

This summer I plan to upgrade the batteries to run them as 24v (Pb) and fix the wiring so they can adjust the power with some switches.

No doubts I'll blow the motor at some point. I want to keep this as cheap as possible... What do people suggest as replacement motors to take that voltage. I'm not bothered whether they are brushed or brushless... But at the moment they don't have an esc. 

Cheers!

What size is the motor shaft / pinion bore? If rc pinions fit then toro beasts or leopard 5692 maybe for 24v

Myself If you can fit it in then a 24v mobility scooter motor perhaps.

Look at Dunlop aluminum pilot bore timing pulleys and belts instead to replace the gears if there's issues with pinion bore.  Just need to bore out the centers to required size and tap some holes for grub screws on the pulleys.

If you know someone with a lathe you could have some customized.

Calculate pulley ratio's here:

https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belt.aspx

5 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

Hey all, 

Cheers!

Oooh hang on. I wonder if a stepper motor would work?

Something like:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nema-23-Stepper-Motor-3Nm-4-2A-4-wires-10mm-Shaft-CNC-Mill-Lathe-Plasma-Router/121684006513?epid=2256099446&hash=item1c54ee9671:g:4eYAAOSwLVZVjjFM

Don't know how much torque/power you'd need tho.

Wow, that is beefy! 

At the moment it's got the tiny motor in it like a basic brushed can. The gearbox uses several nylon gears to transfer power to the wheels. 

Assuming the hpi motors suggested above would be a cheap upgrade! 

The other while sounding good.. Will totally be out of my budget for the car!