• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless combo for 2wd Slash

nr73

I recently bought a Slash 2wd which I've been working my way through, and running it to expose any problem areas. About to go through the gearbox/diff tonight but generally it seems fine.

Since it's still running the stock brushed XL5/Titan setup I want to replace that with a brushless, but I am on a budget.

On the last Slash I owned, I fitted a Turnigy 3520kv 4-pole combo, sensorless with an 80A ESC. It went well but sat on the shelf as soon as my Savage Flux landed not long after, so I didn't get much time with it before I ultimately sold it. I still have the programming card which apparently is essential to improving the performance of this setup.

I am looking to buy that same combo again. It's coming in for less than £60. My plan is to run it on 2s, mainly because I don't want to be fixing 3s breakages all the time. Top speed above a certain level is unimportant, what I want is strong acceleration (therefore torque) and maybe wheelies so the 3520 seems the right variant to go for on the surface of it. 

So, my reason for posting is first to check I am going for the right combo/kv rating, and secondly if anyone has any tips or recommendations of other combos that I would do well to look at for similar money. Any help appreciated.

Bit out of your budget, but you should be able to find the items for cheaper overseas (rcmart)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-3300kv-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/420922

This is what I would go with, I have the 4000kv combo on 2s in a e-firestorm and it is superb! plenty of torque and speed.

20 hours ago, ostewart said:

Bit out of your budget, but you should be able to find the items for cheaper overseas (rcmart)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-3300kv-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/420922

This is what I would go with, I have the 4000kv combo on 2s in a e-firestorm and it is superb! plenty of torque and speed.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look. First item (other thread) seems to be to replace all the bearings, I did notice two of the wheel bearings had seen better days but on stripping the gearbox last night it seems there's a fair bit of play on the spur shaft bearing so I've ordered a complete set. I'm hoping to get a brushless combo next month so I'll see how money's going and if I can stretch to the EZRUN...

• Like 1