• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial SCX10.2 / Traxxas TRX4

Hello all.

I had my first ever rock crawler earlier this year but sold it as I wanted to work on my petrol RC car a lot more but now I've decided to go on and buy a new scale, rock crawler.

I am looking at doing a Jeep Wrangler scale build with scale accessories. 

Similar to the one in this picture.

It's a SCX10 Jeep Wrangler build.

QPSLo0c.png

It looks amazing, just not sure if to buy a TRX4 or a SCX10.2 what would you get? :D

Problem with TRX4 a Jeep Wrangler body will be kinda difficult to fit because of the wheelbase etc.

I purchased the TRX4, my first ever Traxxas, very impressed with the quality, although that comes at a Traxxas price tag.

I am going to chuck a brushless system in and change the shell for an ‘80s style Ford Bronco.

Ide buy the axial. The trx4 is very cool but traxxas is turning into a beast. They charge us loads more then spend it in court trying to shut down rival brands. 

Theyve had plenty of time to design reliable gears. But don't want reliable gears. They take parts usually one size fits all then makes sure none fit. Locking to traxxas or £££ upgrade gears. Revo rrp foc set taught me that. Whilst most trucks have gears to rival rrp as standard. 

Idk what tricks the trx4 has but i bet its alot. The xmaxx felt like the point they decided ground up builds to bleed after sales. 

Trx4 is cool tho i do like it. But i wouldnt buy one until people have had them over a year. But a guy on YouTube is truly thrashing hie trx4 on 6s castle powerd 50mph at the bmx park. So that will give a clue idk if it survived yet. But looked in one peice except the body was pounded. 

Then axial who seem to be all about pleasing their fans. The scx2 has tons of little things that show they thought hard whilst keepijg the price fair. But who knows may soon rise to the traxxas bar. But axial doesnt need court fees lol. 

6 minutes ago, RCbutcher said:

Ide buy the axial. The trx4 is very cool but traxxas is turning into a beast. They charge us loads more then spend it in court trying to shut down rival brands. 

Theyve had plenty of time to design reliable gears. But don't want reliable gears. They take parts usually one size fits all then makes sure none fit. Locking to traxxas or £££ upgrade gears. Revo rrp foc set taught me that. Whilst most trucks have gears to rival rrp as standard. 

Idk what tricks the trx4 has but i bet its alot. The xmaxx felt like the point they decided ground up builds to bleed after sales. 

Trx4 is cool tho i do like it. But i wouldnt buy one until people have had them over a year. But a guy on YouTube is truly thrashing hie trx4 on 6s castle powerd 50mph at the bmx park. So that will give a clue idk if it survived yet. But looked in one peice except the body was pounded. 

Then axial who seem to be all about pleasing their fans. The scx2 has tons of little things that show they thought hard whilst keepijg the price fair. But who knows may soon rise to the traxxas bar. But axial doesnt need court fees lol. 

Absolute rubbish, so many people “hate” on the traxxas just because it is, end of.

type trx4 into eBay, last check was about 1400 odd listing, Asia tees, rcmart all littered with aftermarket parts for both the trx4 and scx10.2.

@DBXL Smithy, get opinions of these from actual owners, not just hearsay or because they looked at one online.

simple answer from me would be both, they BOTH have earned a place to be in my collection.

biggest problem with the Axial was its non availability to begin with.

not to make it easier but what about the carisma sca1e.......

I agree with big gaz. Done hours of research asking loads of owners of both. Searching online for parts and upgrades. Both are equally great. Pricewise once you get a scx10ii kit and all the bits plus a 2 speed gear box the price is the same as a trx4.

End of the day i went for the scx10ii but i will be getting a trx4 aswel at a later point if funds allow and im waiting to see what the kit version is like. Being released in feb i think

Btw both have adjustable wheel bases. I think they are at 313mm by default but easy to change about

21 minutes ago, DBXL Smithy said:

Don't like it, honestly Jeep Wrangler body is the only body I love on a crawler.

It's just that modern realistic look. :)

I remember the real thing back in the mists of time, yes that was the ‘70s :o.

12 hours ago, QRC said:

Ahh but just look at this shell for next year,

https://traxxas.com/news/new-product/sema-preview

im not a fan of this either

would like to see some more recent car designs, the range sport would be nice to have

atm im liking the 2011 ford raptor