• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Restoring my very old Thunder Tiger buggy. May require some help :)

Dan2394

Hi, 

I am a new member my names Dan i'm 23 from Kent, UK. I will try to keep this post short and to the point, years ago perhaps 2005 ish my dad bought me a thunder tigger buggy (not sure which one) I was about 11 and had a great time with it, anyway life happened I lost the buggy until last night when i was digging through rubbish in my garage I uncovered the old buggy in an awful state! covered in dust and dirt, no air filter, loads of old fuel in tank etc. Looked knackered.

Anyway I want to restore it, took it to work today stripped it to its bones, for the most part it looks OK, stripped the engine which is a thunder tiger 21R, crank has seen better days but turns freely and there is compression in the cylinder so seems OK. The battery/receiver box however was knackered. All the cables ripped out batteries knackered etc, so I am going to replace batteries easy enough, I was to replace receiver also but I have no idea what I need there seems to be so many for sale I have no idea what the difference is.

Servos look ok, brakes seem to work, suspension has a little bounce. I am going to replace all fixings (screws and nyloc nuts) when rebuilding.

Basically my questions are:

1. What receiver should I purchase?

2. Any maintenance I MUST DO before I try and run this engine

3. I have a transmitter which I use for my drone, will I be able to use this for my buggy too?

4. Any other recommendations?

Thanks for reading appreciate any help.

I will post some pictures if anyone's interested when I bring it home from work.

welcome dude....:good:.....

1.flysky gt3b/c....30 quid`ish https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flysky-FS-GT3B-2-4G-3CH-Transmitter-With-Receiver-Fail-Safe-For-RC-Car-Boat-FA/142656236372?hash=item2136f96b54:g:gYMAAOSwL9paW8nG

2.chk the engine turns over and not locked up....if it turns over....put um fresh fuel down the plug hole and let if soak...take off carb and soak that in fuel aswell to clean out any old fuel....:yes:.u may need/want sum new glow plugs/nitro fuel/fuel tube....:yes:

3.depends which is it:yes:

4.give the buggy a good strip and clean and replace any seized bearings/worn parts ect......then rebuild and use.....:good:

and yes we like pics on here....:good:

ok ...u`ve done all that....:yes:....fresh shox oil.....new rx battery..hump or stick pack 6volt..new air filter...that's it really dude.:good:

Edited by evssv

15 minutes ago, evssv said:

welcome dude....:good:.....

1.flysky gt3b/c....30 quid`ish https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flysky-FS-GT3B-2-4G-3CH-Transmitter-With-Receiver-Fail-Safe-For-RC-Car-Boat-FA/142656236372?hash=item2136f96b54:g:gYMAAOSwL9paW8nG

2.chk the engine turns over and not locked up....if it turns over....put um fresh fuel down the plug hole and let if soak...take off carb and soak that in fuel aswell to clean out any old fuel....:yes:.u may need/want sum new glow plugs/nitro fuel/fuel tube....:yes:

3.depends which is it:yes:

4.give the buggy a good strip and clean and replace any seized bearings/worn parts ect......then rebuild and use.....:good:

and yes we like pics on here....:good:

ok ...u`ve done all that....:yes:....fresh shox oil.....new rx battery..hump or stick pack 6volt..new air filter...that's it really dude.:good:

Thanks for a great quick response.

1. looks good if I can get away with using my other transmitter which is a Flysky I6 2.4G 6CH remote control? What receiver could I use with this Transmitter?

2. Yes engine turns over, will be ordering glow plug, fuel pipe and fuel. Which nitro fuel for my engine?

3. See 1 (1 x Flysky I6 2.4G 6CH remote control)

4. Buggy stripped to chassis today, cleaned, stripped engine and began cleaning and I am also cleaning the central diff's currently too.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, Dan2394 said:

has 20 model memories but says its a Tx for planes and gliders? surely this doesn't matter though, does it?

nope....

1 hour ago, Dan2394 said:

just thought, of course it matter the sticks are different haha

they still go un n down so wont b a problem....

58 minutes ago, Dan2394 said:

last question, is my thunder tiger 1/8 or 1/10 scale? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question

:017:........I`m not telepathic so we need a pic....:115:.....then I can tell u.....:good:

Edited by evssv
  • Like 1

Ordered a load of spares today!

Fuel pipe

glow plug

igniter

glow plug spanner

new bolts and washers

Battery holder

battery supply on/off switch

Air filter

Fuel filter

Fuel

A spare engine complete with ancillaries (old engine needs a pull start £20, got the whole lot, filter, carb, engine, glow plug, pull start fuel tank, exhaust etc £35..)

Some cleaning fluid

Filter oil

and after run oil

See if I can rebuild this buggy and get it running :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...